Smokers / Grills

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I didn't even get a direct reply from them, just an email showing a new chimney was ordered and on it's way.
That’s the way customer service should be!

I’d suggest getting that smoking gasket Lanx Lanx is talking about. Easy to cut and apply, seals up all your leaks. Makes a huge different on the door.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I will order it and put it on when the new chimney comes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Why is this an either/or proposition?

1612741852096.png

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I will order it and put it on when the new chimney comes.
what i learned is that you might want to make the top half a bit thicker (in clock terms 11/12/1 o clock), b/c the way the chimneys bolts on at 3 and 9 oclock, it becomes bottom heavy and it sags an extra mm or 2 at 6 oclock.

i mean this is of course if you don't have ocd and make it so that smoke ONLY exits through the chimney, but it's easy to see when you grill at 10degrees and you see the smoke exit, heh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I listen to a 8 hour series on the history of the Holy Roman Empire while smoking ribs

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
OK, I'll probably be back reading this thread again later this week for a sad /guilt purchase to make me feel better after the Chiefs got schooled.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Why so adamant against the pellet smoker? My brother just got that Masterbuilt one but it's a Christmas gift so he hasn't been able to use it yet.

How does your brother in law like his? I ended up getting the Gravity Series 800 which has the griddle option in it. So far I love it. Being able to smoke a ribeye at 225 then swap out to the flat top to sear at 700 is great. Thing really chews through charcoal which would be my only negative so far. Also it arrived with both grates broken in the same spot. Looked to me like a bad lot from casters since the break is in the same spot. Also back ordered till june for the replacements but at least the broken ones still function

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Recommendations for a grill < $200 that can be left at a rental property for guests to use?
obviously you need propane, and at < $200, just get whatever special char-boil walmart has on special

maybe spend a bit more and get a more permanent looking grill
905ab0eb7f4334a0e72a2bd44aff975f.png

probably better cuz it'll stay in place

most of the < $200 ones have the wheels where you take em in and out of the garage
45fc1440cf343b791c03e8afa887b7bb.png

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Recommendations for a grill < $200 that can be left at a rental property for guests to use?
The only thing that you can get at that price that won't be a complete piece of shit is a Weber Kettle. Maybe charcoal isn't an option but $200 gas grills are worthless.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The only thing that you can get at that price that won't be a complete piece of shit is a Weber Kettle. Maybe charcoal isn't an option but $200 gas grills are worthless.
the renters would burn down his rental property

hell, i still remember just recently, idiots in texas were cold and wanted bbq in their house and burned downed the block.

thats why he should also get a grill w/o wheels, cuz renters would probably move that grill around and melt his wall siding

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
the renters would burn down his rental property

hell, i still remember just recently, idiots in texas were cold and wanted bbq in their house and burned downed the block.

thats why he should also get a grill w/o wheels, cuz renters would probably move that grill around and melt his wall siding

I used to live in a second floor apartment that didn't allow charcoal and my next door neighbors set their balcony on fire with a Weber Smokey Joe. They got kicked out but I thought it was a great idea and got one myself since the balconies had concrete floors and solid railings so no one can see what is on your balcony. I'm not a retard so it worked out fine. The people across the alley from my grandmother's house burned their house down with a gas grill by pushing it up against their vinyl siding so gas grills aren't retard proof either.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
What do you want to do with it?
I'd like to be able to smoke up to a turkey, but after looking around that seems like it might be asking too much for a homeowner-level smoker. Especially when I doubt I'd ever actually bother with turkey at all.

I was looking at some that were rectangular and had several shelves, which seemed like they'd be good for pork butts or similar.

Things some friends and I have talked about has been stuff like sausages, brisket, pastrami, etc.

I thought wood pellet brought a lot of convenience.

I don't really need one that is also a grill (we have a grill), but if there is one of the offset ones that can also be used as a grill, I don't think I'd balk

EDIT: my friends and I aren't BBQ snobs, like some folks in KC are. We're really wanting to try our hand at "Texas" style BBQ, which I guess is to say: we're wanting to focus on stuff that can stand on it's own, w/o needing sauce on it.

We've joked about getting a BBQ trailer, but we're also realistic and want to start out small to learn WTF we're actually doing. (and right now, none of us wants to park a trailer in the yard)

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd like to be able to smoke up to a turkey, but after looking around that seems like it might be asking too much for a homeowner-level smoker. Especially when I doubt I'd ever actually bother with turkey at all.

I was looking at some that were rectangular and had several shelves, which seemed like they'd be good for pork butts or similar.

Things some friends and I have talked about has been stuff like sausages, brisket, pastrami, etc.

I thought wood pellet brought a lot of convenience.

I don't really need one that is also a grill (we have a grill), but if there is one of the offset ones that can also be used as a grill, I don't think I'd balk

EDIT: my friends and I aren't BBQ snobs, like some folks in KC are. We're really wanting to try our hand at "Texas" style BBQ, which I guess is to say: we're wanting to focus on stuff that can stand on it's own, w/o needing sauce on it.

We've joked about getting a BBQ trailer, but we're also realistic and want to start out small to learn WTF we're actually doing. (and right now, none of us wants to park a trailer in the yard)
my beginner smoker (w/ the sq in shown)

can smoke a 20lb turkey if i remove the top rack
ebfb74875a1b2157383613114f10ead6.png

really the only thing smaller than that is the davy crockett
2d42c3a9d3a28f1835d19e1d5b10d52b.png

idk if you were wondering if size was a limitation

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure what exact ones I was looking at last, but they were similar to this one I think