Smokers / Grills

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'd like to be able to smoke up to a turkey, but after looking around that seems like it might be asking too much for a homeowner-level smoker. Especially when I doubt I'd ever actually bother with turkey at all.

I was looking at some that were rectangular and had several shelves, which seemed like they'd be good for pork butts or similar.

Things some friends and I have talked about has been stuff like sausages, brisket, pastrami, etc.

I thought wood pellet brought a lot of convenience.

I don't really need one that is also a grill (we have a grill), but if there is one of the offset ones that can also be used as a grill, I don't think I'd balk

EDIT: my friends and I aren't BBQ snobs, like some folks in KC are. We're really wanting to try our hand at "Texas" style BBQ, which I guess is to say: we're wanting to focus on stuff that can stand on it's own, w/o needing sauce on it.

We've joked about getting a BBQ trailer, but we're also realistic and want to start out small to learn WTF we're actually doing. (and right now, none of us wants to park a trailer in the yard)

It doesn't take an exceptionally large smoker to cook a turkey. I did a 36 lb bird in my Yoder YS640 a couple thanksgivings ago but lots of smokers could hold a regular sized bird. Electric, propane, and pellet grills can all be "set it and forget it" to some extent. Wood or charcoal smokers used to be more difficult to regulate but these new gravity fed charcoal smokers with a built in fan and temperature controller are pretty good at taking care of themselves as well.

I'd say think about what your price range is and what appeals to you. I think propane is probably the best bang for the buck but pellet grills are great (I use one) and electric smokers put out great stuff too and are pretty inexpensive. Don't get those stupid Bradley electric smokers that take the special little hockey pucks instead of wood chips unless you love paying 10x as much as you should for wood and having to find a bradley dealership every time you run out of them. Pellets or charcoal will cost you more than electric or propane for cooking as well as when you buy them. A bag of pellets costs about $15 and a long cook can use the whole thing. From what my brother has seen the gravity charcoal is similar.

This website has great guides and reviews of almost every smoker in existence. I've posted it in this thread many times already but I stand by it. Pretty much everything you need to know about BBQ you can find there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure what exact ones I was looking at last, but they were similar to this one I think

An offset smoker will probably get you some street cred but they're some of the most difficult to use. If you want to spend all day on a Sunday babysitting your smoker then that would be an option but I think I'd go for something with electronic temperature control personally. They do have the benefit of not requiring electricity if you want to take it camping or something.

• 1Like

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
The only thing that you can get at that price that won't be a complete piece of shit is a Weber Kettle. Maybe charcoal isn't an option but $200 gas grills are worthless.
Totally agree. If you want gas, get the cheapest model Weber over anything else or you’re throwing your money away

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking at buying a new pellet grill during this year's Father's Day sales and could use some advice. I have a Weber gas grill I love but I want something to be used 90% for smoking.

After reading this whole thread I've basically narrowed it down to one of the following:
1. Traeger Pro 780
2. Pit Boss Navigator or Sportsman
3. Rec tec RT 700
4. Other???

Traeger seems to generally be indicated as overpriced, but seems like everyone still loves them, indicating to me they must be at least a solid bet for the money. Bass Pro also has them marked down 100 bucks this weekend for fathers day. Maybe a little overpriced vs Pit Boss but a safer purchase? Someone mentioned that Pro's have more issues than the Ironwood series, but comparing them it seems like they just add a bunch of bells and whistles and nearly doubled the cost. I'm looking for durable, core functionality.

The Pit Boss that Tarrant was raving about is showing marked down from $600 to $215 on Lowe's website which raises some red flags. The Sportsman looks nearly identical to a traeger at half the price, which seems like a no-brainer but does make me a little concerned they cut corners on the things you don't see (i.e. electronics, internal components - the shit that i really worry about breaking). The Navigators in the price range of the Traeger seem pretty sweet and much bigger, but again have some of the concerns about cutting corners.

Rec Tec looks awesome, and is clearly the high-end of what I'm considering. Downside is cost and I'd prefer to buy something in person, but the value seems to be there so neither is a dealbreaker.

I've never had a pellet grill, so not sure if the cheaper ones are more likely to break down after a couple years or not. Reading reviews is such a mix of "best smoker ever!" and "utter piece of shit broke immediately" that it's hard to make an informed decision haha.

Thanks in advance homies, you're the only strangers I trust

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Looking at buying a new pellet grill during this year's Father's Day sales and could use some advice. I have a Weber gas grill I love but I want something to be used 90% for smoking.

After reading this whole thread I've basically narrowed it down to one of the following:
1. Traeger Pro 780
3. Rec tec RT 700
4. Other???

Traeger seems to generally be indicated as overpriced, but seems like everyone still loves them, indicating to me they must be at least a solid bet for the money. Bass Pro also has them marked down 100 bucks this weekend for fathers day. Maybe a little overpriced vs Pit Boss but a safer purchase? Someone mentioned that Pro's have more issues than the Ironwood series, but comparing them it seems like they just add a bunch of bells and whistles and nearly doubled the cost. I'm looking for durable, core functionality.

The Pit Boss that Tarrant was raving about is showing marked down from $600 to $215 on Lowe's website which raises some red flags. The Sportsman looks nearly identical to a traeger at half the price, which seems like a no-brainer but does make me a little concerned they cut corners on the things you don't see (i.e. electronics, internal components - the shit that i really worry about breaking). The Navigators in the price range of the Traeger seem pretty sweet and much bigger, but again have some of the concerns about cutting corners.

Rec Tec looks awesome, and is clearly the high-end of what I'm considering. Downside is cost and I'd prefer to buy something in person, but the value seems to be there so neither is a dealbreaker.

I've never had a pellet grill, so not sure if the cheaper ones are more likely to break down after a couple years or not. Reading reviews is such a mix of "best smoker ever!" and "utter piece of shit broke immediately" that it's hard to make an informed decision haha.

for a low end one i'd just go with the pit boss and plan on replacing it every few years

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone got a good recommendation for a simple charcoal grill for fathers day? The one my dad has is an old rusted out piece of shit that doesnt even have legs anymore (he has it propped up on concrete blocks). I'm thinking just a plain old Weber kettle.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone got a good recommendation for a simple charcoal grill for fathers day? The one my dad has is an old rusted out piece of shit that doesnt even have legs anymore (he has it propped up on concrete blocks). I'm thinking just a plain old Weber kettle.
get him the tricked out web with the massive table and electric propane ignite
71539e8f6153d6034098f155723a16e5.png

i'm sure he's tired of using the chimney to ignite the briquetes

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
get him the tricked out web with the massive table and electric propane ignite
71539e8f6153d6034098f155723a16e5.png

i'm sure he's tired of using the chimney to ignite the briquetes
the weber charcoal chimney is awesome. 20 bucks, never use lighter fluid again or that fucking Match Light that makes your food taste like gasoline. Gav, a simple Weber kettle is about a hundred bucks, get some weber lighter cubes and of course the Weber Charcoal chimney. the kettle and chimney will last a lifetime. make sure you get a cover for the weber with it. no more rust

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the weber charcoal chimney is awesome. 20 bucks, never use lighter fluid again or that fucking Match Light that makes your food taste like gasoline. Gav, a simple Weber kettle is about a hundred bucks, get some weber lighter cubes and of course the Weber Charcoal chimney. the kettle and chimney will last a lifetime. make sure you get a cover for the weber with it. no more rust
100bucks gets you the garbage weber w/o the catch can, AT LEAST get the swoosh swoosh metal can
12fecdd86b142f8a1eab50d8810214ee.png

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If you want to spend $300 for whatever the fuck that ignition system is, then that's probably an option. Personally I'd buy a regular kettle and a chimney starter for $200 total.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
100bucks gets you the garbage weber w/o the catch can, AT LEAST get the swoosh swoosh metal can
12fecdd86b142f8a1eab50d8810214ee.png
i have a Weber Performer. its the exact same kettle as the"garbage Weber". the catch can is indeed good. but its just fucking ash. nobody cares if ash gets on the ground. that piezo lighter is fucking garbage. it gets just a little bit of moisture on it then its toast. its the first thing to break.

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider

1. Traeger Pro 780
3. Rec tec RT 700
4. Other???

I have had a green mountain pellet smoker for 3 years now and I love it, bought it local and have only had to replace the ignitor up to this point. Many briskets used at least once a week.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i'm not a gas grill guy. but this one is pretty pimpin. if i ever go full Hank Hill. i will be getting this one.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider

1. Traeger Pro 780
3. Rec tec RT 700
4. Other???

I own a Traeger and a Rec Tec and would recommend the Rec Tec over the Traeger. The Rec Tec for me holds temperature much better based on the better features. Pound for pound you get more bang for your buck with the Rec Tec when you do a side by side comparison to the RT 700 model. Plus their customer service is outstanding.

• 1Like

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thanks for the advice. Probably leaning toward the Rec Tec now. They ever go on sale or should I just pull the trigger?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
yeah went with a 22" kettle + cover and chimney, thanks for the recommendations. My folks are gonna be on vacation for actual father's day so I'll just surprise him early.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah went with a 22" kettle + cover and chimney, thanks for the recommendations. My folks are gonna be on vacation for actual father's day so I'll just surprise him early.
did you get him the weber chimney? cuz it has a cool swing helper handle