Smokers / Grills

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I totally forgot to post about this here.

Last Spring I bought a Blackstone from Costco. This thing is fucking amazing smash burgers are unreal! Breakfast has never been better! Oh and did you just finish sous vide some flank stank? Fire up the Blackstone for a perfect sear.

1694568112146.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Don't have the exact weight yet, Butcher is $390, and about $900 to the neighbor, maybe a smidge less I think it came under estimated weight but he figured about 225lbs for $1300. I bet it's something like 210lbs maybe in final plus bones. Hope they give me a copy of cut sheet since they did over phone.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My gmg is starting to freak out again..tripping the breaker on the plug. Going to start saving for a new grill for next year. Probably will go pellet again since my kamado is going strong still. I repaired the ceramic inner ring with refractory cement This spring.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Last Spring I bought a Blackstone from Costco. This thing is fucking amazing smash burgers are unreal! Breakfast has never been better! Oh and did you just finish sous vide some flank stank? Fire up the Blackstone for a perfect sear.

View attachment 490422
What model did you get? I'm trying to decide between the 60k but models vs the 36k and if I'll ever notice the difference.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Don't have the exact weight yet, Butcher is $390, and about $900 to the neighbor, maybe a smidge less I think it came under estimated weight but he figured about 225lbs for $1300. I bet it's something like 210lbs maybe in final plus bones. Hope they give me a copy of cut sheet since they did over phone.
Oh jeez, yeah I think mine was like 325 lbs or something. I’ll call the processor tomorrow, since we did it all by phone I didn’t even grab a copy when I went to pick up 🐄

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
So you will not get high enough temps on a pellet to really get that sear you are looking for. With Black Friday coming up and Cyber Monday I would wait until then if you can and you can usually save a couple hundred bucks. I have a Masterbuilt 800 with the griddle attachment. it Cooks awesome and almost as good as my offset as long as you know what you're doing. If you get one of those Master builts you'll want to get some of the mods that'll make it last longer and cook a little better. One of the things with the gravity fed is if you go from low and slow to hot and fast and don't clean out the inside you can get grease fires. I avoid that by putting a full size foil pan down when I'm smoking to capture all the drippings and then I have that to make gravy if I so choose as well. It also helps change the Dynamics of the air flow in the device and gives you a little bit better cooking in my opinion. Depending on how many people you're cooking for and you want just the convenience of a pellet pooper then get whatever you want and buy a cheap Weber kettle and do your high heat grilling on that. As far as switching out wood types you can do that easily with the gravity fed and change your Dynamics in add more wood chunks or chips depending on what you want to do. Shoot me a message if you have any more questions as I have basically cooked on nearly every type of grill out there. One thing you can always do if you just want to impart pellet flavors just get a tube and put it in your cooking chamber and pellet smoke will come out and give you that light smoke if you're doing fish or cheese or something like that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

View attachment 490422
I want one. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Keep hoping prices will dip.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What model did you get? I'm trying to decide between the 60k but models vs the 36k and if I'll ever notice the difference.
36" 4 Burners with Hood. Looks like the pic I posted, except I think my hood is rounder than that one.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pick up my half on the 30th. Didnt notice this thread b4. I've mentioned in the other threads. If there's one thing I'm a utter bitch cuck about it is I have no idea what I'm doing with meat outside of burger and chicken breasts.

Made worse, outside my stove/toaster/air fryer, my current grill is this POS my wife thought was a good idea as a gift. (I said please no and she just got angry at me.)
Or very similiar to it.

Was fun when they called me for my cut sheet. I had no idea on some of them on bone in/out, tenderized or not. A few other choices I didnjt know about. Passed on the liver, took some bones for the dogs.
May be difficult to read and isn't as detailed as normal since it was done over the phone in their notes, but this is how ours broke out.

610 was the dress weight and we did half so 305 lbs. We just didn't use all the roasts last year so opted to grind the arm. We opted for no ribs also b/c beef ribs are okay but I just didn't want to deal with them. Took the offals b/c it seemed fun to try and find something to use them for. I honestly don't remember the conversation about the sirloin tip so not sure who opted to tenderize it, but we have plenty of strip meat. Probably not as efficient as we could do but we'll know even more next year.

1694629331859.png

Kiki

Log Wizard
So you will not get high enough temps on a pellet to really get that sear you are looking for.

I don't have this problem. I can get above 500F without even pushing, I actually burnt up some thermoworks grill thermometers because I got them too hot. I'm just using a cheap pit boss with the sear plate, I put my steak on the jet engine and start flippin. I would like to upgrade to a traeger or something to get wifi adjustments.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure about if other brands do it but my yoder has an offset pellet box on left side. Take the diffusion plate cutout (they add for cleaning out the box easily) off and you have an open flame that works perfect with GrillGrate brand grates. I gave away my gas weber grill a few months ago cause we never used it - do all grilling over that flame now. For larger grill projects this may not work as your flame area is about the size of a large dinner plate but with good management grilling you can move stuff around and off to side for an even cook on bulkier cooks. I've done like 50 party wings just rotating them in and out of the flame zone.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't have this problem. I can get above 500F without even pushing, I actually burnt up some thermoworks grill thermometers because I got them too hot. I'm just using a cheap pit boss with the sear plate, I put my steak on the jet engine and start flippin. I would like to upgrade to a traeger or something to get wifi adjustments.

Yeah my Davey Crockett from Green Mountain doesn’t really have an issue with it either. That Costco one looks pretty nice TBH. I use my small Weber charcoal usually but could be swayed to picking up the other one also.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have a small 22 inch blackstone that I use for camping and I love it.

Whelp, I bought the 22 inch Blackstone because I found it for a stupid good price with the stand, hood, and 20lb tank line. I got a frankly ridiculous price on it. Can't believe Walmart immediately marked them down this much, as the week before I was in there looking for deals and this model was full price ($185 before tax).
2e7d8cd7-e85c-4238-af3a-e8043d4057c8.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have that one too. Don’t put a lot of faith in the stand, it’s a little janky/wobbly…but it works okay.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I still haven't pulled the trigger on a smoker yet. Waiting to see if black Friday holds any surprises, but currently leaning towards this :

I had a couple deals hit at work so I have some "Treat Yo Self" money to go through.... As I think was mentioned before the only real knock on this one I've heard was that the option to do direct flame for searing was lacking in that you don't get a large area for searing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user