Smokers / Grills

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Man don’t they make the ones with the large ceramic coated grates anymore? Turn your grill to 500 and those things get super hot and sear the shot out of anything.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Man don’t they make the ones with the large ceramic coated grates anymore? Turn your grill to 500 and those things get super hot and sear the shot out of anything.

Interesting. It's at least probably easier to clean, no more brass brushes.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Interesting. It's at least probably easier to clean, no more brass brushes.
Yeah I have a pro series as well, here’s the grates on mine (With 6 chickens so you get an idea of size).

IMG_5697.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I finally picked up my easy bake oven...

1702776782232.png

Plan on breaking it in tomorrow with some chicken and a brisket later this week.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I finally picked up my easy bake oven...

View attachment 504518

Plan on breaking it in tomorrow with some chicken and a brisket later this week.

I got one on sale thinking i would eventually get a gas grill also and haven't found the need. It's amazing. Granted, I really don't cook frozen burgers every night where I want to bake them at 500 degrees within 3 minutes so I don't mind the time.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So now I will hit with the utter newb question. I won't have time to practice and get shit really right enough to trust myself to do all the meats for Xmas dinner. I will be smoking an inaugural brisket in it this week. (it's in the fridge, I figure to rub it tomorrow, and smoke it on tuesday). We have a pre-cooked turkey and ham (the usual "grab it from Sam's and go" variety). I should be able to drop those in on xmas morning at a low temp wrapped in foil and with temp sensors in to get them to a good internal temp right? ( Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus could heat em in the oven, but I'm trying to take workload off her on Xmas day)

We figure a 9lb ham, 13 lb turkey, and then pending the brisket going well Sous Vide reheating around 4-5 lb of brisket. Should cover 15 people by my estimation.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah that should work fine. Just do the same thing you would do in the oven.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So now I will hit with the utter newb question. I won't have time to practice and get shit really right enough to trust myself to do all the meats for Xmas dinner. I will be smoking an inaugural brisket in it this week. (it's in the fridge, I figure to rub it tomorrow, and smoke it on tuesday). We have a pre-cooked turkey and ham (the usual "grab it from Sam's and go" variety). I should be able to drop those in on xmas morning at a low temp wrapped in foil and with temp sensors in to get them to a good internal temp right? ( Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus could heat em in the oven, but I'm trying to take workload off her on Xmas day)

We figure a 9lb ham, 13 lb turkey, and then pending the brisket going well Sous Vide reheating around 4-5 lb of brisket. Should cover 15 people by my estimation.
Yes but depends on what you're trying to accomplish time wise. Foil kills a lot of your convective heating with smoke, and pellet grills have a relatively small area above the heat source rather than distributed adjustable like gas. If you put it in foil you're going to need to use oven temps and just keep them from right above the burn pit and rotate them around.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yes but depends on what you're trying to accomplish time wise. Foil kills a lot of your convective heating with smoke, and pellet grills have a relatively small area above the heat source rather than distributed adjustable like gas. If you put it in foil you're going to need to use oven temps and just keep them from right above the burn pit and rotate them around.
That is what I was worried about, but not putting any foil over them I worry about drying the things out since they are pre-cooked. I literally looked at three local stores and couldn't find an uncooked turkey, it was kinda odd....

The alternative would be pans with no covering foil, and then baste juices over the meats every so often to keep moisture going. Much like using an oven.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That is what I was worried about, but not putting any foil over them I worry about drying the things out since they are pre-cooked. I literally looked at three local stores and couldn't find an uncooked turkey, it was kinda odd....
If you are all ok with the smokey flavor, it's not going to dry them out if you go low and slow. Granted, who knows how they were prepped. If you want to be safe do a quick butter injection on the bird. Don't know if you can save a Canadian Bacon roast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well... Before trying to use it as a glorified reheater for Xmas. Trying first brisket tonight.

12 hours at 200
Wrap and raise temp to 260
Temp sensor to trigger at 195, remove at 210 to rest.

Using a very basic salt/pepper/garlic powder rub.

Odd being taken on :
  • Good brisket
  • Dry brisket
  • Poisoning myself and my wife
  • Catching the entire place on fire overnight (Added by wife even though it's 8' from anything flammable)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well... Before trying to use it as a glorified reheater for Xmas. Trying first brisket tonight.

12 hours at 200
Wrap and raise temp to 260
Temp sensor to trigger at 195, remove at 210 to rest.

Using a very basic salt/pepper/garlic powder rub.

Odd being taken on :
  • Good brisket
  • Dry brisket
  • Poisoning myself and my wife
  • Catching the entire place on fire overnight (Added by wife even though it's 8' from anything flammable)
if you put a stainless steel pan (or just a foil pan) off water or you spray it occassionally, it won't be dry

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
if you put a stainless steel pan (or just a foil pan) off water or you spray it occassionally, it won't be dry
Plan on spritzing before wrap, and there's a tray on the rack under the brisket to trap drippings....

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well...

12 hours low and slow (200 temp, 175 final probe temp) When I took it out to wrap just the pressure from my picking it up was causing juice to flow out.
1703083854786.png

Lesson 1 from first brisket, be a little more aggressive trimming fat cap on top. (This was fat side up)

How else have I ruined this magnificent piece of meat?

Now it has been wrapped in butcher paper, and is back in at 260 with a target probe temp of 200-210 to call "done" and then rest. Putting the probe back in only took maybe 10% the pressure that putting it into the cold meat took ,so I will take that as a good omen for the tenderness.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Well...

12 hours low and slow (200 temp, 175 final probe temp) When I took it out to wrap just the pressure from my picking it up was causing juice to flow out.
View attachment 505071

Lesson 1 from first brisket, be a little more aggressive trimming fat cap on top. (This was fat side up)

How else have I ruined this magnificent piece of meat?

Now it has been wrapped in butcher paper, and is back in at 260 with a target probe temp of 200-210 to call "done" and then rest. Putting the probe back in only took maybe 10% the pressure that putting it into the cold meat took ,so I will take that as a good omen for the tenderness.
I've had good luck with the Franklin BBQ wrap. You throw a few tablespoons of tallow on top when wrapping to keep the briskets super moist.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I've had good luck with the Franklin BBQ wrap. You throw a few tablespoons of tallow on top when wrapping to keep the briskets super moist.
I had run off tallow in that pan under it. Kept that in a jar to the side to liberally reapply during wrapping and it seemed to be effective. End result was a solid brisket, juicy but not quite as "stupidly tender" as I tend to like it, but still "cut with a fork". Also not as much bark as I prefer. But I can work on that too. Smoke ring was very solid, but I expected that with 12 hours at a low temp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I need a new smoker. I have owned a couple of electric models that worked great for me but the controllers eventually died. Other than that, I have had great results using them for chicken, ribs, shoulders, and especially brisket.

RANT. I also have a Traeger but I guess I am atypical in that I think it is a piece of shit. Very disappointed with that purchase. Mine had buggy code for the first two years, has not held up well and, most importantly, it tries to be both a smoker and a grill and is mediocre at both. As smoker, it imparts very little flavor and, as a grill it does not provide good direct heat so you end up doing stupid shit like reverse sears on steaks, which means cooking them for a fucking hour and you still don't get a good sear. I also seem to get fires on it at high temps even though I clean it every few uses. END RANT.

Anyway, I am thinking about going with a big boy real wood smoker but I am hesitant for a few reasons. 1) A lot of them seem to not be built well. 2) I frequently start briskets the night before serving them for lunch the following day. With an electric smoker, I can just get up once in the night to add some chips and I am good to go. Worried about having babysit temperature on an old school smoker. 3) Expense. I am not looking to start a food truck so I don't want to spend a fortune.

Hook me up boys. Green egg? Offset smoker?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Maybe wrong place to ask - I'm looking to get a large griddle going (28"+ at least) and see that a company called steelmade makes a stove top griddle that looks like it could work - am I missing out using something like that vs a stand alone griddle for use outside?