Smokers / Grills

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Picked up one of these at our new place recently and I have to say they are freaking amazing:

REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill Bundle with Free Shipping

Built like a tank, 6 year warranty and the ease of use / cooking is just amazing. Friend of mine had one for about a year and that is a big reason why I even considered getting one. I never really thought much about getting a smoker / grill because I was under the assumption they were all a total pain in the balls to use. Constantly checking your heat, adjusting your fire etc. Not true with this baby. Set it and forget it. Works with the ease of an oven but you get amazing product without the hassle. Its so easy it almost feels like cheating. T

Tried to cook everything from large birds, to chicken wigs, breasts, thighs, roasts, steaks, corn, pizza, veggies etc.. Amazing how well everything comes out. The Searing kit works great for high temps. I could probably live without the front shelf and if I had to do it again I'd order as many sets of 200lbs bags of pellets they'd ship me as its a great deal.

Anyone, and I mean anyone that is interested in BBQ needs to check these out. Expensive, but amazing. Should easily last 10 or 15 years of heavy use.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Green Egg - great smoker, great grill in general due to being able to get very high temperatures.

Traeger - amazing smoker, terrible to use as a "grill" as it does not get hot enough to sear a steak for instance. It does use Wood Pellets so your stash will not go to waste

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a big green egg and I love it for grilling, but I still think about getting an electric smoker all the time. It might offend the purists, but being able to set it and forget it is just so damn great. Every time I talk to one of my friends/relatives that have an electric smoker I get jealous.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I have a big green egg and I love it for grilling, but I still think about getting an electric smoker all the time. It might offend the purists, but being able to set it and forget it is just so damn great. Every time I talk to one of my friends/relatives that have an electric smoker I get jealous.
I love my Traeger for this reason. I set the temp., put meat in, go to work and then come back 9 hours later to perfectly smoked food. Cool thing about Traegers is they function like a convection oven and cook evenly. No direct heat, so almost impossible to burn something.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Traeger and Green Eggs are FANTASTIC! Traeger for the ease and the Green Egg for the satisfaction of real heat. Both high high priced and somewhat takes the fun out of smoking on an old school built on grill smoker with real wood chips. For the weekend warrior I love pool parties, beers, cigars and the constant smoking on an old skool smoke box. Nothing beats it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
After doing some research I have decided that I want aGreen Mountain Grill. I just trying to decide on the size and whether to get the WiFi option. The WiFi seems like it would be really cool in theory but in practice I like to physically check on my meat. Does anyone have a GMG with WiFi? Pros? Cons?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't have that particular one, but I will say that if you are cooking overnight it's pretty damn awesome to just set an alarm every couple hours, roll over and look at your laptop to see that all is well in the smoker, and go back to sleep.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I did some more reading and I even downloaded the app, I think I will get one with the WiFi. Now it just comes down to size, I am leaning toward the Daniel Boone as I think the Jim Bowie is just more than I need. I will reserve that final decision for next week though when the local dealer reloads his stock.

I did not mention this earlier but the reason I want a GMG is because it is both a Smoker and a Grill.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Long smoke you can just eye ball the temp and not worry about it. You can also get one of the many wireless thermometers which do the same thing.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have done a fair amount of eyeballing over the years as well using battery powered Meat Thermometers. I have slaved over a wood heated homemade smoker my neighbor made and then moved on to a red electric (pictured below) for a little more ease of use. I think after 8 years I am ready to graduate to something nice with all the bells and whistles.

rrr_img_93191.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would love something that does cold smoking consistently. 135F or thereabouts, for sausage and stuff like that.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So excited! I should be picking up my GMG tomorrow assuming the store gets their shipment in as expected.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Picked up my GMG today! I opted for the Daniel Boone (mid-size) with Wifi. Running it for an hour at a high temp for burn off factory chemicals etc. When that is done it is time for a burger, then tonight I will put on a pork shoulder to smoke overnight.

rrr_img_93738.jpg

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The burgers I made last night were awesome. I have been without a grill for the last year because of our relocation. It was so nice watching the burgers over that grill last night, I did not realize how much I missed it. I held off on doing the Pork Shoulder overnight because I just want to be a little more hands on for the 1st run.

The shoulder is about 8.5 lbs so I am aiming for 8-10 hours at 230

Here is the pork when I put it on at 8am
rrr_img_93774.jpg

and here it is after 3.5 hours.
rrr_img_93775.jpg

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
i might my lose my Texan card, but i prefer a port shoulder in the crockpot. toss in w/ some onions, canned tomatoes, green salsa, 8 hours and its the best pork tacos you'll ever have.

i'm not a fan of ribs so never tried to smoke those.

every thanksgiving/xmas i smoke a turkey. cut the breasts and legs off night before to brine, then smoke the 4 parts for a few hours. cooks a lot faster than a whole turkey in the oven and more moist. i'll cook the remaining bones and wings night before to make stock for gravy & stuffing.

steaks? get my large cast iron pan on the stove.

that leaves brisket which I haven't tried yet either but should.

my pit/smoker doesn't get as much attention as it should.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The burgers I made last night were awesome. I have been without a grill for the last year because of our relocation. It was so nice watching the burgers over that grill last night, I did not realize how much I missed it. I held off on doing the Pork Shoulder overnight because I just want to be a little more hands on for the 1st run.

The shoulder is about 8.5 lbs so I am aiming for 8-10 hours at 230

Here is the pork when I put it on at 8am
rrr_img_93774.jpg

and here it is after 3.5 hours.
rrr_img_93775.jpg
What is your rub recipe?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Pork rub:

? cup salt
? cup turbinado sugar
? cup granulated brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Siliconemelons

As this title said grill...

I was looking for a cheaper grill and could not find anything really worth a shot around 100-150... I was just going to save for a Weber when I build a deck and outdoor kitchen but I wanted something small to use until then.

I saw a CharBroid True InfaRed Pro Series at Lowes on clearance for 200 - its just a two burner- for now that's fine, less gas and only really grilling for me and the wife. The infared stuff does what it says, and it cooks really well and the pro series from lowes has cast iron plates on top of the wavy infared plates and does an awesome sear- things taste like restaurant cooked steaks, they do not taste like traditional grill cooked steaks...that sounds odd but is the best way I can describe it.

Pros: things really do remain jucy- even veggies etc.

Cons: those darn plates are a BIG pain to clean, and even with me cleaning them and coating them front and back in oil they are rusting @ 1.5 months in, kept in the garage... replacements if not "covered" will cost 50-100$ if I care to replace them and not just use the cast iron grates and run it as a traditional grill.

IMO Infared cooks great and does what it claims, but comes at a very high cleaning time cost and even monetary cost on upkeep/replacement - they need to just move to a different or better material for those infared grates that can withstand absorbing and redistributing high heat over and over again.