SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I am looking forward to the next round of NES Classics. FF 1 was one of the very first JRPGs I ever played. I played the living shit out of it with one of my friends at the time. Our first party was Fighter, Red Mage, Monk, Monk. After we got the rat tail our monk started be useless shit, so we'd have to kill everything with Knight and Red Wiz. The game never told you to remove weapons from the Masters. So after grinding our way to 99 I tried unequipping their weapons, and those useless fucks became monsters. We went on and murdered the hell out of the last dungeon and that was that.

Siliconemelons

Odd, my zip not avail - my parents - avail (not item, but for prime pro or whatever) and they are only like 25min from me.

My brother found 3 at bestbuy on black Friday - he got me 2 and him 1 - my two are for me and one for mother-in-law... dunno why my wife thinks her mom wants a snes.. But whatevs.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Available in the stores near me. Looks like the next batch hit retail. Walmart and Best Buy had dozens.

Siliconemelons

yes, saw 2 at my local target while getting my kids their switch.

So, now... wtg Nintendo after Christmas it's available!

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
yes, saw 2 at my local target while getting my kids their switch.

So, now... wtg Nintendo after Christmas it's available!

My brother and I got RetroPie kits for each other over Christmas. For <$100 each (RPi 3 kit + SD card + controllers), we both have a system better than the NES Classic and SNES Classic combined.

For me, setup took about 15 mins. I downloaded a "best of" initial set of ROMs in <30 minutes for NES/SNES/Genesis, and I had to troubleshoot HDMI sound for about 15-30 minutes (updated the config file to force HDMI audio to fix SNES audio issue). So about an hour of "hassle".

I'm sure we would have exchanged NES/SNES Classics if they were sitting on a shelf. Since Nintendo is either fucking incompetent with hardware or thinks it boosts demand to restrict supply, we both have a better system that was easy (and educational) to build. Demand is so high on RetroPie that the kits occasionally had a lead time on Amazon.

Let that sink in, you moronic jap fuckpoles: demand is so high on your product, people are selling out SOMEONE ELSE'S equivalent hardware when you could be making that money. Goddamn you are retarded or inept. If they really flood shelves with them right AFTER the holidays, then I can't facepalm hard enough.

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Oh WOW I never heard of RetroPi ever. Certainly never in this thread. Thanks for opening my eyes. This is brand new information. And it is easy to set up you say? And it combines everything of NES Classic and SNES Classic you say?

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
HA, I guess I kind of deserved that.

I actually like the stuff Nintendo makes, so they frustrate me. Either they are making terrible strategic decisions internally, or they have company-wide issues with producing product. It frustrates me more because I work in electronics, so I have a sense of how easily they could meet demand on the Classic systems if they had their shit together.

I know RetroPie has been discussed, I was just agreeing it was as easy as advertised (I figured people were exaggerating the simplicity before I did it). If there's a better thread to share that then my bad, I should have posted it there.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
HA, I guess I kind of deserved that.

I actually like the stuff Nintendo makes, so they frustrate me. Either they are making terrible strategic decisions internally, or they have company-wide issues with producing product. It frustrates me more because I work in electronics, so I have a sense of how easily they could meet demand on the Classic systems if they had their shit together.

I know RetroPie has been discussed, I was just agreeing it was as easy as advertised (I figured people were exaggerating the simplicity before I did it). If there's a better thread to share that then my bad, I should have posted it there.

Hey I am 100% with you, and everytime someone decides it's a good idea to buy or crave one of these things, they need to be reminded. The less people buy this garbage, the more apt Nintendo will be to do what they should have done all along and release a damn subscription based ROM service to run these games on the Switch. That would require common sense and a crucial gauge on their market demo from 2001 though so that's not happening.

With that said they are clearing so much capital cash/profit "Right now" on these things, they cannot see the greener pastures of a subscription based on going revenue service which they can more easily predict, which would sustain them through 2018 in what appears to be a desert land of content for the Switch. A service like this would pull them through 2020.

Szlia

I guess it is also mandatory to remind that a Raspberry Pi 3 + case + SD card + 2 non-garbage controllers + USB cable + HDMI cable is more expensive than a SNES Mini (which you can easily turn into a retropie if you want to, or just add SNES games to its library while keeping the very nice Nintendo UI). Obviously, the big deal is that one is readily available while the other is not.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I guess it is also mandatory to remind that a Raspberry Pi 3 + case + SD card + 2 non-garbage controllers + USB cable + HDMI cable is more expensive than a SNES Mini (which you can easily turn into a retropie if you want to, or just add SNES games to its library while keeping the very nice Nintendo UI). Obviously, the big deal is that one is readily available while the other is not.

Kinda. Most everyone has USB controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWVVMUI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

69. But that's arguing semantics, and I am also (Admittedly) very skewed against Nintendo in this regard because they are not seeing the bigger picture. With that said, I am not sure how the SNES Classic would work since I never bought one to test out retrofitting it, but with this solution I am able to download any rom I want from any classic era, throw it in a specified folder on a USB stick from my computer, and it will download and sort every single game into it's own folder on the Pi (And therefore also place it under it's own category in the UI when it is time to play) and it does that automatically when I stick the USB stick in the Pi. I could literally download 500 games a piece for 2600, Intellivision, Coleco Vision, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Gameboy, GB Advance, Jaguar, N64, Saturn, and PSX with a Bios enhance, and they all run flawlessly on this.

(I am guessing the SNES classic does the same if you just wipe it and install RetroPie and emulation station?) In which case you may have more fun doing it this way anyway :)

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

yeah, ultimately the SNES mini is actually the best way to go if you're going to do the ROM thing. it's really easy to hack and add more ROMs. but then your money goes to nintendo and you actually have to track a box down.

• 1Like