So, I'm dying...

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am very sorry for your loss, Tracy.

We are all better for having Gravy in our ones and zeros lives.

*His* fantasy football league will carry on as long as there is a forum.

moontayle

Golden Squire
It's impossible to put into perspective what Brian brought to this community, because he was only a small part of the whole. But know this:

He was respected. Someone else mentioned it earlier, but those Tuconets are a good indicator that far more people liked his contribution than disliked it. In an environment that is built on cynicism and will become moreso as we all get older and more jaded, he was a bright spot. To lose his voice here, I'm not sure I have the words to describe how much many of us will miss it.

Godspeed Gravy-san. I'll be rooting for the Chiefs for you.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just got back to this thread.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuck cancer. I was hoping Gravy could see the Chiefs pound that Patriot ass this weekend.
Was it cancer? I thought it was heart problems.

So, Monday morning I'm getting ready to go back to the hospital to get cardioverted again, and en route, I have a massive heart attack.

I got to the ER, and they take me to the cath lab right away to get any blockages open. Only there weren't any blockages. My atrium have suffered so much damage, they are no longer wanting to work. My ejection fraction was at 8%, which is not very good at all, and the cardiologist went out to tell my wife that I probably wouldn't make it off the table. I could feel myself dying as I lay there, which is a surreal experience. They ended up cardioverting me anyway, and placed a balloon pump in my aorta. Super shitty day, but I made it through the night.

Next day, I find out I'm going to be on the balloon pump, which is basically making my heart pump for another day, and then they'll wean me off and see what happens. Half the staff think I'm a dead man, the other half are saying I've got a couple weeks.

Wednesday, they start to wean me off the pump, and I do fairly well with it, but I'm being heavily supplemented with drugs and oxygen. I'm being told that hospice has been notified, and that I need to get signed up for it ASAP. I actually come hope Wednesday evening and sleep until Thursday evening.

I'm on oxygen here at home, and I haven't signed up for hospice yet, but it will probably happening Monday.

tl;dr I'm dying and it sucks.

Happy to answer any questions or comments when I feel up to being on the computer. I'm also got a morale issue I need to address, and I'd like some feedback, but hopefully I have time to bring that up a bit later.

Uncle Gravy

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Descansa em paz Gravy.

My condolences to Mrs Gravy, family and friends.
Already hate 2016.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, most of him is heading for the earth in the cemetery in which I played as a child (the land adjoins my parents' land). Out of his love for me, we chose a place that is a happy one for me; the cemetery grounds also backs into woods where I still hike and in the Springtime, mushroom hunt.

Parts of him will be going to special places, I haven't decided on all of them yet. Chimayo, NM is one, Knob Noster state park in MO likely one and maybe Door County WI. All special places for us.

Do you guys have your end of life plans in order? I mean I know some of you are not even a quarter century yet but if you have a family - you really should think about it.
All I know for sure is I'm getting cremated, and I want 2 poems read at my funeral. "Do not stand at my grave and weep" (which is why I'm getting cremated) and "The road less traveled". Wife is going to do whatever she wants with my ashes. She's talked about dumping some at Cowboy's stadium at the base of Tom Landry's statue, using some to make a glaze for a bowl or a cup (yes you can do that, her sister teaches ceramics and she's done it before with one of her cat's ashes. It makes a pretty blue color that she likes), and she'll keep some with her.

Mrs Gravy, I'm not sure you're much older than the rest of us unless you were a cougar when you met Gravy. I would bet the average age around here is 40's or 50's. We just act like children.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Extremely saddened by all this. I think we were all hoping beyond hope that somehow he'd stay with us. Even though he was a dirty, rotten Chiefs fan, the sports forum will never be quite the same.

I can't even imagine what you're going through, Mrs. Gravy. Having lost one my best friends to suicide in July, take solace in the fact that you were able to "prepare" for this inevitability we all face. I'm slightly consoled by the fact that he at least got one last holiday with his family.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
We are degenerate as all hell but in no way are we lowlifes (J49 aside, obv). The self-haters can fuck off. This is a welcome oasis of degenerate honesty and animal intelligence. A respite for the min/maxing master race of internet lifeforms. Gravy knew this. I know this. You think he thought himself above Rerolled? Hell to the naw naw. Mr. Potato Syrup had his eyes open. His feet were on the ground. He knew the majestic and primal beauty of this place, and so should all of you marvelous faggots. No homo.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea derp it was, had been avoiding re-reading this thread for a long while after I saw it the 1st time for some reason I was remembering cancer along with everyone else with cancer lately.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Mrs. Gravy, while every indication seems to be that Gravy was an awesome individual that you were lucky to have had as a part of your life, I think we can all agree that Mr. Gravy was the luckier one. I've been single all my life (I'm 46, so don't fret about being older), but if I ever found someone even moderately attractive that could crack a joke about my cremation after I die, I would marry her in an instant.

Again, my condolences. I can't believe how hard it hit me yesterday when I read your very first post about his passing. The words you used literally almost brought me to tears. I'm so sorry, and I hope you can take at least a small amount of strength from sharing with us. Just don't let the inevitable jackasses dictate whether or not you stick around. Because there will be jackasses, trust me. The rest of us would love to have you around though.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Mrs. Gravy, while every indication seems to be that Gravy was an awesome individual that you were lucky to have had as a part of your life, I think we can all agree that Mr. Gravy was the luckier one. I've been single all my life (I'm 46, so don't fret about being older), but if I ever found someone even moderately attractive that could crack a joke about my cremation after I die, I would marry her in an instant.
Welp, here we go.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
In the short time I interacted with Gravy, he was very inspirational to me. I really admired that despite the pain he was reporting, he was trying his hardest to live as long as possible for the people he loved, even during the times he was faced with doubt.

Rest in peace, Gravy.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Rest in peace, Internet stranger.

I am sorry for your loss, Tracy. I will raise a glass of Auchentoshan for Gravy tonight.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Goodbye Gravy.

Mrs. Gravy, I'm glad your husband and now you have found some type of comfort around this community.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Sorry for your loss. I always enjoyed Gravy's posts in the sports threads even if he was Chiefs fan. As a Broncos fan, I feel a little dirty wearing this avatar on purpose but Gravy was a good guy, I'll wear it with pride.
I apparently have handed out too much reputation - like being the best house on the block at Halloween, with the full size Snickers bars.
As a Chiefs fan, I know how difficult it must be for you to wear the AV. Thank you for taking one for my G man.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think that I will stick around a little bit; I have a fondness for lovable degenerates.

• 1Solidarity

Gravy

Bronze Squire
It was heart problems, I think people assume if you are on hospice it has to be cancer...it doesn't.
To quote our favorite cardiologist from that day - Nov 9 (who I have to call yet, just can't do it, Dr.Greg Botteron - awesome fucking EP if anyone ever needs one) - "I can't do any more, your heart is too still"
I know more about cardiac disease, treatments, medications and procedures than a person should. I know where all the good bathrooms and waiting rooms and hiding places in the hospital are. I shouldn't have to know that, but I do.

• 1Solidarity