Soccer 2012-2013 3.0

Fazana_sl

shitlord
The Times is reporting David Moyes will be announced within 24 hours. The Independent has now said the same thing. The Sun is still going with Everton denying ManUtd have even spoken to them.

If it's true I wonder if Mourinho will be kicking himself for allegedly already signing up for Chelsea. Maybe he believed all the stuff ManUtd were putting out in the last few weeks about RedFace staying on for a few more years.

Edit: Gill has been quoted as saying the new manager will have both Domestic and European experience. That pretty much rules out Moyes unless the brief bus trip abroad they did a few years back counts?

This is exciting tbh on what otherwise would have been a quiet day! I bet we know by the end of today what's what. The Chelsea tears if they manage to pluck Mourinho away for a few seasons before someone like Solsjkaer (sp?) might be ready etc.

Giggs will be playing for a new manager for the first time in his playing career next season, he's 39 years old.

Another source is now claiming ManUtd haven't spoken to Jose, they were told he had already signed a contract with Chelsea.

It's going to be David Beckham as player manager!

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Everything points to David Moyes to be fair

Dunno how I feel about that~

Managerial changes this summer (predicted)

Chelsea - Mourinho
Bayern - Guardiola
Man Utd - Moyes (wtf?)

Doesn't exactly inspire trepidation into rival opponents does it?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Sad day. Never really liked SAF, but he certainly knocked Liverpool off their fucking perch - exactly what he set out to do. Best manager of all time. Now Mourinho at least has an argument on whether or not he's the best manager in the world. Happy retirement, redface.

PKS

N00b
Ossoi, I'm going to enjoy the next coming days/weeks/months with literally every sports pundit, media representative, managers at all top clubs all give their respects to SAF as the greatest of all time, whilst you can sit in your corner and try to get a rise out of United fans by saying Paisley's better. You reckon everyone's an idiot but yourself right?

Moyes seems to be all but confirmed at this rate.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The debate over who is better is pretty retarded, I'm not even going to go there. I think it's just better for the league to not have some bully and demigog roaming the sidelines feeling entitled to have everything go his way. ManU will still have more resources than all but ManC and Chelsea, even then if the FFP rules stick they will have more resources than even them. So their still going to buy the best players, same as it's been for the last 20 years, I don't think much will change with or without him.

If the Moyes rumor is true this will probably be the happiest day of his life, keep Everton mediocre for 10 years and then get the ManU job. I'm pretty sure he qualified for the CL in 2004 so that does count for Euro experience.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Ossoi, I'm going to enjoy the next coming days/weeks/months with literally every sports pundit, media representative, managers at all top clubs all give their respects to SAF as the greatest of all time, whilst you can sit in your corner and try to get a rise out of United fans by saying Paisley's better. You reckon everyone's an idiot but yourself right?
Didn't win anything for the first 3 seasons, his own fans hung up banners saying goodbye midway into the fourth season. Saved by victory in the FA Cup that season, victory in the league coincided with the rebranding of the 1st Division as the Premier League and all the Sky millions that came with it.

All I'm saying is there are 3 inescapable, cold, hard facts that need to be considered when discussing his record:

1. Moyes won't get 3 years with no trophies, no manager at a top club ever will again
2. English football was a much more level playing field in the 70s than it is today. Ask Fazana about Nottingham Forests achievements in the 70s. Football today is about 4-6 big clubs and the rest are also-rans. Much harder to win the league when newly promoted teams could challenge for titles.
3. 3 European Cups in 9 years > 2 in 26. This is so obvious I don't know why it needs mentioning.

Bob Paisley, the only manager EVER, to win more than 2 European cups.

At the end of the day it's a hard comparison because Paisley retired after 9 years (and the team he passed on went on to lift another European cup). Ferguson has been driven for years by a desire to overtake Liverpools league record and match Paisley's record, maybe he could see with the rise of Bayern on the horizon his chances were slim.

And I could care less what the "majority" think, the "majority" of people think football began with the Premiership and that football was somehow "easier" in the 70s, I already dealt with one idiot that tried to make that point.

PKS

N00b
I guess you could say, SAF: The greatest domestically, not so great in Europe!
Honestly I still get small rib jab feelings thinking about on 2000-2002 with the team they had losing consecutively to the Germans. He recently did get much better, 3 CL finals in 4 seasons over 06-10 but only 1 trophy came from it. I agree he was probably dying to get a 3rd and it's a shame he didn't. If but's and maybes at this point.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
We still need to thank Alan Shearer every day for choosing Newcastle over ManUtd otherwise that list would be a whole lot bigger.

RedFace is the best of this generation, absolutely no doubt but you do have to separate the pre and post premiership eras. It's completely apples and oranges trying to compare RF to Shankley, Paisley, Cloughie etc as the game changed so much.

Claiming that football in the 70s was a wasteland is probably the worst post on Rerolled so far though, grats Darkseid!

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Compared to now, it is. Hell, just look at George Best, he was drunk most of the time and still managed to be one of the best players around.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Friend with a mate at SEG says it's Moyes and he's only taking one backroom staff with him - Steve Round (Man U want to keep most of their staff) and that they are probably taking Fellaini and Baines with them. Also Everton have already sounded Martinez.

Also from Graham Hunter, who is usually on the ball :

@BumperGraham: Part three of all this will be whether or not Chelsea manage to complete the deal they want, to sign Rooney.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I have a hard time believing Everton will let both Fellaini and Baines go to the same club at the same time. Guess we'll see.....

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Baines I could see replacing the aging Evra but Fellaini?

What position would he play? Behind RVP? Instead of Rooney?

He's not the type of midfielder that Utd needs at the moment. They are lacking a creative attacking midfielder in the mold of Ozil, Mata, Modric, Ronaldo, Bale etc. Fellaini whilst is a good midfielder, I can't see how he fits into the current system (but of cause, the system can change with a new manager coming in but boy, he is gonna have huge cajones to start changing the SAF system so quickly)

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Are you assuming Jones is going to just play mid now? If not then I'm not sure what you're talking about, their mid is the weakest part of the team and why they are probably further away from winning a CL title than anytime in the last 10 years. But by all means, keep neglecting that part of the team for as long as possible so LFC can catch up
smile.png

smile.png

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I am saying the Utd needs midfielders but not in the mold of Fellaini

Reread what I wrote

Edit: Second thoughts, he could replace the Carrick role but would that be that much of an upgrade over Carrick? A creative midfielder is what is lacking in Utd midfield and Fellaini doesn't really fill that role

Fazana_sl

shitlord
In some ways it has in fact been a sad day. There have been some stories kicking around about Alex Ferguson the man and the nice things he has done in his life which haven't had much publicity like writing letters to or even visiting dying people, helping out with charities, being so giving of his time to help up and coming managers as apparently he was only a phone call from almost anyone in the game to contact him and ask for advice etc.

It's sad because it almost ruins my image of him as the ogre colossus who single handedly tried to ruin football by trying to shape the FA judicial process in his own image, the invention of Fergie time, not speaking to the BBC for busting his son as a crook and being a two faced jock git when it came to transfer shenanigans like tapping players up etc! Don't take that away from me
tongue.png
Now who can I angrily point to and say is all that's wrong with football?! Even that fucker Warnock is unemployed.

Then again Moyes was born in the same city as Ferguson, maybe there's hope yet of a late transformation into the caricature of an angry Glaswegian!

tongue.png

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC Sport ?@BBCSport 2m
BREAKING: David Moyes is set to be appointed as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United - via @DavidBondBBC #bbcfootball #mufc

hmmmmmmmm...........

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
WTF Adebayor. Thought for sure Bale was going to nail that final fk. A draw is an okay result for Arsenal, but would have preferred a Chelshit win. Butthole clench to the maximum for the next two weeks.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Draw at least keeps Spurs in the hunt and stops Chelsea from securing a CL spot

Still going to be tough to get into the top 4 though because I don't expect Arsenal to drop points against Wigan and Newcastle
frown.png

frown.png

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
The game should have been over at that point, Chelsea had enough opportunities to score 5 or more by the 60 minute mark. Oh well, don't like any of the 3 teams in question so could care less who gets left out for the Europa league.

Bring on Dortmund/Bayern please so this season can be over......

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Random statto time...

With RedFace going and Moyes replacing that's 2 of the 3 longest serving managers gone in one stroke!

Hilariously (to me anyway, shows how bloody cut-throat it all is) the new list will be

Wenger - Sep 96 - 17 seasons
Pulis - Jun 06 - 7
Martinez - Jun 09 - 4 (But probably going to Everton)
Mancini - Dec 09 - 4
Pardew - Dec 10 - 3
Allardyce - Jun 11 - 2

So if Martinez does indeed go to Everton as everyone seems to be predicting you'll have Allardyce as 5th longest serving manager in the EPL at 2 years next month
biggrin.png

biggrin.png