Soccer 2014 - 2015

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Now that the major tournaments are over, sans the Gold Cup which I don't consider a major tournament as it's either USA or Mexico every time that wins, I think it's time for a 2015/2016 thread. Due to the Euro's next year most leagues are starting a week early with the EPL starting in barely a month on the 8th of August. Probably a good time to get it going if anybody wants to.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I think the US women are better technically in some ways than the US men. Better first touches and general ball control.

Szlia

The level of football on display is dire in the womens game. I also love the double standard - that English gal who hilariously scored an own goal in the dying seconds of the Japan match was met with tons of sympathy, well wishes, "keep your chin up, you're a lion" type of bullshit. Higuain (also hilariously) skies a pk and misses a relatively tough chance for Argentina and EVERYONE is ripping him apart, not a big game player, past it, etc etc. If he was a woman, we'd be hearing the same bullshit we heard about the English chick - but he's not, so its okay to rip him to shreds. Personally, I'm fine with ripping him to shreds as he's a donkey - but if someone were to come out and rip a woman for fucking up in a World Cup match, you better believe they wouldn't be in the job long at ESPN, Fox, NBC, whatever. /Rant off
The sympathy here did not only come because of the context, it also came because it was a freak accident while doing the right thing. Missing the target with a penalty kick is only a source of compassion when it is in a shoot-out and the guy played a great match.