Soccer 2014 - 2015

Passenger_sl

shitlord
Premier league much more demanding than La Liga. Hazard is worth more than Neymar right now, especially when you factor in staying healthy and defensive quality.

Edit: I would say it looks like

1.Messi
2.Hazard
3.Ronaldo
4.Neymar
5.Aguero
6.Suarez
7.Sterling
Give it a rest with the it is more demanding bs, the only thing that the EPL has on every other league is marketing and money. Staying healthy? Neymar has been fairly healthy at Barca and more or less throughout his career. A few games here or there isn't that big of a deal. Defensive quality? I am guessing you are trying to allude that Neymar only has 40 goals due to the fact that La Liga defenses are shit? If that was the case, why did he score in every single game against PSG this season yet Chelsea failed to beat them when they had 10 men. As good as Hazard is, which he is very very good, nothing he has shown on the club or international level trumps Neymar. The guy was a star in Brazil and for the national team. When so many people claimed he wouldn't make it in Europe, he has absolutely dominated everyone.

Younger, way more marketable, carries national team, 54 goals in 92 games in Europe. He has literally everything going for him to make his value as high as possible.

The fact that you put Sterling as the 7th most valuable player in the world makes it pretty obvious you are a bit out of touch with reality.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Premier league much more demanding than La Liga. Hazard is worth more than Neymar right now, especially when you factor in staying healthy and defensive quality.

Edit: I would say it looks like

1.Messi
2.Hazard
3.Ronaldo
4.Neymar
5.Aguero
6.Suarez
7.Sterling
LOL Sterling.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, well once he said the EPL is more demanding than La Liga then everything after that was just garbage anyway.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe demanding isnt the right word but definitely a more physical game with less scoring opportunities. 3 guys on Barca scored 120 something goals...LOL.

If you want to split hairs on Hazard and Neymar thats fine but im not talking value here im talking worth in terms of transfer fee.

Sterling is barely 20 with a huge ceiling. He will garner a top 10 transfer sum no fucking doubt about it.

edit:

Looks like the sharps agree on Sterlings fee, if anything I was lowballing hinting he isnt closer to top 5 than 10.

Eden Hazard worth more than Cristiano Ronaldo CIES - ESPN FC

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Premier league is more demanding no doubt about it; just go ask any player/manager who has played around the leagues they all say the same thing. La Liga has better teams Barca/Real are better. Athelico I think are on par with the best in the PL. same as the Bundasliga Bayern are better than anything the PL has. The difference is the rest of the league outside of the top few teams.

La Liga Barca/Real have to play at a high temp high intensity for about 6 games a year in La Liga the rest they can play well within their self and still win. Of course there will be the odd freak result but for the most part this is true.

Bundsliga is so fucked due to the FFP rules that Bayern can do what the fuck they want, if they lose out on the league they just buy the best players from whoever won the league and go on and dominate for another 4-5 years. Really is a crappy league from a Title winning perspective just look what they have done to Dortmund over the past few years

The PL you cannot take your foot off the pedal at all, Chelsea, Man C, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, all more than able to beat each other, add in teams like Stoke at home (if you turn up there without being at the races physically then you in for a world of hurt) Everton (not this season but normally very tough team) Southampton this season have been very good.

I am not saying the PL is the best in the world; it is the most competitive though and played at a much higher tempo which makes it much more demanding on its players

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ciro Immobile said in an interview last year that he found playing Bundesliga far more demanding than Serie A, as even the small teams will fight as hard as they can, while the bottom half of the serie A teams just wait until the match is over and don't give a shit how high they lose. I guess it's the same in Spain and that's why they score hundreds of goals.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Suarez, Neymar and Messi's 120+ goals include a whole CL and Copa Del Rey campaign. Suarez and Sturridge scored 50+ combined last year with neither a long cup run or any CL games. On current form I don't see any reason they couldn't replicate that playing in the PL instead of La Liga. I don't watch enough Seria A to care or know how that would compare.

As far as most competitive in the world, it may truly get to that point with all the new TV money coming in as Stoke for example will be a top 25 in Europe team as far as revenue. As of right now though I'd say that has more to do with the mediocrity throughout the league than it being good from top to bottom. As an LFC fan I wish that wasn't the case but instead of going and getting the best talent elsewhere we're looking at retread shit within the league because it's "premier league proven" ManU is looking at Harry Kane, really? What a bunch of hogwash.

As far as Sterling, I watched him play every game this year. He has the tools to become a top 10 player in the world and at 20 is special. With that said he's no where near the finished article as he had the chances to easily score double his tally this year but his shooting and finishing are pretty terrible. If Sanchez is only worth 35m pounds then Sterling for 50m or whatever is laughable as far as actual playing impact goes. But he's English and in theory could become world class. As an LFC fan if ManC want to pay that type of money for him then so be it, there's every chance he doesn't become what he should be as there is that he gets to that top 10 level.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You cant just go by one setof data so I agree in a sense. Im sure South American based think tanks would put Neymars fee higher than Hazard etc., but that table is there to gauge a subjective narrative of a players current worth in the market.

They obviously factor in age and contract, a reason Sterling is rated so favorably. Again, that list isnt a "who is better at football" list, which you could make the argument Sanchez being more valued if it was but Sterling is the only U21 on the entire list.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
La Liga Barca/Real have to play at a high temp high intensity for about 6 games a year in La Liga the rest they can play well within their self and still win. Of course there will be the odd freak result but for the most part this is true.

The PL you cannot take your foot off the pedal at all
Sevilla, Athletic Bilbao, Atletico, Valencia, Villareal, Real Sociedad. All of them would give Barca/Madrid a proper game. Similiar to the their counterparts in the PL.

PL, if say a Stoke is losing 3-0 to Arsenal at half-time....The second half is just a training exercise for Arsenal. To say otherwise is just being ignorant.

PKS

N00b
The uncertainty factor for results has to be higher in the PL and should easily be provable with some stats. That doesn't indicate overall external strength however, just relative internal strength.

Maybe next season, 3 PL teams make it through to the QFinals and do well (avoid Barcelona) and suddenly people say the PL is the best, although nothing much changed in reality. Maybe a Chelsea styled defence can win the trophy again even. Either way it's just a domestic fans anxiety wanting to discuss it like that.

We clearly want to be the best teams, the best 2 teams have often been the Madrid & Barcelona so it stands to reason to simply compare to them. And theres no way that any PL team will get to their level any time soon. You'll have to wait for Messi to retire before any grounds on them can be made I fear.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Pretty good start to the Copa America so far, none of the games have been real bore fests like in 2011 where Paraguay got to the final without even winning a game.

PL teams would be better if they didn't sell their best players to RM or Barca. Suarez, Modric, Bale, Ronaldo still being in the PL would make for a much better league. I get that's a bit unrealistic with how good both Barca and RM are right now but everything is cyclical, it may take until Messi and Ronaldo will retire but a time will come when they aren't what they are now just like has happened before.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Dude, we didn't want to sell Modric and Bale but when those players say they don't want to stay anymore and desire to leave, there isn't much choice but to sell them for as much as possible rather than keep an unhappy player.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I didn't say Spuds were retards for selling them just that it's a pretty easy thing to point out in regards to the PL's quality. If the best players get sold off then the overall level will drop. If Barca were to sell Messi then obviously they wouldn't be anywhere as good and the overall league wouldn't be as good for example.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
With next years Euro's the fixture list is out as the PL starts on August 8th this year which is 7 weeks away, crazy! With the Copa America and WWC it's not even going to really feel like an off-season as pre-season will have already started by the time those are over. I don't get the doom and gloom over LFC's fixtures, yes the first 7 away are tough but the alternating home games are rather easy in comparison.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Does no one care about the women world cup going on? I don't see a thread or any discussion.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I've made a comment here about watching the games with my daughters but the quality of the footie isn't that great. I've enjoyed watching the Copa America more though yesterdays Argentina vs. Uruguay was pretty terrible.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Does no one care about the women world cup going on? I don't see a thread or any discussion.
A few years ago a friend of mine said its like watching donkeys at horse racing.
And seen the last round of match ups he was not wrong.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Meh.. It's not terrible to watch for the better teams such as the US, Germany and France. There is easily much lower quality of footie you can watch such as Costa Rican or Peruvian national leagues that I've watched as my wife's uncle had them on when he was over. With that said the countries that don't take it seriously such as Ecuador and Mexico play some of the worst footie at a major tournament I've ever seen so I understand people scoffing at the whole thing.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Also Neymar getting sent off yesterday after the game was over was hilarious, just comes off as a spoiled brat.