Soccer 2017-2018

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
SwzEzjF.jpg

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ramos is a faggot for armbaring Salah to the ground. If he misses the WC what a fucking travesty that would be.

I think Madrid would of won even with Salah playing the whole game as Bale's wondergoal was a stunning display of skill on the biggest stage, coming on as a sub. Real was ugly at times, but they are very impressive in small windows during crucial stages in the match.

Marcelo's delivery to Gareth was almost just as good.

I think the main reason they probably would have won anyways was just Karius. I'm still just dumbfounded by the 3rd goal. If he put his hands down and just let it hit him in the face, he saves it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Real would have won even though it took Salah going out and our GK throwing it into his own net twice for them to win? The stats from before Salah went out to after show a completely different game. You can criticize Klopp or LFC for not having a better plan B or bringing on Lallana instead of Solanke but even with that said if Karius doesn't do what he did for all we know it's 1-1 heading into extra time.

And that's really the crux of my issue on the day after. RM might have won in a straight up game but they didn't. They had Bale's goal, a shot that hit the post and then what? Nothing.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think the main reason they probably would have won anyways was just Karius. I'm still just dumbfounded by the 3rd goal. If he put his hands down and just let it hit him in the face, he saves it.

Considering he had never thrown a ball at another player like that (Benzema did dangle his leg which is a bit borderline) before or dropped a shot like that before you're saying this completely in hindsight. Was it you or someone else that had a go at Navas for a goal earlier in the CL? Based on that you could say the same thing about him.

Merrith

Considering he had never thrown a ball at another player like that (Benzema did dangle his leg which is a bit borderline) before or dropped a shot like that before you're saying this completely in hindsight. Was it you or someone else that had a go at Navas for a goal earlier in the CL? Based on that you could say the same thing about him.

Sure we're saying it in hindsight, but Salah getting hurt certainly could have affected some possession or a chance or two for LP, but I don't think his injury affects Karius' play. It's just such a weird game b/c of Salah/Carvajal injuries semi early on, and Karius' play. I'm not trying to pile on the guy, the Benz goal you can semi write off as fluky as hell. Just such a non standard game due to all the weird stuff that went down. I really wish it just hadn't gone that way, especially if Salah ends up missing the World Cup too. Just not a lot of great stuff to take out of the game save for Bale's fantastic goal.

Yeah I didn't like a goal Navas had given up to James given the angle it was at and the fact he had time to set himself. Didn't feel like one that he should have let through. Doesn't even come close to Karius' on the 3rd goal, obviously.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ill never forgive Ramos for that. I wanted Liverpool to win honestly, as I am just a fan of Ronaldo, but I love Salah, and that shit was just brutal. Karma is a motherfucker though, and something nasty is going to happen to Ramos next season, Ill put money on it. Whether he suffers a gruesome career ending injury, or ends up raping a chic and goes to jail, something bad is going to happen to that brutish Spaniard.

Again, you can say Salah would have been the difference, as he has so many times, but there are so many factors in such an enormously consequential match. Nerves are sky high, players and managers are on edge, the atmosphere and feel of the game is just different. Every second that ticks off the clock feels like it is forever, yet all of the sudden its halftime. Its a very strange set of variables that ends up producing entertaining/interesting/amazing results.

Goalkeepers flub balls, strikers miss sitters, defenders score headers to win the game, amazing goals are scored, substitutes usually are much more crucial to the outcome of the game, fatigue is much more of a factor, I can go on and on. Just watch the last 5 CL Finals matches. From Madrid winning on penalties against Atletico, in a chippy mostly rugged game that produced a ton of nothing, yet was still an entertaining match. Last year when Madrid beat Juve in Cardiff, won 4-1 in a wide open match against the best defensive team in Europe at the time with Buffon having one of his best years, stopping everything up until that point. The year before Barca won, Madrid had to beat an Atleti side that was winning the match, but then got inexplicably blitzed in extra time to lose 4-1 as a shirtless Ronaldo basked in the glory of La Decima.

Its what makes the CL great in the first place. But what Ramos did was just disgusting. He didnt need to put a hit out on Salah for Madrid to win, it would have been an entertaining match either way, he is a fucking scumbag and Zidane deserves a bit of blame for allowing him to roam around like an enforcer out there.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
the Benz goal you can semi write off as fluky as hell. .

Nope, should never have happened. The first mistake is worse than the second, keepers fumble shots all the time but to be so unaware/casual especially in a final is unforgivable.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'm somewhat surprised by the Fabinho signing in that it always seemed Klopp at LFC wanted all around midfielders and not specialty ones so the midfield 3 could in theory rotate just like the front 3 do. His Dortmund teams were far more structured in the midfield so maybe he's going back to that. Granted pairing him with Keita means you can in theory start with 4 flat out attackers with the amount of space they'll cover. He's an absolute unit and it should make tactics like ManU used a lot harder to pull off.

Merrith

Nope, should never have happened. The first mistake is worse than the second, keepers fumble shots all the time but to be so unaware/casual especially in a final is unforgivable.

There's fumbling shots...and then there's the 3rd goal. I think it's in a league all its own. Also by fluky I was more talking about how it managed to perfectly deflect into the net as well, not just that Benz managed to get his foot on it/keeper being unaware. The 3rd goal he literally has to almost be trying to knock it back into his own net there. Just drop your hands and let it hit you in the face and you're doing better overall on that shot.

Jozu

Karius' performance almost makes the Salah injury worse. Because if he doesn't meltdown, Liverpool are in the match regardless if Mo went down or not, and the debate about whether or not Salah would have changed the game becomes more valid.

But instead people are focusing on Karius' failures and basically mitigating every other aspect of the match.

We're Madrid lucky? Yes. Was Ramos basically a criminal on the pitch? Absolutely. But none of it matters because Ramos ruined the match and then Karius checked out.

It was nil nil when Mo got injured. Let's say that never happens, does Karius still have as nightmare game in goal?

I say yes. CL games are fucking intense, maybe Salah hits 2 , but Bale's goal was sublime and if Karius let's those 2 gimmies go in they still lose or go to extra time where Madrid are very accomplished, and any observer would put their money on Madrid in extra time or penalties.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really looking forward to Arsenal locking down Wilshere and Ramsey and signing a promising young french AM, 2 30+ year old defenders, and no GK. Summer is gonna be just great......

Bring on the WC

faille

Molten Core Raider
The worst part of Karius's performance is it just increased the cost of all the top GK by at least 20%

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I think the most interesting thing of the transfer window will be what will happen after August 9th when the window closes for EPL teams. I bet you you're going to see one if not two transfers of really good players for at least half what their value should have been if not even less. I also think the way this window is setup is going to really stress teams that have been poorly run for a while now. West Ham, Everton, Southampton, etc. I could all see royally fucking this up and right back into the relegation mix.

As far as LFC having to overpay for GK's now, I would guess we'll target one with a release clause and why the Cillisen rumors came about today. Can't keep jacking up the price if the price is set.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Zidane a fucking boss, he just quit Real Madrid.

Walks in from youth squad, wins 3 straight Champions League titles, walks out the back door.

Amazing. Haha fuck Perez. This also confirms Ronaldo is gone.

Merrith

Zidane a fucking boss, he just quit Real Madrid.

Walks in from youth squad, wins 3 straight Champions League titles, walks out the back door.

Amazing. Haha fuck Perez. This also confirms Ronaldo is gone.

Yeah I take that as sure sign him and Ronaldo talked and they're both leaving. 3 straight CL is just insanity. Whatever else is said about him, he found ways to win on the biggest stage.

Jozu

Yeah I take that as sure sign him and Ronaldo talked and they're both leaving. 3 straight CL is just insanity. Whatever else is said about him, he found ways to win on the biggest stage.

4 in 5 years too.

Whats bizzare is Madrid is almost now a victim of their own success. Winning 4 CL titles in 5 years is unthinkable, and I bet Ronaldo, and to an extent Zidane feel like they have climbed to the top of the mountain, and have accomplished everything they possibly could have. When you are winning that much, it almost starts to be taken for granted, and now Ronaldo wants a new challenge in a new atmosphere, same for Zidane.

For Madrid fans, it will be a tough adjustment, as they will be expecting to win everything every year, but Ronaldo will be gone, they will need a new manager and will have to bring in a huge name like Lewandowski in order to stay competitive.

I think Ronaldo could go to Serie A, maybe play with Juve with Dybala, or maybe a return to the Prem, but I dont see him going to the French League, Portugal or America. Certainly he wont be going to Germany either, so his possible landing spots are very few.

Manchester United, Juventus or MAYBE PSG if they pay him 50 million a year.

The team that Oscar plays for in China offered him a salary of 100 million a year to play there, maybe he does it? I doubt it, but after this next contract he will most likely finish his career in Los Angeles. He will be about 37 by that time and if he can stay fit I could see him being a star in the MLS.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
For one we really don't know why he decided to do this yet. I have my guesses and they're more along the lines of not wanting to be there for the rebuild that is needed either this year or next. RM fans aren't suddenly expecting trophies every year, they've been that way forever and why they're on the whole a bunch of insufferable douches. To then deal with the shit that will happen if one or two transfers don't work out and they don't win anything is probably not worth it to Zidane. Keep in mind if they would have went out before the CL final, which they almost did twice, then Zidane probably would have been gone anyway as they would not have won anything this year.

As far as Ronaldo, there's no way he's leaving Madrid voluntarily and I doubt he's actually going to do it. Messi is now paid more than him with his new contract last year. If you look at his history anytime that has happened in the past it's become an issue. The problem for him is every year he gets a bit older and if I was Perez there's no fucking way I'd give him a new deal commensurate with Messi. You're basically playing 10v11 when you don't have the ball now and have to setup your team to account for that which will get worse every year from here on out.

Probably the biggest news of the day which isn't getting as much coverage is it seems Abramovich is going to throw in the towel on Chelsea, at least in the short term, due to his Visa issues and supposedly they're going to ask him to show how he paid for everything. They announced they've given up on the new stadium as he would have needed to spend £1bn of his own money to do so which he would have had to show how he got it. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for those plastics.