Soccer 2017-2018

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For Madrid fans, it will be a tough adjustment, as they will be expecting to win everything every year, but Ronaldo will be gone, they will need a new manager and will have to bring in a huge name like Lewandowski in order to stay competitive.

Surely you're not talking about Robert Lewandowski, the scorer who can only run up the score against weaker opponents and is always useless in the big, important games?

3 goals against FC Augsburg? No problem. Even one solid attempt against Real? yeah... that's asking too much.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Concussion could have happened anytime after or before the match, Ramos barely even touched him for what they are claiming the concussion is from. There is no way you can claim with certainty that it was from that specific incident, its not like Karius career is in ruins and he wouldn't lie about his history to save some face.
What lead to the concussion was already posted ITT.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Should we do a separate thread for the World Cup or just keep it in this thread?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My only point where I disagree with you is that in all my years of watching this sport I don't agree that a defender hitting a GK has regularly happened. Again can you actually think of one? Usually you will have a defender try to impede the GK by standing near them but I honestly can't recall one instance where a player hits the GK when they weren't making a play for the ball first. To me that clearly indicates that Ramos went out of his way to do it once he was shoved.

I'm trying to think of actual cases and coming up blank, although in no other instance was any of the goalies examined for a concussion b/c they gave up 2 of the worst goals on the biggest stage, so not something I'd just remember.

Normally as you note, it'll just be contact that is meant to hinder the keeper from making a play on the cross, although sometimes I remember there being significant contact...but like pretty much any free kick/corner near the box, defenders get away with virtually anything including bodying/shoving guys into other players/keepers to no calls, while even slightly hindering the keeper from making a play on a cross (or even running into another defender after being shoved into them) will result in a free kick the other way. It's one of the worst refereed plays in the game today, and happens extremely often (although contact on the keeper versus any defender less so).

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Brazil looked good over the weekend - France & Germany are going to have their hands full, Belgium always under perform, Argentina is a mixed bag... No Netherlands, Italy, Chile & USA is going to be weird.

Hoping USMNT does the right thing and NEVER plays Dempsey, Bradley, Altidore et al again. The kids have done okay, it's time to start from scratch and try something new.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Is there a way to setup picks here and then have a contest?

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Supposedly he'll be playing. Won't know for sure until the game though.

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Here's my pics:

A
Uruguay
Egypt

B
Spain
Portugal

C
France
Peru

D
Argentina
Nigeria

E
Brazil
Serbia

F
Germany
Mexico

G
England
Belgium

H
Columbia
Senegal

R16 - Winners in bold
Uruguay v Portugal
Spain
v Egypt
France v Nigeria
Peru v Argentina
Brazil
v Mexico
Serbia v Germany
England
v Senegal
Belgium v Columbia

Quarterfinals:
Portugal v France
Spain
v Argentina
Brazil v England
Germany v Columbia

Semifinals:
France v Brazil
Spain
v Germany

Final:
Brazil v Spain

Szlia

South Korea got pretty unlucky in the draw and Japan was not a lot luckier... that being said, I would be surprised if Serbia or Costa Rica go out of the group instead of Switzerland.

Merrith

Brando I'm just not sure if I can buy England going as far as they should. Feels like something stupid should happen to prevent that. Like every major tournament ever for the last 52 years.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Brando I'm just not sure if I can buy England going as far as they should. Feels like something stupid should happen to prevent that. Like every major tournament ever for the last 52 years.

I think they have a plan in place and when your starting Kane, Sterling and Alli you're going to have a chance in any game. Maybe something will fuck it up but I think they should be able to make the quarterfinals considering who they have to play to get there.

Speaking of things getting fucked up, wish I could take my Spain pick back. Holy shit what a mess...

Also let's all celebrate that 8 years from now we'll have the World Cup here in the US!!!!

Szlia

It should be mentioned that for decades and until not so long ago, Spain was a shitty team of great players. The Barca players could not be arsed to pass the ball to Real players who themselves would rather die on the spot than deliver a cross to an Atletico player... fun times. And even in this current uncharacteristic period of success, the thin veneer of harmony is ready to crack at the slightest vexation. When Switzerland beat Spain in the group stage of the 2010 Word Cup, the non catalan press exploded against the sterile Barca inspired tiki taka bullshit.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
We fucking won the hosting of the WC. Fuck yeah.

This is the best time of year, I just had a half hour conversation with a complete stranger discussing how hard Germany is going to blitzkrieg everyone.

My hearts wants Argentina to win and Goetze to be annaly raped in the middle of the field.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Merrith

Speaking of things getting fucked up, wish I could take my Spain pick back. Holy shit what a mess...

Also let's all celebrate that 8 years from now we'll have the World Cup here in the US!!!!

Seriously wtf is going on with Spain? Buddy texted me the news this morning and was just crazy.

Thank goodness they made the right pick and it's coming here.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
We fucking won the hosting of the WC. Fuck yeah.

This is the best time of year, I just had a half hour conversation with a complete stranger discussing how hard Germany is going to blitzkrieg everyone.

My hearts wants Argentina to win and Goetze to be annaly raped in the middle of the field.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Goetze didn't make the team, which isn't too surprising as he's been very poor this season and injured off and on.

Extremely pumped about the WC 2026 results this morning. I was a wee lad of 12 playing ODP soccer in Dallas when it was here in 94' - never forget Bergkamp against Brazil, magic.

I'll have an 8 year old son when the next one rolls around, and am thinking of taking him around the country to watch the games. Assuming he likes soccer, and assuming he doesn't hate me at that point.

Pool is in perfect shape, 55" tv mounted on the patio, 3 bags of pellets ready for the smoker, and many pounds of short ribs ready for the weekend - love the World Cup, and my interest in it is only marginally affected by the USMNT's capitulation.

Final will be Germany and Brazil, and I believe Marcelo and Co. get revenge for 2014.

Merrith

My favorite memory of the '94 WC had to be Bulgaria upsetting Germany. I actually was rooting for Germany at the time (US was out, I had lived in Germany for a year and a half and had just gotten back to US the year before)...but the two goals Bulgaria scored to comeback and win were absolutely world class.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My fave noment of that one was Dibaggio missing the kick!!. Things to remember 20 years after.

Szlia

There is a bit of revisionist history going on in that video about Bulgaria beating Germany. Bulgaria was a no joke team at the time. They had an offensive line with Emil Kostadinov (very successful at Porto) and Hristo Stoichkov (runner up for FIFA player of the year in 1992 and a pillar of the Cruyff helmed Barcelona that dominated la Liga then).
They qualified by eliminating France in a barrage (with a last minute goal when France just had to run the clock after a free kick) and after losing to Nigeria (that was also a no joke team during those years), they beat Greece, Argentina and Mexico before facing Germany. Obviously the german team was the favorite, but Bulgaria winning was absolutely a possibility.