Soccer 2017-2018

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wonder if England is going to lose to Belgium a 2nd time this WC.

Guessing yes.
So much tears in Belgium, funny. Seriously you've got the only team full of mongoloids going like "I'd rather have lost vs Brazil", "The world champion won't be any better than us",... Well it's true that by Belgium "rules" Brazil should have gotten through. Here's my advice to Belgium's team : next time just register for the synchronized swimming rather than football, seems to be more fitting of that team of crybabies.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyway I'm not sure what point I was trying to make, Brazil, France, Croatia, ... have most of their players playing outside. Fuck France only has M'Bappe playing home. Could that actually be the opposite problem ? England are pretty much the only one to have team that is entirely made of people playing in the premier league. Even Spain has 2/11 playing outside.

That's because the Croatian league is a small-time league - the Country only has a 4m population - so the best players get snapped up by clubs in bigger leagues with bigger revenues and bigger wages.

The best Brazilian players also get snapped up by European teams because the wages are higher. A lot of the time this might be "development" players like Firmino who ended up at a low ranking German team and was signed from the Brazil second tier and is now at Liverpool. Or it might be the next superstar like Neymar going for a mega fee to Barcelona.

I understand Real Madrid have just signed the "next Neymar".

The French league is also a weak league in comparison to England and Spain.

Because of the mega TV money paid for English League rights then the English clubs can afford to sign almost anyone from any league. The only exception is the true top tier world class talent - which gets signed by Barcelona/Madrid from English teams, eg Suarez, Coutinho, Ronaldo, Alonso, Bale

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That's because the Croatian league is a small-time league - the Country only has a 4m population - so the best players get snapped up by clubs in bigger leagues with bigger revenues and bigger wages.

The best Brazilian players also get snapped up by European teams because the wages are higher. A lot of the time this might be "development" players like Firmino who ended up at a low ranking German team and was signed from the Brazil second tier and is now at Liverpool. Or it might be the next superstar like Neymar going for a mega fee to Barcelona.

I understand Real Madrid have just signed the "next Neymar".

The French league is also a weak league in comparison to England and Spain.

Because of the mega TV money paid for English League rights then the English clubs can afford to sign almost anyone from any league. The only exception is the true top tier world class talent - which gets signed by Barcelona/Madrid from English teams, eg Suarez, Coutinho, Ronaldo, Alonso, Bale
That's definitely true, but you'd think it'd be an advantage to have the whole team playing in your country; and I believe it definitely was for Spain back then, but for english players it feels that it isn't.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
So they were talking on the news this morning about having a open top bus for the England squad so the fans can come cheer them. Why? We didn't win the cup, you might as well have come last if you don't lift the trophy. I hate this culture of everyone's a winner, cause they are not. Winners deserve special treatment, losing is a learning curve and shouldn't be turned into winning at all, ever, otherwise people won't strive to be the best they can be.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's definitely true, but you'd think it'd be an advantage to have the whole team playing in your country; and I believe it definitely was for Spain back then, but for english players it feels that it isn't.
Pretty much the entire German team is playing in Germany, and what good did that do?

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, national football is a entirely different beast.

I believe managers are MUCH more important to national sides than club. The tactics, the squad, managing all of the different ego's and personalities (there really is no innate chemistry on a national side, except cultural similarities), a manager has a lot more shit to deal with when it comes to international football and FIFA. A manager is usually the difference between ultimate success and failure.

Look at Portugal for example. They were coached by one of the greatest managers ever, in Scolari, during the 2006 World Cup. He guided that team to the semi's, but ultimately fell short against Thierry Henry and Les Bleus. He was let go after they crashed out of Euro 2008, watching Spain begin their ascendancy. Then came in Carlos Quieroz, a relatively young, free willed manager who was ultimately too conservative, although he did guide them to a 19 match unbeaten streak, it was broken by Spain in the round of 16.

Paulo Bento didnt accomplish much, losing out to the United States in 2014 WC group stage. Finally, they get their man in Fernando Santos, who rebuilt the team and gave Ronaldo more freedom, put Querasma back in the side, and gave a young Renato Sanches a spot. They ended up coming together and loved Santos, resulting in 2016 European championship glory.

Then you look at England and the slew of managers they have had since 2002, and you start to realize why the team hasnt been successful. Germany had stability under Klinsmann and Loew and it bore fruit. Spain same with Del Bosque. You really need a good-great manager who demands respect from the players but also is well liked and obviously tactically sound.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
No they don't, unless your name is Ryan Giggs

The European Championships is a mini WC for European teams - so these teams have a major tournament to both qualify for, prepare for and compete in EVERY 2 YEARS.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS FALSE AND YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL WHICH IS WHY YOU THINK RANDOM ARTICLES ARE GOSPEL. JUST GO AWAY!

You meant the Euro as "regional tournaments", lmao ok. There is also the Copa America. Anyway:

Club championship: play all season with same squad then have a tournament

WC: at the end of the season, change your squad for a squad with which you played intermittently a few times each year, have a couple a friendly matches to prepare before the tournament.

Wonder in which situation you'll have the best chemistry and highest quality of offense mhmm?

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-qualit...-the-FIFA-World-Cup-and-UEFA-Euro-tournaments.
The answers alI support this. So don't be so obtuse.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
You meant the Euro as "regional tournaments", lmao ok

What did you think I meant?

Club championship: play all season with same squad then have a tournament

That doesn't happen - all league and cup matches are played in the same season and fixtures overlap

Nobody is talking about the CL vs the World Cup you absolute fuckcretin. The CL has the Worlds' richest clubs and the best clubs from the main/biggest leagues - of course the quality of football is higher.

Your original comment was "the tournament occurs at the end of the season and players don't have the time to rest or train with their new teammates."

That is false. You are dumb. By your own admission you don't watch football. I attended a CL game in April and multiple PL fixtures home and away. I was at the Europa League final in 2016.

Welcome to block because your idiocy is annoying

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
We are just happy we made the semi final. We can accept defeat and not be salty as fuck about it.

Of course you should be happy, you lost to Belgium and Croatia, the only 2 decent teams you faced, and you still made it into the semi's.

Belgium beat England and Brazil, for the same result.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I only start paying attention to the World Cup for the final couple rounds, but I don't remember this thread being this salty four years ago.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Pretty sure some things will change about the system;

- it should never be beneficial to grab a yellow card, under the current system it can be played with in order to manipulate availability of players
- it should never be beneficial to lose a match on purpose, under the current system this can be exploited to face weaker opposition in future rounds
- using the VAR some of the time but not using it other times when its clear a foul or wrong ref call has been made is about the worst possible implementation of the system possible

Adressing these things will make it more fair for every team.

Pretty much the entire German team is playing in Germany, and what good did that do?

I still don't know what went wrong with the German team.

Seems to me France is playing the type of game Germany has always played, an extremely solid defense coupled with the ability to make fast counters. During this tournament it has proven to be superior to the tiki-taka game Brazil and co are famous for.

Last edited:

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
You honestly might be one of the worst posters in this thread I've ever seen and that is saying something.

Pretty sure some things will change about the system;

- it should never be beneficial to grab a yellow card, under the current system it can be played with in order to manipulate availability of players

And you know for sure Belgium would have won if Munier was suspended for the Brazil game instead of the France game? They've already adjusted the rules same as the CL in that you can no longer miss a final due to yellow cards. Nobody else is complaining.

- it should never be beneficial to lose a match on purpose, under the current system this can be exploited to face weaker opposition in future rounds

It was beneficial because Germany fucked up, if they hadn't then again nobody would care.

- using the VAR some of the time but not using it other times when its clear a foul or wrong ref call has been made is about the worst possible implementation of the system possible

Go take some time on the IFAB website in regards to VAR, read the rules and come back. VAR didn't make anything worse, the question would be did it make anything better in conjuction with the time delays. Personally I think it did but that's certainly debatable.

Adressing these things will make it more fair for every team.

You're team lucked through against Brazil and then had 61% of the ball vs. France and could do fuck all with it for 90 minutes. I'd say it was fair.

I still don't know what went wrong with the German team.

Seems to me France is playing the type of game Germany has always played, an extremely solid defense coupled with the ability to make fast counters. During this tournament it has proven to be superior to the tiki-taka game Brazil and co are famous for.

Brazil is famous for tiki-taka?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Of course you should be happy, you lost to Belgium and Croatia, the only 2 decent teams you faced, and you still made it into the semi's.

Belgium beat England and Brazil, for the same result.

The draw is the draw. Can't handle it much?

Your team was ok, they failboated the last game. You need to get over it.
p.s nobody gives a flying fuck about the Saturday game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm pretty interested in the saturday game, since I'm sure both teams will field their A-team so it should be a good match.

Team should have performed beter last game, I have no problem stating that, not sure why you are mad.

As I stated before, Dembele played an absolutely terrible game, and it took far to long to replace him by the more offensive oriented Mertens. They kept the guy on for his defensive qualities, he totally wasn't in the game and at some point lost the ball stupidly going on to make a pointless foul giving France a free kick from a great position.

Belgium losing doesn't have anything to do with the flaws in the system I listed.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
And you know for sure Belgium would have won if Munier was suspended for the Brazil game instead of the France game? They've already adjusted the rules same as the CL in that you can no longer miss a final due to yellow cards. Nobody else is complaining.

I'm not blaming the system for Belgiums performance.

I'm saying the system could be beter for everyone.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I'm pretty interested in the saturday game, since I'm sure both teams will field their A-team so it should be a good match.

Team should have performed beter last game, I have no problem stating that, not sure why you are mad.

As I stated before, Dembele played an absolutely terrible game, and it took far to long to replace him by the more offensive oriented Mertens. They kept the guy on for his defensive qualities, he totally wasn't in the game and at some point lost the ball stupidly going on to make a pointless foul giving France a free kick from a great position.

Belgium losing doesn't have anything to do with the flaws in the system I listed.

it would actually be more interesting if both teams fielded players withe the least playtime. I think they'd have something to prove.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That doesn't lead to a good product. See the NBA Summer League. No one wants to watch second-rate players.

Szlia

I don't remember how things went in the previous editions, but I suspect the only people interested in the 3rd place matches are the subs. It's a good oportunity to field the few players that did not get to play.