SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
In the article you link, 2 million units sold, and people were paying 15$ a month at the time. That was 2012. 2013 and 2014 both made over $100 million. The game did not meet expectations for players OR investors, but it is profitable.
And how much did EA acquire Bioware for again?

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hopefully this means daybreak is about to sold to someone will to try and save it.

Because right now the place is in a death spiral.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
If you look at it in a different context - it's easily explained.

Let's say a guy from the ghetto who had nothing before but has a huge talent for football, gets a shot at the NFL and becomes a star. They had no upbringing or teaching on how to handle money, they are surrounded by idiots that are going to bleed them fry for cash and a free ride, and the success that person had was never fully anticipated, that person was never groomed for it, and subsequently, like most idiots in the NFL, squander all their money, never thinking of the future, live for the here and now, and are just flat flat out stupid. Within 5 years, they are bankrupt. Then they realize how stupid they were, and realize they wish they could go back 15 years ago and change it.

SOE was the culmination of not anticipating success, had wild success, lots of cash flowing in, and a bunch of morons in charge that didn't know how to handle that success. Their posse was the good ol' boy club, their mentality boiled down to being the leaders of the Posse, and after they couldn't think of anything other than how to make the same amount of money as they did before, without the drive and hunger for what made them the success in the first place. They chased the dollar days from yesteryear instead of focusing on the products. Which in turn led to that mentality from the top down and it completely fucked up the entire organization and anyone that was brought up in that environment. It even continued with Sigil because they were "Trained" that way.

Poof. There goes SOE. A group of bankrupt football players without a leg to stand on wondering how it all got so bad, and they can only blame their dumbass self.
Good post, an apt analogy.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Actually, at least as far as EQ1 is concerned, i actually feel better about the current EQ1 team's effort than i did when they were still SOE under ponytail and would say that they have made a more concerted effort to fix things (not arguing whether or not they are effective fixes) at a much more accelerated pace than i have seen in a long time, at least on the TLP. They are working on the campaign for the live servers and are starting to make changes that should have happened years ago: SPA stacking issues, which leads me to believe they are actually going to take a real stab at class balance. It's probably too little too late, but i don't feel as doom and gloomy about DBG as i did SOE, of course if we get another shit expansion then that will change.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
^ agreed. the current team's heart is definitely in it, at the very least. i've been blown away by some of the things that happened after the TLP launch. stuff like JChan staying up all night to write that queue system restored some faith in EQ.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Be a great time for Scott Hartsman to take over.... or anyone who has ties to the EQ franchise.

I really want to see EQ's franchise to end up in the hands of someone who is passionate about the game itself. That is one thing I can say about people like Iwata and a number of other guys who have stood the test of time. Their passion kept them going through fame and failure.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Be a great time for Scott Hartsman to take over.... or anyone who has ties to the EQ franchise.

I really want to see EQ's franchise to end up in the hands of someone who is passionate about the game itself. That is one thing I can say about people like Iwata and a number of other guys who have stood the test of time. Their passion kept them going through fame and failure.
Chief Operating Officer Russell Shanks is taking over, hopefully he isn't a more vanilla version of Smedley......

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Someone said it's a temp replacement which makes sense. Doubt he stays in that spot.
Haven't seen a single reference in any of the articles i have read to his placement being temporary, of course that doesn't mean it isn't. Just going by what i read in multiple outlets.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
No, you're right it hasn't actually been reference. Someone told me it's the case though which makes sense. Guess we'll see, I'd never even heard of the guy honestly.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Brad McQuaid, Steve Clover, and Bill Trost are going to divide up the duties and bring everything back to it's original glory.

Siddar

Actually, at least as far as EQ1 is concerned, i actually feel better about the current EQ1 team's effort than i did when they were still SOE under ponytail and would say that they have made a more concerted effort to fix things (not arguing whether or not they are effective fixes) at a much more accelerated pace than i have seen in a long time, at least on the TLP. They are working on the campaign for the live servers and are starting to make changes that should have happened years ago: SPA stacking issues, which leads me to believe they are actually going to take a real stab at class balance. It's probably too little too late, but i don't feel as doom and gloomy about DBG as i did SOE, of course if we get another shit expansion then that will change.
That nice for TLP but they haven't done shit for live servers sense TLP was released.

Main reason I shutdown three accounts last month was because of complete lack of interest they have shown in actually doing anything for the majority of there EQ subscribers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Daybreak was a really bad choice for a name.

I just heard this in Planetside: "Daybreak Games, where we break your games daily."

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
You really have know clue about how badly the last two years of live content have been handled.
i don't, that's why it was a question, heh. i have heard horrible things about the last two expansions, though, for sure.

Siddar

i don't, that's why it was a question, heh. i have heard horrible things about the last two expansions, though, for sure.
The last two expansion are the product of raping EQ and EQ2 as well for resources to fund EQNext.

Sad part it now seems they've semi canceled EQNext.