SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not dead yet, but who knows now. Team is shrinking and we won't see anything close to what was originally promised. Hope people don't fall for the preorder stuff like in landmark. I suspect this game is going to be broken on a technical level.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They need to backpedal to being subscription model, so that they can pre-sell $500 lifetime subs.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Based upon the lack of new information and key people involved in the project being fired.
So just conjecture then.

Who got canned that was 'key'? Georgeson, ideas man extraordinary? Jeff 'denial of service' Butler? Smed the FBI agent?

Sounds more like trimming the salary fat to me.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They dropped a few programmers too. The only thing that keeps me semi interested is the guy leading the project has a pretty good rep and is probably their only hope.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
That nice for TLP but they haven't done shit for live servers sense TLP was released.

Main reason I shutdown three accounts last month was because of complete lack of interest they have shown in actually doing anything for the majority of there EQ subscribers.
I am right there with you - i quit raiding and playing on live about 6 weeks ago but i am trying to be cautiously optimistic. I know it's the same people working on the campaign but am hoping that the attitude shift we have seen from new mgt. might mean better times are coming. Almost anything is going to be better than the shit sandwich that TDS is. If the first campaign ends up being TDS sized, which i think it will be {should be three new zones and two or three revamped zones looking at the zone data and the information Holly has provided during some of the live streams} then it won't be too bad, but if those zones are going to be split between two campaigns, then the game on live is proper fucked.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
So just conjecture then.

Who got canned that was 'key'? Georgeson, ideas man extraordinary? Jeff 'denial of service' Butler? Smed the FBI agent?

Sounds more like trimming the salary fat to me.
That post was conjecture but they've lost talented, actual contributors, too. None of those were ever as well documented as the faces of the project though.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
That post was conjecture but they've lost talented, actual contributors, too. None of those were ever as well documented as the faces of the project though.
The talented losses are what scares me. Nobody knows the situation there better than the hired talent. When they flee the scene, or are removed that says more than Columbus trimming fat like Smegma.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We need some clarification on what is happening down at daily breaking games.

Where is Eldiroth.

WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
people are acting like smed died.

rrr_img_104628.jpg

dobby_sl

shitlord
If anyone in-charge of EQ1 had a brain, they would spend time and resources allowing the players to run their own custom ruleset servers.

It would be easy to create web-based editors so the community could create whatever server they want without any coding knowledge.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
if they have thought of that plan and have any reservations about it, the number one reason they don't do it is because it would be a nightmare for the customer service guys.

if they have thought of that plan and have any reservations about it, the number one reason they don't do it is because it would be a nightmare for the customer service guys.
SOE chat support people were fucking terrible. if you at least called enough and harassed the three people that still worked there. they would eventually feel sympathy for you/grow tired of the calls. after a period of 6-8 months of bi-monthly calling, you could finally get through to them

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
well then they're probably afraid that if there was an infite number of player run servers, then their support people would actually commit suicide.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If we do not see substantial info with beta announcement (including real gameplay videos) of EQ:N by then end of 2015, i dont think we will get a playable game at all. The minecraft/voxel-hype is over, nobody really cares for that stuff any more.
Thy should have stayed with the forgelight engine as used in PS2 and build a real EQ3, no voxel-shit at all. If they had concentrated on "intelligent enemies" it would have been more than enough. And most importantly, they would have released by now...

dobby_sl

shitlord
Thy should have stayed with the forgelight engine
EQN is still forgelight engine.

Plus, with custom servers you can just toss in RMT in the bazaar window and take a % of the sales if the person running a particular server chooses to enable RMT services. Which most will do, because that's the only way to make money from a server you run.

Customer Service is only a problem if you want it to be. It's purely dependent on how far you want to hold their hands.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I still think voxels are the future. There is a lot of potential in games where you can build and destroy structures. imagine gating content by preventing players from getting to a new land mass until they build a bridge.

Or looting a raid dragons head and hanging it in your virtual home, that was completely built by yourself, block by block Landmark style.

Even if EQ3 never materializes, I hope another company focuses on voxel-building within a real AAA MMO that also encompasses classic PvE and PvP.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
If we do not see substantial info with beta announcement (including real gameplay videos) of EQ:N by then end of 2015, i dont think we will get a playable game at all. The minecraft/voxel-hype is over, nobody really cares for that stuff any more.
Thy should have stayed with the forgelight engine as used in PS2 and build a real EQ3, no voxel-shit at all. If they had concentrated on "intelligent enemies" it would have been more than enough. And most importantly, they would have released by now...
Apparently the only game that is getting support and new content is DCUO. How long will that last?

We know these guys say they want to turn a profit. That's what businesses exist for. But it's going to take a little more than keeping the servers up and the cash shop open.

I fear that Everquest will never rise from the ashes again.