SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Flc_sl

shitlord
With Moorgard out, I'm betting Butler stays. Terrible decision and cronyism at its finest.
I say that because Butler and Moorgard had a role redundancy, similar to Terry Michaels/Dave Georgeson. It was the right call keeping Terry over Dave. It's the wrong call to keep Jeff over Steve.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
B-b-b-but Butler produced 3 of EverQuest's most successful expansions! He's obviously the true visionary of the company!

Jovec

?
I don't actually think we'll be seeing major directional changes in terms of the genre of game being produced or the monetization strategies.
SoE wasn't bought because the new owners want to compete for monthly sub money on games with 3-5 year dev cycles and $25, $50, or $100+ million development budgets. It was to either buy cheap, trim fat, increase value, and quickly sell it again for profit, or push them into a new market (mobile, in-app purchases).

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
I, for one, am not gloating. From experience, being let go out of the blue is fucking devastating. And you can forget about your self-esteem, you have to build that shit up from the ground up again.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Steve Klug, head programmer on Landmark/EQN (and former rocket scientist) is IN.

Steven Klug @StevenKlug
To those asking. I'm still here. We lost some great people today. Many friends. Please give them your care and support if you are able!

That's a very good sign for EQN.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I say that because Butler and Moorgard had a role redundancy, similar to Terry Michaels/Dave Georgeson. It was the right call keeping Terry over Dave. It's the wrong call to keep Jeff over Steve.
They both suck ass. At this point the right call would be to shit-can the entire project due to all of them being involved.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't get the whole "trash everything and go mobile" line of thinking. If they wanted a mobile studio it would make sense to purchase a studio with actual experience in mobile gaming right?

They must have seen some value in SOE somewhere (not the employees i guess). My guess is they stick to the MMO business.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not sure how I logically see how you got from your evidence (who is being cut) to your conclusion (they're going mobile F2P, Zynga 2.0 confirmed.)

It looks like the folks who have been cut are:

1. Management layers in the community team, resulting in only a couple of community managers remaining. Not a big deal since the developers do most of the "community management" anyway (see Adam Clegg and Jimmy Whizenhunt as opposed to Greg Henniger on H1Z1.) And these are always the first cuts for layoffs in the MMO genre. See: Star Wars, Elder Scrolls, WildStar, Warhammer. All let their community teams - particularly the senior level folks on those teams - go first.

2. Senior management with role redundancies and no appreciable applicable skills for the actual development of the game, whose management responsibilities were being done by others.

3. Redundant designers/producers, whose work could be incorporated by other more skilled/successful designers or producers. If you have a Terry Michaels, you don't need a Felgon.

It looks like they've done what any smart management team would do if they were unprofitable: cut major costs by cutting redundancies and management layers while keeping the core workers and teams in place, since they're the ones making the actual product.

I don't actually think we'll be seeing major directional changes in terms of the genre of game being produced or the monetization strategies.
And to be brutally honest with the gradual downsizing SOE had with sony over the year they were super top heavy and as painful as it is and as much as I respect and like the people who got let go it likely was the right call it was a case of to many chiefs not enough indians. Sounds like they got some healthy severance packages so they should have some breathing room to find a new path.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I don't get the whole "trash everything and go mobile" line of thinking. If they wanted a mobile studio it would make sense to purchase a studio with actual experience in mobile gaming right?

They must have seen some value in SOE somewhere (not the employees i guess). My guess is they stick to the MMO business.
Not if they want to take the EQ franchise into the mobile market and not give two shits about most of the hacks in management working at this place. (Or anyone good or bad for that matter)

My guess is they will keep the skeleton crews on board, finish both H1Z1 and Console PS2, shit can everyone after launch, and start development of EQ/PS mobile game spinoffs with microtransactions to death and back. Strictly an IP acquisition with a vertical market switch on the horizon.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Maybe we can talk Georgeson into stopping by for a "tell all" post.
smile.png

IF EQ and the franchise were to shutdown man do I have some questions for some of those guys if they would answer.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Matt Higby (creative director/soul of PS2) is IN

Matthew Higby @mhigby ? 2h 2 hours ago
Big round of layoffs this morning. Losing a lot of talented, hard working, irreplaceable people. Very sad day.
Katherine Anderson, programmer on PS2 is OUT:

@katharinelilly

2015-02-11 21:06:50 UTC

I probably won't be using this much anymore, I'm no longer the PS2 build master. It's been fun.

For those following, the big names still out who we're waiting to hear on:

Darren McPherson (Lead Gameplay Design, EQN/Landmark)
Michael Mann (Combat and Progression, EQN/Landmark)
Jeff Butler (Creative Director, EQN/Landmark)
Rosie Rappaport (Art Director, EQN/Landmark)
Greg Henniger/Legion (Community Manager, H1Z1) - likely IN, but not confirmed.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Maybe we can talk Georgeson into stopping by for a "tell all" post.
smile.png

IF EQ and the franchise were to shutdown man do I have some questions for some of those guys if they would answer.
Georgeson: "Hi guys! I hope you all tune into my next project! It will be such a fantastic journey and a wild ride and I guarantee you it will be chock full of useless information you won't care about at all, but I will make sure to use some colorful adjectives to keep you all entertained because whatever project I may or may not land, either way, I won't know my head from my asshole when discussing it!"

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

Hundreds of millions have already been spent on EverQuest Next. Columbus Nova obviously got a deal buying the company, but I can't imagine they just throw that investment to the wayside.

I think you're right, if they wanted to go in a completely different direction - it would have been much cheaper to look to somewhere else.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
In discussing Moorguard, who established the original Everquest lore? Also, who developed the lore through PoP?

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
What about the EQ franchise makes people think it could be a hot mobile IP? or PS2?