SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm disappointed nobody cares that the new owners took over an oil company with AKs lol

Column_sl

shitlord
So someone must have stolen the EQ source by now, will we be seeing that surface soon? And from an EMU's perspective does it even matter anymore?

Is it even possible to recreate the original EQ, a task even the people from Sony said they weren't able to do.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Also - wonder if Omeed is pissed he didn't stick around for another five months to pick up a severance package. Because you know his ass would have been laid off as well.

Column_sl

shitlord
You'll have to be more specific all Asians look alike

rrr_img_90309.jpg

demonstar55_sl

shitlord
So someone must have stolen the EQ source by now, will we be seeing that surface soon? And from an EMU's perspective does it even matter anymore?

Is it even possible to recreate the original EQ, a task even the people from Sony said they weren't able to do.
Using leaked source is a big no no. We would stay away from it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i used to have an old buddy who was an EQ dev. dude named Oliver Smith (Valtron, my server GM) he got me into all the eq betas. is he still with the company?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Are.. are they laying off their EQ1 guys too?

bitches better not kill EQ1 or nostalgic fueled nerds are gonna break down them motherfuckers.
Video game nerds against the Russian Mafia with AK-47's. Twitch.TV time!

Flc_sl

shitlord
Ben Burnett ?@RtugokDaybreak 4m4 minutes ago
We are still making #EQNext guys! That's what my job is. Don't worry. Thanks for all of your passion. That's what drives us.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Companies do not give employees warning that they are going to lay them off. Want to know why? Because they are afraid those employees will sabotage, steal, fuck up anything they can. You simply do not give warning that you are getting rid of people. Saying a guy is lying based on feels is nonsense.
Maybe at Mcdonalds, but the opposite is true at Fortune 500 companies staffed by professionals who value their reputations and whose senior board members hope fear, uncertainty, and doubt push people to leave early. Plus, most have some form of severance packages.

Layoffs, reorgs, and offshoring is a fact of life. This sort of purchase and layoff routine is way too common. The amazing thing is more people don't end up going postal, all things considered.

I agree somewhat with Spronks post that this is meant to turn SOE/Daybreak more profitable and to streamline it. I doubt they are going after the mobile market. I could see them offshoring the entire operation in a year or two, though. If their current operation is slightly profitable running out of San Diego, I imagine it could be making decent cash with the entire staff running off of a subcontracting team in Bangalore.

The joys of the global economy.

Villide

Trakanon Raider
Unfortunately, there's not a heck of a lot you can tell for the future based on the first group of layoffs. It could come in waves - one, they are probably still getting a handle on who does what and where exactly the fat is. Two, these guys are in California right? I think there are WARN laws that require 60 days notice for employees caught in a "mass" layoff - not sure what percentage of total employees we're talking about, but California is pretty employee friendly when it comes to these things. I think there are provisions that force the employer to 100% vest all employees on the 401(k) match, etc.

So these things could be staggered out a bit to save on the notice period, as well as saving some bucks. My guess is these guys have some expertise in this area.

Edited to add, courtesy of the California EDD:

Who qualifies:
Applicable to a "covered establishment" with 75 or more employees full or part-time. As under the federal WARN, employees must have been employed for at least 6 months of the 12 months preceding the date of required notice in order to be counted. [California Labor Code Section 1400 (a) and (h)]
The number of employees required:
Plant closing, layoff or relocation of 50 or more employees within a 30-day period regardless of percentage of work force. Relocation is defined as a move to a different location more than 100 miles away. [California Labor Code Section 1400 (c)and (d)]
Notification requirements:
An employer must give notice 60-days prior to a plant closing, layoff or relocation. In addition to the notifications required under federal WARN, notice must also be given to the Local Workforce Investment Board, and the chief elected official of each city and county government within which the termination, relocation or mass layoff occurs. (California Labor Code Section 1401)
Sorry, probably more info than anyone needs, just went through this a few years back and remember bits and pieces.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Flc sorry if this was mentioned earlier, but are you affiliated with soe that you get the insider deetz?
Not directly affiliated. I've just got a bunch of industry friends/connections.

Edited to add: met a ton of people by doing alpha testing for various developers and by playing MUDs in the early 90s where a lot of MMO developers got their starts as players. It's really a small industry.