SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Flc_sl

shitlord
Xander Clauss (base designer/world layout) of PS2 is out.

Taylor Dowell (designer, itemization/etc) of PS2 is out.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Wow.. didn't think PS2 would be hit much. Looks like everyone will working with skeleton crews.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
During the first wave, they cut the chaff. Over the next month, the remaining coders and designers will engage in a series of deadly games and contests to determine who has the fortitude to continue onward.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Yeah... thank goodness. She's one of the good ones. Just curious how long they'll continue with the lay offs.
Agreed. Still seems strange to me that they'd get rid of their lead content designer for their very-hyped flagship game (Moorguard) as well as its major public face (Georgeson) but keep the head of a game that's a decade old (Longdale.) Clearly there's a story or narrative that will become clearer in time but doesn't make sense currently.

As it stands, it's a bit like getting rid of Hilary Clinton and keeping Jimmy Carter, despite the fact the 2016 elections are just around the corner. Isn't computing for me.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Agreed. Still seems strange to me that they'd get rid of their lead content designer for their very-hyped flagship game (Moorguard) as well as its major public face (Georgeson) but keep the head of a game that's a decade old (Longdale.) Clearly there's a story or narrative that will become clearer in time but doesn't make sense currently.

As it stands, it's a bit like getting rid of Hilary Clinton and keeping Jimmy Carter, despite the fact the 2016 elections are just around the corner. Isn't computing for me.
I suspect a lot of it has to do with salaries too. We don't know who was getting paid what. Sometimes people get wages outside of the norm, and when layoffs happen, they're often the first to go.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I suspect a lot of it has to do with salaries too. We don't know who was getting paid what. Sometimes people get wages outside of the norm, and when layoffs happen, they're often the first to go.
Yep. The job I was at that I got laid off from I was way overpaid.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Yup. Still looks like community teams and redundant senior staff/management layers.

The only thing I'm still truly confused about is why they cut Moorgard - who developed all the lore and had plotted out all of the content/storylines, and why they kept Pentapod, who I think doesn't do much besides bake cookies and designed a crafting system at one point.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, Crafting is the way of the future, haven't you noticed how they've added it to every god damn fps?

Mobile crafting apps man. On the Xbox.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, they are cutting this company up for the resale. Trim the fat, demand some nice promo mats out of the traumatized leftovers and dump that off for a nice profit. EQN must have some things that make it worth keeping. The older games are fucked though. Unless you like stasis in those games. H1Z1 is probably the flagship now. Cheap, already pretty far along, and comparable to existing popular product.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
No, I think he did the right thing if he wants to keep his job. I don't doubt that. But don't say "I wasn't lying" to my face - and if you have the urge to, don't post at all.
The beauty is I don't really care what you think you know. People who know me know I rarely hold my opinions and feelings in. I'm very much a what you see is what you get kind of person.

Flc_sl

shitlord
The photos of the "solidarity gathering" in Landmark for the lost developers is just terribly sad - not because of the job losses which, sure, are sad in and of themselves. But rather, because the screenshots of the gathering are about 20 players. The irony being that if the game was more appealing to more than those twenty and a handful of others, we likely wouldn't be seeing layoffs to this extent.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Are.. are they laying off their EQ1 guys too?

bitches better not kill EQ1 or nostalgic fueled nerds are gonna break down them motherfuckers.