SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They're not alone on that front. CA wasted time on "impressive" facial animations for commanders in Rome II. Because you know, people playing strategy games (where a single fight has potentially thousands of actors) really want to zoom in close on their guys in all these epic moments!

rrr_img_91134.jpg
That guy's pretty tame.

rrr_img_91139.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
/pizza could have been huge. HUGE. It would have helped if it had worked.

And plus it was funny. They knew -exactly- who their customer base was.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
SOEmote has to be, hands down, the stupidest idea ever brought forth in a mmo.

I can't believe no one at SOE had the balls over the last 3 years to tell Georgeson that it was a stupid, stupid idea, and a complete waste of resources.
I get mad even thinking about... When I first watched Georgeson demonstrating SOEmote I thought even if one guy had been sitting there developing it that is one guys that could have been addressing hotbars or abilities in EQ2. That's one guy that could have spent 8 - 10 hours a day for who knows how long making things right. I cannot think of one situation to where SOEmote could improve the quality of their games.

It would be different if it was Blizzard who has so many resources and money to blow. However SoE continually ignores major issues and for whatever reason has a habit of announcing complete, off-the-wall, ignorance.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I get mad even thinking about... When I first watched Georgeson demonstrating SOEmote I thought even if one guy had been sitting there developing it that is one guys that could have been addressing hotbars or abilities in EQ2. That's one guy that could have spent 8 - 10 hours a day for who knows how long making things right. I cannot think of one situation to where SOEmote could improve the quality of their games.

It would be different if it was Blizzard who has so many resources and money to blow. However SoE continually ignores major issues and for whatever reason has a habit of announcing complete, off-the-wall, ignorance.
We were not their target audience. They wanted the moms and the little kids to eat up their products

ixian_sl

shitlord
Implementing SOEmote would be a programmer task, hotbars/abilities would be systems design.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So how long until they sell the rights to EQ to a game studio that gives 2 shits?
I'm starting to think maybe within a few weeks. They seem to be gutting most games down to skeleton crews. Designed to maintain and maybe produce a few minor droplets of new content a year. Not enough to actually make a expansion out of. I don't see what there doing as being able to maintain current revenue streams from existing gamse let alone being able fund EQ Next development.

This is starting to look like bringing in outside management whose main goal is to restructure and fire people in order to prepare company for sale to others ready to actually invest money into making EQ Next.

There current plans reduce existing costs but also place existing revenue at risk in the medium term. A quick resale seems to be one very likely option at this point.

My bet is EA EQ within six months.