SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Akkadius_sl

shitlord
Using leaked source is a big no no. We would stay away from it.
At the core of our existence, there is no hidden agenda other than a community created around an extremely strong passion for a game that many love, it doesn't get any more simple than that.

Being open source, our attitude towards EQ and Sony itself has been nothing but out of respect.

Stealing source is not something we're interested in, period. So if you see anyone who is flaunting that attitude, they most likely aren't affiliated with our group.

What is most obvious is our interest in keeping the Legacy alive, always has been.

The guys that have worked on EverQuest all of these years, I commend them for having to work with what they have had to do the things that they need to do to both please management and express their creativity with the stresses of what people above them want as well as what players are asking for is both difficult and painful. The talent and people that have worked on the franchise over the years is astounding, despite expansions, new game releases, the fact that it has lasted as long as it has is not surprising in just as many ways that it is.

Ohh, not to mention the company was acquired and many people were laid off, I can't imagine how I would feel. When you have things like this happen, your existing talent then has to struggle with keeping their spirit without going insane.

While all of these constraints, having to live up to a long living legacy and also feel personally responsible for creating content and somehow attract new users without being able to take risks, thanks but no thanks.

I've spoken to a few different previous staff members of the years and a wide variety of people who've had to do anything with the game, its very interesting to learn the progression of how things have changed over all of this time.

It sucks to see these things happen, there's nothing you can really say about it. Though, I do wish the best for everyone who is going through it staff and players.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unfortunately, there's not a heck of a lot you can tell for the future based on the first group of layoffs. It could come in waves - one, they are probably still getting a handle on who does what and where exactly the fat is. Two, these guys are in California right? I think there are WARN laws that require 60 days notice for employees caught in a "mass" layoff - not sure what percentage of total employees we're talking about, but California is pretty employee friendly when it comes to these things. I think there are provisions that force the employer to 100% vest all employees on the 401(k) match, etc.

So these things could be staggered out a bit to save on the notice period, as well as saving some bucks. My guess is these guys have some expertise in this area.

Edited to add, courtesy of the California EDD:

Who qualifies:

Notification requirements:

Sorry, probably more info than anyone needs, just went through this a few years back and remember bits and pieces.
I'd imagine Smed had lots of input on who got laid off

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Much happening for sure...nothing too unexpected I guess.

I am sorry for the people who got let go, (if any of them read this forum)...and I assume more bad news is to come.

Good or bad, ponytail was the face of EQN and Landmark. (Even non hardcore players knew who he was from videos and such)..Letting him go cannot be a good thing for the future, no?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Much happening for sure...nothing too unexpected I guess.

I am sorry for the people who got let go, (if any of them read this forum)...and I assume more bad news is to come.

Good or bad, ponytail was the face of EQN and Landmark. (Even non hardcore players knew who he was from videos and such)..Letting him go cannot be a good thing for the future, no?
Sounds like he was a nice guy but wasn't getting it done in his position. That's what happens when you're a top guy.

Villide

Trakanon Raider
They are in New York, Villide
Thanks Vinyard. Looks like New York's rules are pretty stringent as well. And New York requires 90 days advance notice.

I guess the bottom line is, there could be just this wave of layoffs or there could be a lot more. But we might not know for another month or two.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Ruby Opfer, artist on H1Z1 is out:

Ruby Opfer
?@ROpfer_MMO
Hey #H1Z1 survivors. Its a sucky day, but the H1Z1 Team is a strong team, and they will move forward with no delay. Cheers!

Flc_sl

shitlord
Ruby Opfer, artist on H1Z1 is out:

Ruby Opfer
?@ROpfer_MMO
Hey #H1Z1 survivors. Its a sucky day, but the H1Z1 Team is a strong team, and they will move forward with no delay. Cheers!
Interesting to note that this is the first conformation of someone being let go (aside from Kelduum, who was redundant with other designers, and Steve Danuser) that was actually aiding in the construction - through design, art, or programming - rather than everything around that construction (community, management, production).

As unfortunate as this is, how about that Vanguard source code so we can get to fixing it instead of rebuilding it?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
DayBreak Games_sl said:
the company will continue on its mission to partner with its player community to drive the future and push the boundaries of online gaming.
EQBrowser

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It blows my mind that an industry that makes video games just has so much interesting shit playing out. Mind blowing shit!

Flc_sl

shitlord
Steve Danuser ?@Moorgard 15m15 minutes ago
@druidsfire Keep it going! There are great people making EQN content like @cronyndaybreak and @jaugustine!

Note the absence of @JButlerDaybreak's handle from that list. Changing my previous prediction from 99% to 99.5% - just waiting for his confirmation tweet.