SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah reddit and somethingawful have huge PS2 communities. The official forums are never a good place to discuss anything of any real value, we all know that.

Dejoblue_sl

shitlord
Not surprised Elidroth drank the "its just a name change" koolaid.

Just by reading that derp thread he made asking people why people play eqemu when they could be playing eqlive is reason enough to think he is a mongoloid
If this is a shell and sell they may be seeing what they could do to make money off the progression server/classic server market.

it all jives with removing community managers and relations, removing creative developers, keeping technical staff.

If you do not plan to make EQN and only Landmark, you do not need lore, story, quests or even art style direction.

If you do not intend to produce more content for EQ, EQ2 etc and plan to just squeeze out every last penny available running a skeleton crew to keep what has already been developed running you do not need the above either.

With P99 and being able to have full access on Test why would anyone pay to play or roll a f2p toon on live?

A smart business man could see this and decide EQs future is in TLP servers with no plans or need to continue further development.

Cease and desist P99, close Test, leave Live in its final state, merge everything onto one server and let it all slowly attrit until the cost to keep the lights on > the revenue generated from F2P or subs.

I personally would change the name if EQN is still to be developed. EQ may be the namesake and the only thing they ever really did that was successful enough to enter the pantheon (no pun intended) of great games but it's decade of gimp existence has marred it's once decent reputation.

Licensure of the EQN engine is also a good possibility with voxels being the buzzword these days. It is probably the best asset SOE had with the ability to generate revenue without SOE, EQ or any negative connotation attached to it, at least immediately. Then again it may be proprietary spaghetti code and unmarketable as well.

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
If you do not plan to make EQN and only Landmark, you do not need lore, story, quests or even art style direction.

If you do not intend to produce more content for EQ, EQ2 etc and plan to just squeeze out every last penny available running a skeleton crew to keep what has already been developed running you do not need the above either.
I never understood why they had to create new "lore" for EQNext in the first place. Everything already existed, maybe the new managment thinks the same. Rewriting existing lore and retconing was another pointless exercise.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, honestly, what percentage of the EQ playerbase actually knew enough of the lore to necessitate a shake-up.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've spent about 10 hours on the ps2 console beta. The controller mapping has already changed at least once and I didn't like all those changes, but at least they are forcing things to test. Smoother beta test than hardline as far as game polish goes. I'd prefer bf4 mapping just to avoid a new learning curve, but I'm extremely lazy when it goes to console gaming.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Right, but there's a difference between knowing setting dressing (Pantheon names+roles) and THE DEEP LOREZ of which tranny Mayong Mistmoore buggered to obtain the Ruby of Rugose Rogering.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's basically easier and cheaper to write new EQ like lore then it is to train the new writers to use the old lore.

That being said ill say again I hated the abandonment of old EQ lore planned by EQ Next.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Endymion was a EQ2 programmer they hired, and there's a Daybreak position for the same thing they laid him off for. What the fuck.
Don't know the programmer, but my guess is they are cleaning out all the possible taint that could have been caused by being led and learning bad habits from such shit management.

I would do the same. Clean the house.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
game-thrones-red-wedding.jpg

Amenra

Molten Core Raider
Let's all hope that Viktor Vekselberg is secretly a Everquest Classic enthusiast and that this is all part of his plan to get a classic EQ server up.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He was sick of always losing bosses to the Americans or Japanese. Now bosses spawn on rusky time, bitches.

Villide

Trakanon Raider
Wouldn't be the worst idea. Diversity at a game studio is a good thing with a bunch of side effects, one of those being that it presents moronic "jokes" like this.
All joking aside, most companies consider those things. Not just the bottom line dollars and cents saved in a mass layoff, but how many women and minorities you're excising.

Additionally, I know people say that 50 is the new 40. But in the world of labor law, 40 is the new 60. Basically, if you're 40 years old you're a protected class. There are additional notifications, time frames and rescinding periods on signed severance documents for those 40+'ers (old fuckers per the US/state governments).

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That's something I haven't thought of until now... Wonder how Daybreak will handle P1999 and/or EQEmu for that matter?

I guess right now there is no need to villainize yourself any further but in time... who knows. If I was Daybreak, I would let out the server code and create a way for people to make servers and charge them a fee.