SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Wow succeeded because it wasfun. Plain and simple. something that SoE never could figure out. Maybe because folks at SoE ware never truly "gamers"?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Server / engine issues can be overlooked if they can be fixed, the important part is the gameplay being there which WoW vanilla had going for it. Compare that to SWTOR where people knew really early on how god awful the Hero engine was and the game would never get past it, to this day they can't even get 16-man instances running smoothly.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I was. I played both betas and bought both games. I was on the FOH forums then, also.
I'm surprised you have this opinion than. My memory is definitely foggy but I still remember how much more fluid wow ran as opposed to eq2.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The Muffins programmer from EQ1 is the best programmer in the industry. Sling that spaghetti~

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised you have this opinion than. My memory is definitely foggy but I still remember how much more fluid wow ran as opposed to eq2.
He is talking about Raid splits with MC and server issues that ran through Christmas and into 2005. We were all credited with free game time. What he doesn't understand is that this was an excusable anomaly this time around because no one knew how wildly successful this game was going to be. I ran into one broken quest the entire time I was playing through Vanilla... ONE. Coming from EQ with games shipping half complete and unfinished loot tables/broken everything every expansion launch, and a half finished DAOC, this game was an MMORPG'ers wet dream being that the actual content worked, the UI was fluid, the animations were above excellent, and it was fun to play.

Vitality

HUSTLE
He is talking about Raid splits with MC and server issues that ran through Christmas and into 2005. We were all credited with free game time. What he doesn't understand is that this was an excusable anomaly this time around because no one knew how wildly successful this game was going to be. I ran into one broken quest the entire time I was playing through Vanilla... ONE. Coming from EQ with games shipping half complete and unfinished loot tables/broken everything every expansion launch, and a half finished DAOC, this game was an MMORPG'ers wet dream being that the actual content worked, the UI was fluid, the animations were above excellent, and it was fun to play.
Circumstantially successful at the time.. easy to quit within a couple weeks now.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I've made the point multiple times the combat system was completely terrible for EQ2. I've also said today and in 04/05 that if they had cut and pasted EQs combat system on top of EQ2 the game would have been an order of magnitude better.

Wow succeeded because it wasfun. Plain and simple. something that SoE never could figure out. Maybe because folks at SoE ware never truly "gamers"?
I agree. It was fun because it was well designed. EQ2 was not. That isn't the programmers fault, which was my simple point but leadership and design.

The funny thing is I get the feeling Titan was designed in the same way as EQ2 and someone at Blizz who 'got it' realized that and threw up his hands and canned it.

Silence_sl

shitlord
I've made the point multiple times the combat system was completely terrible for EQ2. I've also said today and in 04/05 that if they had cut and pasted EQs combat system on top of EQ2 the game would have been an order of magnitude better.
It's pretty clear from your posts that you have played neither game. Or, if you did, you are simply too stupid to make viable judgements about either.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
No it wouldn't have been. Until the EoF expansion even had they had a combat system similar to EQ (Which sounds really ridiculous since EQ's combat sstem was outdated by this time) it was still an uninspired world with itemization and gear that didn't mean anything, group XP penalties, horrible animations, clunky UI, horrible engine optimization, and a large empty world with pluck off packs of mobs doing nothing but standing there lifeless - along with awful art for player characters and NPC's alike and a randomly generated overlands given zone names without any hand crafting aside from randomly placed POI's which also held no bearing on the lore of the game.

At least EoF fixed this and implemented other 1-20 starting zones. But then after that, one is still plunked down into the 20+ game where the main problems with the game were.

Skill bloat was about 3% of the game's issues.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Actually, I liked the graphics and the UI. I did hate the zones and the animations left a lot to be desired, but for me the biggest problem was the combat and grouping mechanics, especially coming to EQ2 after playing AC2 and DAOC both of which had oustanding combat.

I played several years of WOW because of the content and design. I thought the grouping was good, but the graphics were never my cup of tea. I had plenty of issues with the WOW world similar to your complaints but the game was playable because grouping was good and combat was fun, something that's always been missing from EQ2 for me.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Actually, I liked the graphics and the UI. I did hate the zones and the animations left a lot to be desired, but for me the biggest problem was the combat and grouping mechanics, especially coming to EQ2 after playing AC2 and DAOC both of which had oustanding combat.
Stick and dick is outstanding combat?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
confused.png

I'm sure your detailed knowledge of the programmers at SOE and Blizzard is extensive. I'd actually say the programmers at SOE did far more given the terrible design document EQ2 had.

Reading comprehension for the win, or at least substantiate your troll.
You are clueless. WoW succeeded SOLELY on the backs of Blizzard's engineers and animators. The game engine is the best in the business. That's it. The game designers were carried along for the ride. You replace them with monkeys with keyboards, which is what most of the WoW design team is anyway, and you still get a game that 'feels fun' (which means the engine) and sells all those boxes.

Most of the engineering talent in this industry is very bad.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Dumar, I just can't disagree more with that entire statement and I also wonder how well you understand coding and network engineering, especially 10 to 15 years ago? I agree Blizz has some top notch people, but there were really talented people at Turbine, SOE, Trion, etc as well and many have moved back and forth.

I also think most of Blizzard's successes in the 90s/00s were a result of leadership and design decisions. WOW was the perfect storm at the perfect time, especially in Asia, just like Starcraft was.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
You are clueless. WoW succeeded SOLELY on the backs of Blizzard's engineers and animators. The game engine is the best in the business. That's it. The game designers were carried along for the ride. You replace them with monkeys with keyboards, which is what most of the WoW design team is anyway, and you still get a game that 'feels fun' (which means the engine) and sells all those boxes.
This is an amazingly ignorant statement.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Dumar is just shit posting like normal. WoW was and is a better designed game than anything SOE ever produced. Not only that but they do a damn good job of listening to their customer base(for the most part), and adding content that is fairly fun and addicting. It is the standard and will continue to be the standard MMOs are judged by.

EQ3 would have been a massive waste of money after some thought. You don't sell a game off 50,000 subs. so, they market the hell out of it, set up for hopefully big box sales, and then go through the traditional massive loss in subs like everyone else. Except now you have maybe 50,000-100,00 subs and you have probably cannibalized both EQ, and EQ2 which still make money. Is the profit there for all the time, effort, and money you have wasted? Probably not. The real loss was not figuring this out before they wasted a lot of money.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
EQ3 would have been a massive waste of money after some thought. You don't sell a game off 50,000 subs.
I'd love to know where you and Draegan pull out the 50k number for EQ3. I know it's from someone's ass, but I'd like to exactly whose.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In regard to eq3. They obviously thought it was a good idea at the time. I'm sure they had an idea on number of subs. They were pushing ahead for 2 years until they decided to go after the lol crowd, which is massive. I get the thought, but saying only 50k is retarded. Eq3 would have made them plenty of money if the game was made correctly.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
In regard to eq3. They obviously thought it was a good idea at the time. I'm sure they had an idea on number of subs. They were pushing ahead for 2 years until they decided to go after the lol crowd, which is massive. I get the thought, but saying only 50k is retarded. Eq3 would have made them plenty of money if the game was made correctly.
Which they cannot make correctly.

PS: Tony Clifton is my hero.