SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
We've got a lot of meetings this and next week to determine our plans going forward. I really can't comment on anything until after that's done.
Will you be on the stream today? I'm hoping it goes well and our questions get some answers. Seen tons of questions and concerns on official forums.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
But lets not forget what this did to SWTOR. I played that game at launch for about a year or so. Back then they had these mini bosses all over the fucking place, and they all pretty much dropped orange gear, the type that you could put the mods into them. Anything from armor, to guns and light sabers. It was cool to search for and hunt these fuckers down. Even to equip your alts.

Well here comes the F2P and cash shop and what do they do? They remove all this sweet orange gear from these elite mobs loot table and place all the shit in the cash shop.

This is what F2P and cash shop does for games....
You can get a full suite of orange gear by level 20-25 if you run a couple flashpoints. If you are not picky and just want a place where to stuff mods, social gear is available as well. World mobs are still around last I checked and they still drop some stuff. Of course having a cosmetic based cartel market makes it so that the cool looking stuff is sold there. Something has to pay the bills. At least it's not a pay2win game.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
You're sitting here saying with a straight face that SWTOR has the best ftp model? I know you like to schill this game but come one. It's one of the worst introduced. They charge for fucking hotbars. That alone puts them in asshole territory.
I'll bite.
It's the best compared to all the others I played (not the best in the world? I wouldn't know), because you can play the solo game to follow the class storyline (probably the best aspect of the whole game for many) without spending anything at all. There are some locked things that can be obtained by a single 5$ purchase (hotbars included), because you become a premium member with any single purchase. You get sprint at level 10 (or 20?) instead of level 1 when f2p, which is annoying, but it doesn't prevent you from playing. You have everything limited, but again, you are paying exactly nothing.
I'm not sure why free to play means "I'm entitled to have everything and pay exactly fuck all". A new game costs 60 fucking bucks, a dated one if it's decent costs about half on Steam and similar retailers. Most of these games provide 10 to 50 hours of gameplay, an MMO provides usually hundreds of hours (we can debate on quality till we're blue in the face) and for many players it's not even worth paying 5$?

WoW is a sub only game, so its cash shop is not really a comparable metric for f2p games, but in my limited experience of f2p, neverwinter was a fucking disaster, lotro is beyond the realm of ridicolous (they sell quest packs, for fuck's sake) and the rest of mmos I played were usually b2p. I'm not sure if I missed some amazing f2p title. I tend to gravitate towards games where my friends play as well, so I don't explore the whole f2p galaxy.

Swtor for me it's actually b2p, similar to gw2 or tsw, I can fork some money and then play. So yes, unless someone is super casual and plays only solo/duo, f2p swtor is very limiting.
Also true: I like swtor a lot, I don't think I'm on a schill level, but yeah, I can point out why it's good and I probably do it too often. I could also point out why and where it's bad, but it'd be my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. The reality is that I'm a sucker for lightsabers and autocannons.

I gave up looking for the perfect game and this f2p model makes me play a lot more titles that normally I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole. If they end up being fun, I usually spend a few euros on them, both for personal convenience and for supporting the game. For example, I believe Wildstar would benefit from this, I would load it up again, eventually pay some money for some shit, as it is now, I won't even keep it on my hard drive. TESO was immediately a "no way" purchase, etc.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
We were talking about examples that arnt P2W, I consider P2W being able to buy any advantage over a player who isnt paying.
There's four levels of cash shops:

- F2P: Nothing you pay affect your gameplay (Free to Play)
- P2S: Nothing you buy can't be obtained by non-paying characters, you just get it faster (Pay to Shortcut)
- P2W: What you buy can't be obtained by non-paying characters (Pay to Win)
- P2P: Not only that, but what you buy is required to actually play part of the game (Pay to Play)

Most of what we feel is ok is level 1 or 2. Asian games are usually level 3, if not 4. Feel free to place your favorite games on that scale. You actually can split that on two axes, one for performance (combat), one for convenience (UI/inventory/utility).

Hmmm, I should put a summary of that somewhere, actually.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
In the early 90s with Compuserve, AOL, and TSN we paid hourly gaming fees. When the industry moved to a monthly sub it was great, but it was reflective of the marketplace, and things simplifying.

I think the subscription model sucks, but the cash shop one really is horrible in every manner. I despise the Zynga/Mobile market that wants you to pay to play a static game. I'm a fan of paying for content. I actually like the idea of buying content packs or expansions. I think the season pass idea is also a good one.

Unfortunately, cash shops aren't going away any more than WOW's sub model is despite the fact both are pure profit and make no sense for consumers due to the fact people use and pay for them. I have a similar gripe about Xbox Live and now PSN Plus, and paying to use multiplayer on your own internet connection.

The amusing thing is I detested Steam early on due to their DRM, but as of now they are my favorite service and my preferred gaming portal, as they support Indys and are not there to just fleece consumers a la Xbox Live or cash shops. It'll be interesting how things move forward with the mobile industry taking over and cash shops the flavor of the decade.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the subscription model sucks, but the cash shop one really is horrible in every manner. I despise the Zynga/Mobile market that wants you to pay to play a static game. I'm a fan of paying for content. I actually like the idea of buying content packs or expansions. I think the season pass idea is also a good one.
But isn't that quote really the point? In the last five years, the market has introduced a multitude of models to support the multitude of needs/desires of the marketplace. Some of these models have actually saved games that people on these forums seem to cherish (SWTOR, EQ, Secret World, etc). There really isn't a wrong way, regardless of what you may like. If the market doesn't accept your "model", you adjust or flounder. That's Business 101 and the only way EA was able to save SWTOR, for instance. As an old director of mine used to say, "Skate to where the puck is at."

Sure, I prefer a subscription model, but it doesn't make me any more "right" than the person who prefers B2P or F2P. It's helped to expand the reach of MMOs to people who wouldn't have considered them in the past due to a prohibitive model. That expansion results is more money and capital flooding into the industry to develop more MMOs which is a good thing. The real problem for the umpteenth time, is that there are so many games out there that are complete and total crap. Unfortunately, a lot of those, are categorized as F2P which is why there is such a negative connotation toward that specific model.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Great post Xaxius. Many crappy F2P games are just made to 'get in on the free money'. Another reason there are so many crappy games is because everyone is keeping most of the same old crap and just adding a few bells and whistles. All the easy stuff like levels, static mobs, quests, and even trinity combat haven't been extensively changed up for most titles. Blizzard does it better and they have had issues because these systems are not optimal and bring out massive deja vu burnout.

People may slam Daybreak for trying something that was too far off original EQ but that market is saturated. At a time when there are so many options, is it really that surprising people aren't trying to redo a game that succeeded mainly because it supplied a niche(3-D) in a limited market? Its unique features were mainly caused by programming errors, failures to launch product in a timely fashion, and other issues better developers don't ever want to do?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
We've got a lot of meetings this and next week to determine our plans going forward. I really can't comment on anything until after that's done.
I was planning on attending the EQ2 Twitch Q&A today. Not sure why but I guess I have some weird soft spot in my heart for the game. I also want to support Holly in whatever small way I end up doing so. I'll never subscribe to EQ or EQII again unless they either restore EQI to some state of visible classic (which i'm sure will never happen) or they fix EQII's ability bloating.

It's a perfect time to have a MMO on tap as we really have nothing that's a homerun unless something is specifically your flavor.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I was planning on attending the EQ2 Twitch Q&A today. Not sure why but I guess I have some weird soft spot in my heart for the game. I also want to support Holly in whatever small way I end up doing so. I'll never subscribe to EQ or EQII again unless they either restore EQI to some state of visible classic (which i'm sure will never happen) or they fix EQII's ability bloating.

It's a perfect time to have a MMO on tap as we really have nothing that's a homerun unless something is specifically your flavor.
Ability bloat is real. Whats funny is that a lot of eq2 players call it "skill" having 8 hotbars and clicking anything that is up

moontayle

Golden Squire
I enjoyed EQ2, never really considered it an EQ game (if they had just called it Shattered Lands I think it might have done better) but yeah, the ability bloat was bad. I also think they moved way too fast on the initial few expansions. Barely had time to consume one before the next one came out. I did like their crafting system though, probably one of the more engaging from a gameplay standpoint, at least once they made the initial improvement.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
People may slam Daybreak for trying something that was too far off original EQ but that market is saturated
I think we've long established that the MMORPG market is saturated with crap fantasy games which is a far cry from being saturated with games, and, if you really want to split bamboo shoots, has little to do with whether or not the market is saturated with EQ IP games anyway, as we have also established that IP can trump craptasticness (SWTOR, EQ2).

Tol_sl

shitlord
I despise the AA limit on EQ1 for F2P. I always wanted more people for casual groups. Casual groups aren't what they were from ages ago. Using F2P as fodder for groups would be a pleasant improvement, but they're all gimps. EQ1's F2P is basically an online tutorial. Those players are of no benefit to me, only Daybreak. The AA auto-grant for high levels is like 5k+, but the earnable AA cap for F2P isn't close to that.
I remember we used a mercenary instead of your paladin to tank for like the first 3k aa, haha. That makes it pretty damn hard to get rolling as a casual f2p player when peoples pocket-bots are more effective than the f2p players. Did they ever add item unlockers and aug options?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do they still limit you to worthless Apprentice Mercenaries in EQ1 unless you're on full-sub?

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Do they still limit you to worthless Apprentice Mercenaries in EQ1 unless you're on full-sub?
Free get 250 max aa, mercs to App-t2.

Silver (no idea how to make free accounts now silver) 1k max aa, mercs app-t5.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Silver is gone now I think. You just subscribe for a single month and auto grant will give you all AA up to level 90. So if your level 90+ $14.99 gives you 6kish free AA and 30 days to gain more before ability to gain new AA ends with subscription. Once subscription ends you can't gain new AA but you keep the ones you already have.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Don't you just come out better getting All Access? $12.99 monthly (with 3 month sub) is what I keep and you pretty well get everything for all games. Been awhile since I looked at it but it seemed like a good deal at the time. I kept it just incase it provided some perks for Landmark, H1Z1, and Next.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pushing people towards a eventual subscription is the basic concept of EQ f2p model.

They haven't been willing to simply embrace f2p as there end goal for EQ.