SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
The average life expectancy in H1Z1 might be 45 minutes, and that's what today's gamers want.
H1Z1........FPS game over a bigger map?

Maybe remove the old school time sinks you a-holes! Maybe actually put in some structure, things like meaningful crafting, land ownership with interaction to NPC and PC players, purpose other than the next texture skins laziness, random template quest creator crap dump and wallet shop goodies that crashes the merchant markets.

Why dont they just finish off the company catalog conversion over to crappy console play and be done with it.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll quote you when its canned ;}
I wouldn't be surprised if EQN is canned. And their reasoning that WoW style mmo's are over is partially true, but only for them. Because they are incompetent morons who couldn't take a great IP like Everquest and create something worthwile. They don't have the talent or leadership to make a decent WoW style mmo.

WoW's sub numbers prove that there is plenty of room for the old style EQ/WoW mmo. But just like anything, execution is the most important thing, not "style". WoW is a very well made game, that is why it wins. A well made game that is fun will always be successful, it doesn't matter what style it is.

The only hope for a decent EQ game at this point is for some whale to come by and buy the IP from Smedley's clueless hands. That's basically a pipe dream though, so realistically.... EQ is dead.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They can't make a fun MMO with the staff they have left after firing most of them. Hence, "it's impossible!"

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't be surprised if EQN is canned. And their reasoning that WoW style mmo's are over is partially true, but only for them. Because they are incompetent morons who couldn't take a great IP like Everquest and create something worthwile. They don't have the talent or leadership to make a decent WoW style mmo.

WoW's sub numbers prove that there is plenty of room for the old style EQ/WoW mmo. But just like anything, execution is the most important thing, not "style". WoW is a very well made game, that is why it wins. A well made game that is fun will always be successful, it doesn't matter what style it is.

The only hope for a decent EQ game at this point is for some whale to come by and buy the IP from Smedley's clueless hands. That's basically a pipe dream though, so realistically.... EQ is dead.
What blows my mind is I don't think it would be that hard to make a successful MMO using the EQ name. I think they are overcomplicating this project and trying to do too much at least in their position. I would just want to get back on the MMO map because they have not been relevant in the Fantasy MMO genre for a very long time.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
Look at what Grinding Gear Games has accomplished with Path of Exile. Love it or hate it, they've pulled themselves up out of nothing into a very successful game without the benefit of a previously known IP. They're making a deeply complex game bit by bit, and staying profitable. How you monetize the game is irrelevant, so long as the game and setting are fulfilling.

edit: I kinda wish they'd kept ponytail over Smed. He at least had some energy invested into it all.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well... Not that it matters but I was just asking some casual questions just demonstrating some sympathy and concern about if they would have to move their offices and whoever trolls this board from Daybreak freaked out with some condescending tone about how that wouldn't be happening, nothing is happening or going to happen, and it's just a name change....
They have at least three buildings at their current location. They aren't moving into new space so much as they are moving out of space they don't need and probably can't afford. There's a commercial real estate glut in San Diego. My company moved out of two buildings exactly two years ago, and both are still vacant. Drive around the business parks in San Diego and you see "commercial space available" on countless office buildings.

No doubt their new space will be more modern, that's a given due to the market conditions. Landlords are willing to gut interior space and redesign to suit for a long term lease. They may be trying to sell the new space angle, but it's all about reducing square footage and the price per square foot they are currently paying.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Look at what Grinding Gear Games has accomplished with Path of Exile. Love it or hate it, they've pulled themselves up out of nothing into a very successful game without the benefit of a previously known IP. They're making a deeply complex game bit by bit, and staying profitable. How you monetize the game is irrelevant, so long as the game and setting are fulfilling.

edit: I kinda wish they'd kept ponytail over Smed. He at least had some energy invested into it all.
Now if only they could figure out how to add a basic fucking currency.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I received a mail that said "WTF is happening at Daybreak?". I found it very professional. *rolleyes*

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I first thought that some gaming site I had to register for had managed to bypass its "no spam plz" setting. But no, it was straight from Daybreak.

Now, to find how to change those settings on the new outfit...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't wait till smed gets fired. He has no value at this point to me as a gamer. Pantheon on.

Zarlore_sl

shitlord
They have at least three buildings at their current location. They aren't moving into new space so much as they are moving out of space they don't need and probably can't afford. There's a commercial real estate glut in San Diego. My company moved out of two buildings exactly two years ago, and both are still vacant. Drive around the business parks in San Diego and you see "commercial space available" on countless office buildings.

No doubt their new space will be more modern, that's a given due to the market conditions. Landlords are willing to gut interior space and redesign to suit for a long term lease. They may be trying to sell the new space angle, but it's all about reducing square footage and the price per square foot they are currently paying.
It may be more about cutting ties with Sony. Could be some type of stipulation stated in the acquisition.

Pharazon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Imho: This is a big deal. Lets see how this agreement works out over time.
Would be sweet if it meant Daybreak was considering getting P99's help to setup a legit classic server. I would re-sub for that. Early P99 was a ton of fun, but the current server saturation + potential corruption etc. keep me from coming back. If Daybreak is going to do another classic server they should do it right like this, and give some sort of compensation to P99 ppl (or contract one of them to run it). They could probably easily fill a couple legit classic servers with a lot of new subs.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of creepy, Smed invited me to E3 during the Planetside 1 alpha. I stopped using my mic around strangers after that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Reset the lore back to POP and start building on the epic quest story lines. Steal FFXIV's idea and keep upgrading them to keep them current with end game raid weapons. That gives people a buy in to the current content without mudflating away the work they have been putting in over 16 years. Consolidate all the bullshit currencies and quest systems into one cleaned up UI. Redo character models and landscapes in a current engine. Create some new goddamn visual armor sets. Give people real F2P options like DDO. Hell, they could make a mint by selling blocks of 1000 AA unlocks on an account for $10 each.

Marcus_sl

shitlord
Would be sweet if it meant Daybreak was considering getting P99's help to setup a legit classic server
Reading this quote, trolled me pretty good.

No, p99 cannot help whatsoever because server-side code is completely different on p99, same with the database. It runs Eqemu code, which is open source. Look over EQLive source-code/database and learn wtf is going on, ya right. Rogean & Nilbog are good at one thing only, hording other developer's work.

If Daybreak is going to do another classic server they should do it right like this...
Everyone always proposes a new server idea.

Daybreak SHOULD be spending their time on making the community be able to run & manage their own custom servers.

Eqemu already has a web interface that does that.
EQEmu/Server at web_interface · GitHub
Akkadius/EQEmuEOC · GitHub

p99 gets nothing and Daybreak gets a release delay. That's all this was. Velious should release same day as EQLive progression server. Make them kill off EQLive just like Vanguard, and then we all win.