SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Eonan

Doer of Things
Probably been canned, hoping that the investment firm isnt looking to cash out with the subs from Ragefire with a shutdown.

Eonan

Doer of Things
How many subs could that actually be?
According to Daybreak the server is "capable" of holding twice the population of the previous two progression servers combined. Think server cap used to be 2000, so figure the new cap is maybe 3-4k? And there is still a long login queue during the day so figure at least 4k subs trying to access Ragefire. Granted, theres no way to tell how many of those accounts already had All Access before the server launched.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That doesn't seem like that many to "wait until they sub and fire Smed". Don't you think those people would sub anyway as diehard fans?

Eonan

Doer of Things
That doesn't seem like that many to "wait until they sub and fire Smed". Don't you think those people would sub anyway as diehard fans?
I don't think him being fired/canned is really even related to the progression server launch. I probably should have worded my first post better. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this was coming from the minute they were purchased, and was kept on for the transition.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I really don't think he's going anywhere yet. Could be totally proven wrong in the next few days, but I feel like this is going to somehow relate to any impending E3 announcements of new games.

And yeah, being a big server in EQ1 isn't really saying a lot but I do like seeing the interest level in the progression server. It's a shame that it equates more to gated content than actually being a nostalgia trip, the game is still very much a product of how current EQ is. Not sure on the logistics of doing it, but if Blizzard every did this with WoW I'd be all over it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't think him being fired/canned is really even related to the progression server launch. I probably should have worded my first post better. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew this was coming from the minute they were purchased, and was kept on for the transition.
Gotcha. That makes more sense.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just looked up Daybreak games for shits and giggles, and apparently they own Pirates of the Burning Sea. Didn't know that.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's the most chill of the three. Never really feel frustrated playing Marvel. Just good old fashioned fun.
I play Marvel Heroes when I want to turn my brain off and bask in the glow of my monitor. I play Path of Exile when I want to enjoy more in depth gameplay and be challenged.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I sure do love when grown ass men post tweets/statuses that are intentionally cryptic to generate attention.

He should have just gone full retard and followed it up with a Third Eye Blind or Semisonic lyric.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I sure do love when grown ass men post tweets/statuses that are intentionally cryptic to generate attention.

He should have just gone full retard and followed it up with a Third Eye Blind or Semisonic lyric.

Hahahaha, kinda reminds me a few weeks back a friend and I were talking about how hilarious it would be if Goodell suspended Brady for a year and Brady just decided to retire for good, "Fuck you Goodell". I would have a ton of respect if Smed did some shit like that. Back on topic, wouldn't surprise me at all if Columbus Nova looked at what SOE had done over the last few years and came to an obvious conclusion that this guy wasn't right for the job.

Crazy Conspiracy Theory: Smed openly stated that they were always impressed with Project Copernicus, but that the price was just too high. In a panic to have Daybreak survive he said, "Fuck it we don't have the resources to build anything remotely like EQNext... PLAN B". With RI & Daybreak at similar crossroads they reach a deal, and Daybreak rushes to start working on Copernicus...

... or they could just create EQIII, then again they had trouble re-releasing a game they made 16 years ago.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm pretty sure after a decade or two as CEO Smed is all set to chill on the fruit of his labor or take another similar job somewhere else. He doesnt have to worry about his future n like the rank&file that were let go during the transition.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Or instead of getting his usual Pastrami on Rye he opted for a Turkey Club. I don't understand this compulsion to share your every inner thought with completely anonymous strangers on the Internet, especially if you're limited to 180 characters and can't even make it entertaining.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_98432.jpg

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
Or instead of getting his usual Pastrami on Rye he opted for a Turkey Club. I don't understand this compulsion to share your every inner thought with completely anonymous strangers on the Internet, especially if you're limited to 180 characters and can't even make it entertaining.
because like all egomaniacs in positions of power. They believe they are the voice of something. Just like when he said the industry is changing. Its changed, and the market that his company fails at tapping into still exists. DBG isnt interested on expanding on their current niche, but they intend to use it/ milk it to fund the change they see in the industry.