SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The MMORPG market is over saturated and MOBA's have now far surpassed popularity of MMORPG's. But it's a little late to try and hop into the MOBA market. A new MOBA could be successful but it'd have to be very well done. As someone who's not really interested in MOBA's all I'm not seeing is a good FPS MOBA.

27 games on steam claiming to be MOBA's.

MOBA games on Steam

Wikipedia's select list of defunct, current and future releases:

List of multiplayer online battle arena games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Just like any genre, everyone is trying to copy the leaders (DOTA/LOL) but put their own twist on things. Some are decent, some are terrible. Thing is with MOBAs you need a critical mass of players to actually be successful, so it's difficult to get off the ground.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
They used to design their games in a way that made me play them a year+ straight, now their design grabs me for a couple of weeks once or twice a year.
I used to play music really loud. Now I've turned it down. Conclusion: music just isn't what it used to be and sucks and there isn't an entire generation blasting music I just don't relate to?

I share your opinion on Blizzard, but what I quoted was a pretty weak argument for it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Well I can only speak for myself for certain. However, Blizz themselves refer to cyclical patterns in their player base often enough to consider it a general trend. That's all I'm basing that impression on really.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
It's all relative, sure. But you have a lot more people playing WoW for longer periods of time than EQ, for instance. Is it the games changing, or us? Are we changing because the games are changing us, or because we're changing the games? Is Blizzard tapping into the nature of players to play more games for less time and return more often, or is that what people do because that's what the content dictates?

I think the key point, though, is a game company has to actually be putting out playable (didn't say finished!) games, and then market the hell out of them, to even have a chance at staying relevant these days. Blizzard still does that really well. SOE can't do either, thus, this thread.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, I used to play a ton more because the games fucking required it to make any kind of progress. That doesn't mean the games were "better" when I played them more. Reagent farming for consumables/Endless AA Grind can die in a fire.

The non-shit MMOs charge a monthly fee. They don't need you logging in every day and grinding for 4 hours. They just need you logging in frequently enough to feel like keeping your sub active.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I mean, I used to play a ton more because the games fucking required it to make any kind of progress. That doesn't mean the games were "better" when I played them more. Reagent farming for consumables/Endless AA Grind can die in a fire.

The non-shit MMOs charge a monthly fee. They don't need you logging in every day and grinding for 4 hours. They just need you logging in frequently enough to feel like keeping your sub active.
Yea that's the point - from the numbers I read on this very forum (they might be wrong /shrug), about a third of the WoW population didn't feel it's actually worth it between WoD release and last month.

Anyway that's derailing again - but Daybreak has done nothing of interest so far, and are as likely to dissolve as they are to put out an actual MMO product. So what can we talk about, Smed hinting at changing his favorite snack from mozzarella sticks to tortilla wraps on twitter?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Or you could play EQ2, where grinding the same thing every day all day is your content!

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Moorguard is the biggest cocksucker I ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Blizzard is stupid on an epic level.
I worked with Moorgard and when I first met him I had only heard negative things about him. But you know what? His work was great, he did his work tirelessly and I know the team he is working with is the same. I think you should reconsider. I would work with him again any day.

vynde_sl

shitlord
It's all relative, sure. But you have a lot more people playing WoW for longer periods of time than EQ, for instance. Is it the games changing, or us? Are we changing because the games are changing us, or because we're changing the games? Is Blizzard tapping into the nature of players to play more games for less time and return more often, or is that what people do because that's what the content dictates?
For a while I thought it was the industry that had changed as I played EQ, SWG, and WoW for YEARS. But truth be told, I'm sure many of us didn't have the responsibilities we have today that we did not have 15 years ago (I was in high school when I started EQ). Nowadays I still read posts here, but I'm mostly playing Destiny because it's really easy to log in for an hour here and there, get shit done, and do everything else I HAVE to do just to live. Growing up sucks.

And while I cross my fingers for "this could turn it around for x mmo by SOE!", I know deep down even if it's the second coming of EQ I just wouldn't be able to stick around for too long because my girlfriend shoots daggers if I play destiny for like 45 min straight...

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
For a while I thought it was the industry that had changed as I played EQ, SWG, and WoW for YEARS. But truth be told, I'm sure many of us didn't have the responsibilities we have today that we did not have 15 years ago (I was in high school when I started EQ). Nowadays I still read posts here, but I'm mostly playing Destiny because it's really easy to log in for an hour here and there, get shit done, and do everything else I HAVE to do just to live. Growing up sucks.

And while I cross my fingers for "this could turn it around for x mmo by SOE!", I know deep down even if it's the second coming of EQ I just wouldn't be able to stick around for too long because my girlfriend shoots daggers if I play destiny for like 45 min straight...
Trust me, its both.

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord

Tell your GF to chill man. Playing a game shouldn't make her freak out because you aren't doing what she says. If so, you may want a new gf.

So, why is Smed still employed? I've never liked that guy at all. I always thought he was a poor businessman for SOE and had no clue what the fanbase wanted and would be willing to spend lots of money on.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Tell your GF to chill man. Playing a game shouldn't make her freak out because you aren't doing what she says. If so, you may want a new gf.
I second this shit. You are a person. You have a (very very cheap) hobby. I mean, what I spend on video games in a month could easily be blown at the bar in one night with my wife and I. Just because you want to geek out for a few hours every once in a while? Shouldn't be a problem. Do you bitch when she goes to the mall and spends 3 hours deciding between the blue and slightly lighter blue nail polish?