Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I was talking strictly about Solo. And I thought y'all were too. I thought Last Jedi was pretty shitty and I do agree on that point. I just think it's unwarranted with Solo. Beyond the little girl rebel leader which I already hated on.

I stand by Solo matching the character.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Finally caught it. Was a 6/10 for me.

The best scene was simply Chewbacca sitting down as the co-pilot and them two kickin ass.

Lando was good. So was Woody. Dude playing Han Solo just didn't seem...Han Soloish enough. Like how on the Star Trek reboot The big three all seemed like their original characters.

One thing that bugging me, was that the movie was too damn dark! Even the train scene seemed a tad too dark. I had no idea what the fuck was happening during the gravity well scene. Maybe just my theater?

The young chick as the rebellion starter or whatever. Corny. Could that chick be any more...everything culturally? She literally could have been Irish, Black, Spanish, Scottish, Martian. 1st thing I thought was man where they find this chick, and she covers ALL the bases.

Sooooo. The Kessell run in 12 Parsecs? Because he cut the distance from 20 to 12 by taking a short cut? Still didn't explain one of the running errors in Star Wars. They could have made that a great ongoing joke...

I liked it. Would wait for video if you haven't seen it yet.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Caught a mid day showing with my 10 year old Nephew.I had low expectations going in and I was still a bit disappointed. He didn't seem thrilled either. Theater was far from full. I don't understand how Disney has been able to do so much damage to the Star Wars brand in less than 3 years. As bad as the prequels were, they were still Star Wars and they still felt special and got people excited. It feels like the life has been sucked out of Star Wars.

Easy...they are giving us too much Star Wars. Plus TLJ was so bad that it's hard to move past it. I thought Disney was doing an above average job. Especially with R1.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I was talking strictly about Solo. And I thought y'all were too. I thought Last Jedi was pretty shitty and I do agree on that point. I just think it's unwarranted with Solo. Beyond the little girl rebel leader which I already hated on.

I stand by Solo matching the character.

Ahh, yeah. I think wires got crossed, some people here just wont see this due to the sour taste of TLJ, or at least that's my reasoning. I think its fair to to be skeptical toward Solo given TLJ being bad, but I can see not slamming this movie for the ideological shit if there wasn't signs of it or it was a decent story. For me, its just the skepticism left over from TLJ, so I'm treating Solo the same as I do most movies--if the guys here all say its good, I'll go, otherwise I won't (Where as before a Star Wars movie was opening day regardless. But the combo of producing such a dog shit movie while clearly having objectives outside of good story telling just soured me on it.)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I would've loved to see Danny Pudi as Solo and Donald Glover as Lando, Alison Brie as Emilia. I think it'd be much more interesting.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I've seen it twice now, and I like it a lot. Flowed a lot smoother the second time, I admit that at the first viewing the last third after the Kessel Run seemed to lag a little bit. Theater was completely sold out both times, in a pretty large theater in OC, so did not experience the half full theaters many of you said you did.
Very enjoyable movie, clearly tons of stuff thrown in to please the longtime fans that consumed everything book/lore/toy wise they could growing up. There were dozens of tiny details that tied into previous SW legends/lore.
Highlight for me was the Enfys Nest showdown near the end on Savarine. First off I love the character designs of her whole team but her most of all. Very tribal. Felt like a little Mad Max meets SW. I loved the old west showdown feel, and the musical score for her crew was my favorite in the entire movie, with the reappearance of the asteroid field chase theme from ESB being used during the Kessel Run a very close second.
Most jarring thing for me was Paul Bettany. His acting was fine, but his voice is so tied to the Marvel universe for me that it threw me off both viewings. I think every other actor did a great job, new Han is totally fine, Donald Glover was fantastic as expected, and Joonas is really owning Chewie.
The young girl leading the rebellion thing though was pretty lame.
I understand your point, but she wasn't leading the whole rebellion, she was leading an isolated piece of the Rebellion as a whole, on her planet, precisely like the Ghost crew was doing on Lothal in Star Wars Rebels. I felt like they pretty clearly showed that this small crew was doing what they could on their planet, where "marauders had come and cut out the tongues of everyone" and Enfys had taken up the cause of her mother, with an eye toward procuring the means to further the larger Rebellion building in the rest of the galaxy.
Anyways, liked way way more of this than I even slightly disliked. I love that this one more than any others clearly tied in the animated Clone Wars and Rebels, especially with the big cameo near the end.

• 3Barf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I understand your point, but she wasn't leading the whole rebellion, she was leading an isolated piece of the Rebellion as a whole, on her planet, precisely like the Ghost crew was doing on Lothal in Star Wars Rebels. I felt like they pretty clearly showed that this small crew was doing what they could on their planet, where "marauders had come and cut out the tongues of everyone" and Enfys had taken up the cause of her mother, with an eye toward procuring the means to further the larger Rebellion building in the rest of the galaxy.
Anyways, liked way way more of this than I even slightly disliked. I love that this one more than any others clearly tied in the animated Clone Wars and Rebels, especially with the big cameo near the end.

I am pretty sure this takes place somewhere about 14-15 years before Episode 4. The Rebellion is just a bunch of random cells til about 2 years before the Battle of Yavin. So I agree with what you are saying here. If they make more Solo movies I think they will tell the story of how Maul loses his criminal empire. Which would flow into Rebels where he's just alone and looking for his revenge on Kenobi.

• 1Like

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
I am pretty sure this takes place somewhere about 14-15 years before Episode 4. The Rebellion is just a bunch of random cells til about 2 years before the Battle of Yavin. So I agree with what you are saying here. If they make more Solo movies I think they will tell the story of how Maul loses his criminal empire. Which would flow into Rebels where he's just alone and looking for his revenge on Kenobi.
Have you seen the numbers? There will be no more Solo movies.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
I'd highly recommend Den of Thieves starring Gerard Butler which came out on bluray/streaming/etc just a month or so ago, just saw it tonight and it was a great proper heist movie featuring men being men and lots of twists and loops in the overall heist. A little slow, and a bit overlong at 2h24m but you could tell the crew behind it loved The Heat and Usual Suspects and while they didn't have the chops to tell a story as good they at least tried, whereas Solo's heist part of the movie is really pretty sad and pitiful.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty good, and felt like it was both a much better Star Wars movie and a palette cleanser after Last Jedi. Most of my issues with the movie were with the third act, and I don't know who said it but "half of the Star Wars movies are now prequels based upon throw-away lines in the Original Trilogy".

The bad guys who are really good guys since the good guys are really bad guys. Having him be such a good guy removes/reduces the impact of his "turn" in A New Hope. I thought that they were going to work to make Han jaded and cynical in this movie which was a big source of my issues with the third act. I guess they are planning for sequels; they don't realize how much The Last Jedi split/shrank the fan base. Just like the issues in BvS showed up in Justice League box office, the Last Jedi's issues will hurt Solo.

For Solo, I really did enjoy this movie. Han and Chewie worked great, the tone of the movie really felt like Star Wars, I am normally not a huge fan of Ron Howard's direction, really but it was good in this case. The heists were not perfect, coaxium uber alles, but were serviceable for the movie. The narrative seemingly would have been better served as a one-shot, but it is obvious there are sequels planned; Jabba, Bobba Fett, Crimson Dawn and its leadership, etc. are all in the offing for the next one should they green light it.

It really is shocking how stark the difference is between the MCU and everyone else, in particular the DCEU and the Star Wars movies. Marvel makes it look easy and it obviously isn't. Also, the parallels between what's happening in the Marvel comics and the Star Wars movies: "Get Woke, Go Broke", even with the most popular brand in the history of cinema .

• 1Like

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good this movie looks like it will lose money a first for the franchise.

And Disney is underwater still they haven't made their initial investment of four billion dollars back that they spent to acquire franchise.

Someone going to get fired for this probably the writer who went and declared Lando a Pan Sexual about week before Han Solo released.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
Rumor is the movie did $26m on saturday which would put the 3 day weekend ~$85m and 4 day ~$102m which would be significantly below the expectations of $150m for the 4 day weekend. Rogue One did $155m in its 3 day opening weekend, TLJ did $220m.

Production budget was $300m and PA was probably another $200m so the movie has to make $600m ww to break even before streaming/VOD, it doesn't look like its gonna come even close to that.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nope they likely are at most at the halfway mark for making their initial four billion dollars back. With most of the money that being made on the The Force Awakens. Now their losing money on fourth movie.The initial four billion dollars is all up front cost. Then they have to make the movies at additional expense, promote the movies at additional expense, and then split the profits movies make with theaters.

So their two billion in the hole still and looking at future movies that at best may make a few hundred million in profit and at worse will lose money.

All this because Hollywood had to play political games with franchise.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
Nope they likely are at most at the halfway mark for making their initial four billion dollars back. With most of the money that being made on the The Force Awakens. Now their losing money on fourth movie.The initial four billion dollars is all up front cost. Then they have to make the movies at additional expense, promote the movies at additional expense, and then split the profits movies make with theaters.

So their two billion in the hole still and looking at future movies that at best may make a few hundred million in profit and at worse will lose money.

All this because Hollywood had to play political games with franchise.
Don't forget merchandise and theme parks in those profit figures.

• 3Like