Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Good this movie looks like it will lose money a first for the franchise.

And Disney is underwater still they haven't made their initial investment of four billion dollars back that they spent to acquire franchise.

Someone going to get fired for this probably the writer who went and declared Lando a Pan Sexual about week before Han Solo released.

No. They already have made the Lucas money back.

Solo I think will break even.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
With the amount of Force Awakens merch you could buy I figured they made their money back based on that.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah not sure what he's talking about. They were licensing for the Force Awakens in the hundreds of millions to billions.

• 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I bet the suits at Disney HQ are going to use the Solo box office numbers to justify making Episode 10 the gayest SW ever. TLJ was a "girl's movie" and Solo is a "boy's movie" and which one earned Disney more $$$ after all?

• 1Barf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's the difference between making "some" money versus a "crazy" amount of money. They literally want to Scrooge McDuck swim through money from this crap and people need to wise up and stop paying for it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This was a film that didnt need to be made. To be very honest, I would have been fine having a movie with Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton and the 4-armed dude. They were the best part of the film and it made me realize, I would enjoy a star wars movie that didnt try and cram a bunch of references to the original trilogy, fuck with previous characters...etc.

A standalone story or series with no connection but set in the SW Universe. Fire Kathleen Kennedy please.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
TL;DR = This movie was shit :mad:

I had to consciously tell myself "This character is Han Solo" instead of just unconsciously accepting that... that alone is enough to make the movie unpleasant but then you have: the action was meh, the female robot was god-awful as a character, the appearance of you-know-who from TPM defines the word contrived, the kessel-run wasn't impressive as I imagined it should have been, I felt no great chemistry between Han and Chewie or really any of the characters, the main villain was useless as a villain (Bettany's character... see I forgot his name already) and well... that last criticism is the entire movie in a nutshell: Forgettable.

Just watch a 10 minute video from the daily entertainment video-churners like Looper, WatchMojo etc about all the references and easter-eggs and save yourself some time.

Also to add, I think I agree with a vid I saw on YouTube a month or so back more than ever after seeing Solo; that for all the criticism Lucas received for the prequels, I think time has proven he IS the heart and soul of Star Wars, and always has been. He was the creative, unique voice to all of this, and all Disney can do now is ride his coattails into oblivion.

I hope the franchise can recover somehow because Star Wars is a national treasure :(

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This was a film that didnt need to be made. To be very honest, I would have been fine having a movie with Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton and the 4-armed dude. They were the best part of the film and it made me realize, I would enjoy a star wars movie that didnt try and cram a bunch of references to the original trilogy, fuck with previous characters...etc.

A standalone story or series with no connection but set in the SW Universe. Fire Kathleen Kennedy please.

To piggyback on you and Vanessa, there is so much story that could have been made but they are focusing on the money over the fans. This is the lesson Marvel has tried to show Hollywood and with all that money, experience, and options...they still can't make good movies. Build on the setting. Make interesting stories about the timelines. Focus on character building. There's 40+ books and Lucas if you need ideas. To make a Star Wars movie that is considered 'forgettable' by a huge fan? You've fucked up massively.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Estimated $83M three day and $101M four day... with a pretty decent chance it comes in below that. There's really no way to say this film isn't going to be a flop based on expectations and its budget.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
While I enjoyed the movie for the most part, it was still a pretty forgettable experience.

• 1Solidarity

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Saw it, not sure if I liked it, or if last jedi was just that bad that it lowered the bar that much. Worth a lazy afternoon netflix watch I'd say.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Bombs With $148M Global Debut

1527473270931.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

What would Miguex Miguex do with himself without references validating his fandom?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Have they made the $4billion back in Box Office profit? No.

This is not a problem. The big money for Star Wars has always been the licensing with its associated upfront payment and share of the proceeds. Their cut from the merchandise sold since Force Awakens has easily been worth the price of admission.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Deflecting blame is how a lot of shitty people in entertainment keep themselves employed. Thing is, the Mouse does not fuck around when it comes to the bottom line. It will kill even profitable things if they are underperforming. Kenedy might be unfireable, though. She can and will cause a giant SJW shitfest for them and probably has enough pound me too ammo to escape the consequences of her fuckups.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is what they get for making shit movies, every fucking year.
Imo, TLJ also killed this movie. I know many people, like me, who will not see Solo because there is no interest in SW anymore

• 7Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Disney has never really let me down. I guess they're trying to let their respective ships steer their own courses but if you think about most of Disney is highly and positively reviewed with a lot of confidence in each area. You can go down the list, Pixar, MCU, Disney Animation Studios, Disney Parks, Disney Cruiseline, etc. Each have a lot going for them and I can think of very few instances where Disney has let their customers down.

You could elaborate on bottom lines, growth, decisions, etc. but ultimately Disney is really good at making money and very rarely do they just bomb right out. The Star Wars universe feels like it's the weakest thing in their catalog and it's not like they don't have what it takes to be successful. It's in the decision making process. The lore is rich, fan base is solid, and it's not like Disney isn't backing this thing. They are really pumping a lot into this stream service/TV series not to mention opening two major park expansions that are all about Star Wars. Star Wars will be the anchor of Hollywood Studios so they can't sit back and watch the downward spiral. I think intervention is probably already happening with part 9.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users