Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Saw it yesterday. It's an evening showing, first day... the theater was barely half full (friend and I were slightly agog at that).

Non-spoilery review: it's meh. Well below Rogue One. Solo himself is ok, I think, but the rest is not that good. P3 notably is fairly stupid in "her" comic relief, compared to the absolutely insane funny of the Rogue One droid. Most of the various reversals are fairly obvious, and the "surprises" are all telegraphed. Qi'ra is just enough believable, but not much.

4/10 (because it's Star Wars), not going to even bother rewatching even a director cut.
I now laugh at the pan-sexual comments, since it's basically based on the fact that Lando loved only his mother and his droid, and flirts with about everyone. The old-couple bickering was a bit fun, as was the face of Daener... Qi'ra when doing the girl-girl talk.

The founding of the Rebellion is totally, abysmally stupid. Unbelievable and forced to the Nth degree.

WTF about Darth Maul. We're smack dab between EP3 and EP4, so why is Maul around? He's been killed - and replaced by Palpatine - since EP1?

And, of course, Han shot first at the end.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
re: your spoilers
Maul appears in Rebels, which takes place during the break between 3 and 4. He didn't die in 1, apparently, got some prosthetics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Just saw it. Not terrible, I didn't hate it like I did the Last Jedi but is just missing anything special about it. It's very forgettable and there's not much in it I would want to rewatch.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
re: your spoilers
Maul appears in Rebels, which takes place during the break between 3 and 4. He didn't die in 1, apparently, got some prosthetics.
Further addendum to the spoiler
Maul's survival was shown in Clone Wars, end of season 4 into season 5 but it was hinted at in season 3 (which aired Jan 2011). Clone Wars is still canon.

Merrith

Yeah, because it somehow became a craze among Breitbart retards and rednecks to hate on that movie. Doesn't mean shit.

I'm pretty liberal and that movie was shit. Had nothing to do with the hate it got from other sources, I've just seen the plot for the movie Speed before, and it's woefully shit set in a Star Wars movie. Not to mention all the other plot holes, flying Leia, and emo Luke that made no sense.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

and now I'm imagining Dennis Hopper in silver stormtrooper armor plus Keanu Reeves / Sandra Bullock crashing a ship into the laser brick while sliding out the back with a changing sand color trail. GDI Merr.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Saw it yesterday. It's an evening showing, first day... the theater was barely half full (friend and I were slightly agog at that).

Non-spoilery review: it's meh. Well below Rogue One. Solo himself is ok, I think, but the rest is not that good. P3 notably is fairly stupid in "her" comic relief, compared to the absolutely insane funny of the Rogue One droid. Most of the various reversals are fairly obvious, and the "surprises" are all telegraphed. Qi'ra is just enough believable, but not much.

4/10 (because it's Star Wars), not going to even bother rewatching even a director cut.
I now laugh at the pan-sexual comments, since it's basically based on the fact that Lando loved only his mother and his droid, and flirts with about everyone. The old-couple bickering was a bit fun, as was the face of Daener... Qi'ra when doing the girl-girl talk.

The founding of the Rebellion is totally, abysmally stupid. Unbelievable and forced to the Nth degree.

WTF about Darth Maul. We're smack dab between EP3 and EP4, so why is Maul around? He's been killed - and replaced by Palpatine - since EP1?

And, of course, Han shot first at the end.

Maul lives past ep 1 in canon via many sources, The Clone Wars included

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just saw it, started good but dragged on through the middle and the end

thought it was shaping up to be really gritty based on Hans army time

Stupid Droids Lives Matter droid was stupid.

Bringing back Darth Maul was stupid.

The diversity band lead by a 13 year old ginger mixed race brat forming the rebellion was uber gay

Han doing the decent thing and giving away the loot kind of weakens him going back in a New Hope

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The movie is good/very good/excellent

It had imperfections that say Rogue One didn't; but it also had fun in new ways and tried things that unlike Jedi, worked.

There were some dialogue kinks, especially in the beginning that should have been cut all together - but pretty much everything else was good

Millenium Falcon redesign was stupid - not spoiler because in commericial - it served no purpose other than to sell toys - this could have been redeemed with a better metamorphisis, but whatever falls within forgivable region.

SJW fears weren't really there - female droid was fine and fit the universe and was interesting to me

Prequel reference was good, if not heavy handed
Clone Wars/Rebels reference was easter egg and fine.

Again, with writing, Woody had some of my biggest annoyances. multiple times he used earth words that would have been better served with made up space jargon
I liked the wookies, did them justice after prequels

I liked Han - like once or twice he went screamy instead of cool; but he was good and I'd watch more with him. I appreciated all the returning character mannerisms

• 2Barf

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
Really enjoyed it. Probably more so than any Star Wars film that I can remember seeing in a theater. Weakest parts involved Harrelson. I'd totally watch more films with Crimson Dawn, New Han, or Lando.

• 1Barf

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Not going to spoil anything right now, but I liked it mostly because of all the references to EU stuff that had been turned into 'legends'. Can't even remember them all. I'll have to make a list next time I see it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else reminded of
the Firefly episode The Train Job?

• 4Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My cinema was also barely occupied. Based on that and the other anecdotes of empty screenings this one could struggle at the box office

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Childish nailed the Billy D voice.

Was a good movie, not great.

+1 for the prequel nod

• 1Barf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

• 3Worf
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back, a very average film 5/10. I sorta expected a massive trainwreck after all the behind the scenes stuff that went down, so I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it wasn't a very good or interesting movie. Han Solo has never been a favorite character of mine so I don't really care about his origin story and the movie didn't change anything about that. I don't honestly feel like I learned anything new about the character or the universe really.

The only two characters who had good chemistry together were Han and Lando, by themselves they were meh and every other actor in the movie was very meh so literally only 3 minutes of decent character scenes and only 1 imo great action scene near the end of the movie involving the Kessel Run. After an hour I'm already starting to forget pretty much everything about the movie. Khaleesi was not great, she wasn't terrible but a million different actresses I think would have been better and she and Solo were cringe bad on screen together.

The only good character in the movie was Chewbacca. Zero reason to really see this in theaters unless you LOVE TLJ, in that case you may like this movie I guess? I honestly think The Last Jedi may be a better movie than this simply because it had good action scenes and characters that changed whereas here it just very soul less, underwhelming and no vision whatesoever. I guess its sorta interesting they try to show different aspects of the Star Wars universe but I thought the Rogue One "Jedi temple" planet was a more interesting place than the 3 planets they sorta show in this movie but not really to any depth.

Regarding the ending sting kinda thing
Me and my buddy just couldn't understand the Darth Maul thing at all. Never seen clone wars so we didn't know he survived past episode 1 so we were so confused about the time line, did it take place now before episode 1? Thats impossible, since they showed storm troopers and the Empire.

Learning afterwards that Maul survives I guess explains that but then why the fuck does he care about some space gas and knows the name of all these smugglers and shit. It just was so bizarre and weird to see him at the end of the movie, felt like a really bad setup for Solo 2.

We were also entirely confused by the black chick with freckles, was she Woody's daughter with Maeve from Westworld? That was such a weird and bizarre character. SHE starts the rebellion? Please god, no.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Not sure what people expect. The problem I see is that for most people, 4 5 and 6 is what made Star Wars great but that was decades ago. Then we got fished with 1 2 and 3 and while they got a bit better as they went, the only thing that made them great was the atmosphere of Star Wars and the sounds bringing back nostalgia. Then we got hit with a modern 4 in 7 but SJW'd but we had the sights and sounds and it was ok. Rogue One actually had something to do with 4 and it was ok enough but then we had 8 which I hadn't seen but even the most liberal SJW neck beards I know are critics of it and now only 5 months later we are rolled out with pansexual backstories. Disney has officially Pirates of the Caribbean Star Wars. For me it even dulls the originals. Saturation is high and the stories are not unique or well written enough to be special. Just one giant pew pew womb womb heavy breathing space shitfest.

Whew.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Malakriss

Rogue One was the story of how they got the Death Star plans, which was interesting and a prime example of important events and battles that we would want to see in the universe. Solo and Kenobi movies on the other hand, who cares? Unless they're doing a major smuggler/bounty hunter event that Han happened to be a part of I could give jack shit about his origin story and forced retcons/integrations. Boba Fett might be an exception to that since we only got a piece of his way-backstory in the prequels and 90% of that movie SHOULD be new material (but let's be honest, with these dumbfucks at the helm we'll be lucky to hit 40%).

Media companies at least know to give people what they want yet studio execs seem to be literal retards thinking they will make bank off catering to the dumbest cross section of... I don't even know at this point?

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really enjoyed it. Probably more so than any Star Wars film that I can remember seeing in a theater. Weakest parts involved Harrelson. I'd totally watch more films with Crimson Dawn, New Han, or Lando.
His earth lines really bothered me and continue to do so.
Does "hell" even exist in Star Wars?
"Brandy"? I'd rather him have said something about blue milk

Han was surprisingly fun; I'd definitely watch him again