South Lake Tahoe

so, my family is going to South Lake Tahoe from March 8th to the 17th. We've been going almost every year but usually we go with a rather picky group of people so we get roped into doing the same stuff. This year they bailed so its me, my gf and my parents going as a group. I'm looking for suggestions of cool stuff to do with just the little lady and with the whole family.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
My family has a cabin down near Stateline. In the winter I ski-ski-ski and and the summer I am either chilling at the lake or mountain biking. Maybe throw in a little gambling and that is usually the sum total of my excitement for a trip down to the area.

Probably not terribly helpful for you, but that is what I do. Oh, you also might be able to do a booze-cruise on the lake, that could be fun.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Too cold on the lake to go on a boat unless you enjoy frigid temperatures. There's a great ski resort around there, though.
redface.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, unfortunately there isn't really a lot to do in Tahoe during those months unless you ski or gamble. It isn't like Vegas where you can go from show to show and be entertained all week, but you might catch one or two shows worth seeing. And when I say shows, you'd be lucky if it is something as exciting as the guy from Staind playing solo (he plays there all the fucking time it seems).

Or whorehouses, but I'm guessing the little lady won't be up for that.

I've been in Sacramento for over 25 years, so if there was something exciting to do 2 hours away I'd have done it by now, but every Tahoe trip during the winter usually involves skiing, drinking, and sitting around by the fire and relishing the fact that I'm not at work. Boring, I know, but there ain't shit else around there unless you drive to Reno, and then you're still going to wonder what to do.

yeah we're gonna ski. we like to hop around, kirkwood is always on the list. probably wont do squaw again since it was really shitty last year.

Booze cruise is something im gonna look into, thanks. also looking for a must stop resturaunt if you got any.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
As Kuriin said, it is going to be cold as fuck on a booze cruise. Unless it is all inside, but I don't know if they even have those kinds of boats up there. That's more of a summer thing.

I'm not really aware of any restaurants to recommend since we typically bring our own or just grab a buffet somewhere. I'm sure there are some great places, but hopefully someone else can steer you to those.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fire and Ice ... All you can eat Mongolian BBQ. All types of fresh meat, none of that freeze dried crap. And a little benni-Hanna type show as they cook it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Fire and Ice ... All you can eat Mongolian BBQ. All types of fresh meat, none of that freeze dried crap. And a little benni-Hanna type show as they cook it.
That's typically all Mongolian BBQ. But, thank you for letting me know...I fucking love Mongolian BBQ.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Solid suggestion on that Mongolian BBQ joint. I'll check it out when I go up there for St. Paddy's. Luckily, I'm staying in Stateline too!

fuck yeah, we went to fire and ice a few years back and for some reason i was the only one that liked it, so no one else from the usual group wanted to go back with me. thanks for reminding me, definetly gonna hit it up this time.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mongolian BBQ rules, had it once in DC and haven't really stumbled on one again since, but I'm not really trying either.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Do you guys not have Mongolian BBQs or something? I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen within a 10 mile radius of me, probably more. I'm genuinely curious, because it wouldn't even occur to me to mention one as somewhere special to eat unless it was really unique. Maybe it's common here and not other places though?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Not rare at all. I don't know of too many types of food that are unavailable in SF. Except chicken wings and pizza. We have some terrible pizza places here.

SheepDog_sl

shitlord
Lake Tahoe Pizza Co. in South lake has phenomenal pizza. The place is small but the food cant be beat.

I'd also recommend Ernie's cafe but they've been hit or miss since the location change.

Free Bird is an amazing little cafe that has good coffee and its locally ran. Check them out if you're into that sort of thing.

South Lake isn't bad in the winter/spring, its just a completely different set of things to do than if you were there during the summer. I've been going there my whole life.