South Park Stick of Truth

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Seems to be a general consensus from people who have played the leaked versions that the game is around 10-15 hours, depending on how many side missions you do.

Apparently some guy on twitch did most of the game including sidequests (normal) in 13 hours.

It is understandable. Watched someone else stream it last night, and the way the quests are set up and the speed it takes to complete most of them, there would have to be a thousand or more sidequests for the time to start reaching 50+ hours.

Progression seems fairly fast, and combat usually never goes beyond 2 rounds unless it is a boss. PP restores at every fight, so the person I watched play usually just used the best pp abilities in every fight, oneshotting one mob at a time.

Watched the stream for an hour. Mostly he did sidequests. Many of them were quite funny, and nearly every one containing small eastereggs from South Park. He did some main quest things in the end, and it escalated something that appeared to be a fairly small problem in a way only South Park can.

Saw nothing that made me want to wait on buying it, but it is the rpg quest hub king it seems. You have one town and tons of quests. That is it. Each quest being little more than a way to show a 2-3 minute segment of a South Park character to you. Great for fans who want to experience more South Park, but as a "game" it seems fairly simplistic.

A few posts ago there was a link to an interview with Stone, and he explains that they know how to do 22 minutes. They know what 2-3 minute segments need to have to be funny. This seems to be the way they have designed the game as well. One story with tons of little 2-3 minute segments/side quests. But with that format, and the speed of combat, it is completely unrealistic to build a 50+ hour game even with introducing most of the characters that has ever been on south park.

PS: Boooo to them releasing it on Friday here not tomorrow. Dumb choice. So many people pirate things because of different release dates. Gamers are not the most patient people, would think publishers know this by now.
Well that seals the deal for me, will wait for a sale.

When will RPG developers realize we don't want 15 hour games?

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm not sure what people want anymore. 15 hour games sound perfect to me, because then I can replay the game once or twice and it won't be a chore to do. I used to love the 50+ hour marathon games, but as I get older I'd just prefer a 10+ hour game that is good the entire way through and the newer generation doesn't have the patience for the RPGs of old.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone know there will be difficulty settings?

I'm a little disappointed this game won't be available at midnight.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I used to love the 50+ hour marathon games, but as I get older I'd just prefer a 10+ hour game that is good the entire way through
Yeah, I think a solid 20-25 is perfect. Nowadays, anymore than that and it's usually bogged down in side-quest tedium.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I think a solid 20-25 is perfect. Nowadays, anymore than that and it's usually bogged down in side-quest tedium.
Besides even the "long games" like Skyrim if you're efficient can be done pretty quickly - outside of the trophies that involved grinding (like max level and the dragon that only spawns at max level) for Skyrim I had the main quest and all the primary sidequests and however many you needed of the miniquests to trophy within 25-30 hrs and that's considered to be a "big game" - sure there were some nooks and crannies I may have missed here and there - but so much of it was 10 monsters and 1 unique item in a cave.

Shorter but everything handcrafted >>> than a ton of content that's barely touched by a human.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well that seals the deal for me, will wait for a sale.

When will RPG developers realize we don't want 15 hour games?
15 hours is about the ideal RPG length for me, discounting obscure side quests and grinding for things. Would even be happy with slightly shorter. And this coming from someone who got into gaming with just RPGs for a long time.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There's no such thing as "too long" as long as you're enjoying yourself the whole way through.
The problem is, at some point, you have to get to a resolution. Even if the story is engaging, shit can't drone on for 60+ hours without becoming repetitious at some point. Inevitably, it becomes, "Enough with the fucking sidequests already!", or, "Is this plot ever going to go anywhere?!". I've yet to play a game touting "60+ hours of gameplay!" that didn't become tedious at some point. They always turn into a huge grindfest(usually the case with JRPGs), or have gigantic sidequest bloat(Kingdoms of Amalur). Define your characters, develop a coherent plot, engaging gameplay, some sidequests to fill a few lore holes, and get out. There's no need to drone on and on with convoluted, "smartest man in the room" plots, throwaway characters, and pointless sidequests. Sure, it tacks on hours of "gameplay", but very little of it is fun or useful.

This is why the Mass Effect games were so perfect(aside from the horrid ending of 3)in my eyes. They were the perfect blend of "long", without feeling "too long".

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
FF7 was easily 40+ hours (took me around 52 to complete first time) and I enjoyed the entire game. But we can't have those things anymore.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
$45.00 @ GMG. Recieve code instantly. Can start pre-loading on steam immediately.

Q0EYT-F6W0V-8PB3D 25% off

Out in the Americas. Steam is decrypting.
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone that pre-ordered with Direct2Play receive their key yet?
I'm curious about this as well. I used GMG instead because I didn't know anyone who had used D2P before but I'm curious to see how it turned out for anyone.

Also when do you get the preorder dlc content? I only had enough time last night to get my first weapon but should I have had it by then?