Space Force

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The characters they established were pretty good (aside from the off the rails stuff in the last episode), so if they could just get some better comedy writers in there they could really turn it around. I'm baffled at how generally unfunny most of the show is and then all the sudden they have something really great, like the board that said "Ideas" and "Great Ideas".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah the second episode is definitely better than the first. Still not that funny but a few moments. Its a much better show to watch while cleaning or whatever

that should be the tag line for the show "Its not too horrible if you are only half paying attention to Space Force! Feel free to talk or use your phone while watching!"

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I couldnt finish the 1st episode. It just wasn't funny. Like at all.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

So, I am super MAGA, and while I /personally/ disliked the few jabs at current POTUS- I will admit they are fairly simple and mostly mundane ... but know I only make it through 2.4 episodes before I saw it was late and I should get to bed...

It is... ehhh... I may care to turn it on sometime, but not as general background because of language with kids...so that means it is only a thing I will watch during the small no-kids window of time...and honestly there is a ton more I would rather watch with that time and rather fall asleep mindlessly to.

The entire breadth of casting is all lost to this show...

It 98% wants to be a "Best in show" straight man comedy... but breaks that entire thing with the 2% and of that 2% only 25% of it is actually funny.

I laughed out loud once, and I now cannot recall what for. I was fairly entertained throughout.

The main character had an odd shift from ep1 to 2... he is presented as a competent person, but then chooses "the monkey" route, right after the success and proper leadership of holding the launch... its just harsh... perhaps this is an overall encompassing dig at leaders in general that they are just dumb... the 4-star round table does a good enough job at that... the "bomb" suggestion tie in was fine...but..merh

The only thing I kinda care about, how the wife got to her 1 year later situation... daughter...who cares, it will be typical highschool daughter situation bull.

So toss it in a spoiler if they answer it and save me viewing time... ;-)

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It was worth watching all 10 episodes just to see he's using a blackberry keyone. That's my phone and I'd wager it was already obsolete when they filmed the show. The Key2 was released in 2018.

It wasn't all that funny but it wasn't terrible. I will not be sad if it is canceled. But by the same token if it's not I will watch to see what happens next. Woulda been much funnier if the response to the chinks running over the flag was to make a meme about chinese drivers. But that wouldn't have allowed the drama to unfold.

To answer Xadion's question, they never tell us, but she's in for 40-60 years and it's apparently minimum security.

There wasn't enough chimpstranaught. In RL I'm sure the chinks would have eaten him immediately, but we all know that won't happen here.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Tried to go in with an open mind...And I can say, its not any Liberal bullshit that killed this, its just not funny.

Fails to be a drama, fails to be a comedy. Its right in that tiny crossover point where its horrible at both. The issue seems to be 100% the writers, too.

yeah same here. didnt have any problems with the right/left writing, its just not funny. it tries to be funny and also emotionally poignant every 3 minutes and it doesnt work

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
That's not a minimum security prison. The writers specifically said they didn't say what she's in for, but the fact that POTUS controlled whether or not he could see his wife for a conjugal visit makes me think she flipped out and attacked the President or something, probably after getting stationed with Space Force instead of Air Force.

Siliconemelons

It was worth watching all 10 episodes just to see he's using a blackberry keyone. That's my phone and I'd wager it was already obsolete when they filmed the show. The Key2 was released in 2018.

It wasn't all that funny but it wasn't terrible. I will not be sad if it is canceled. But by the same token if it's not I will watch to see what happens next. Woulda been much funnier if the response to the chinks running over the flag was to make a meme about chinese drivers. But that wouldn't have allowed the drama to unfold.

To answer Xadion's question, they never tell us, but she's in for 40-60 years and it's apparently minimum security.

There wasn't enough chimpstranaught. In RL I'm sure the chinks would have eaten him immediately, but we all know that won't happen here.

Yeah I noticed the KeyOne also, as that's the very phone I am using to type this post... fk virtual keyboards... sadly a key2 seems to be the only advancement currently, and there is no good Verizon activation path for one...and I really don't want to bother with a key2le

Last Man Standing - Tim Allen uses a keyone/key2 on off (you can tell what episodes are filmed out of air order) but Allen has always been a BlackBerry advocate.

I am sure it's appearance in SpaceForce is some sort of understated "he's lame" joke.

And Damn 40 years? Lol what did she do...

Maybe will do an episode tonight...maybe not...

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I noticed the KeyOne also, as that's the very phone I am using to type this post... fk virtual keyboards... sadly a key2 seems to be the only advancement currently, and there is no good Verizon activation path for one...and I really don't want to bother with a key2le

Last Man Standing - Tim Allen uses a keyone/key2 on off (you can tell what episodes are filmed out of air order) but Allen has always been a BlackBerry advocate.

I am sure it's appearance in SpaceForce is some sort of understated "he's lame" joke.

And Damn 40 years? Lol what did she do...

Maybe will do an episode tonight...maybe not...

I agree, fuck virtual keyboards.

Key2 works on verizon, you just tell them you have a key2 LTE and it will work. But blackberry is officially out of business now. No more keys. I bought a unihertz titan for$339. If you are an old school blackberry fan you might like it. It is inspired by the curve I think. It's an adjustment going from a key to this because the alt key and numbers are on the right side. But the fucking thing is s tank.

As for physical keyboards, there's also a slider that got me all hard but it costs $800. f(x)tec pro.

fxtec-pro1-landscape-cropped.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
That's not a minimum security prison. The writers specifically said they didn't say what she's in for, but the fact that POTUS controlled whether or not he could see his wife for a conjugal visit makes me think she flipped out and attacked the President or something, probably after getting stationed with Space Force instead of Air Force.

I don't know prisons. I based the minimum security guess on 4 things.

1. Conjugal visits. I've always though that only minimum security federal prisons have conjugal visits. Club Fed.
2. One fence between the prisoners in the yard and free people and people can approach the fence from both sides.
3. It's a spoiler so I won't say it, but if you watched the end of the last episode I think you know what this one is.
4. She apparently runs the prison with an exclusive book club. These don't seem like hardened criminals.

I thought the president controlling conjugal visits was just because he went through the president to get it in the first place instead of the normal channels. Do victims of crimes always get to control the perp's conjugal visits?

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't know prisons. I based the minimum security guess on 4 things.

1. Conjugal visits. I've always though that only minimum security federal prisons have conjugal visits. Club Fed.
2. One fence between the prisoners in the yard and free people and people can approach the fence from both sides.
3. It's a spoiler so I won't say it, but if you watched the end of the last episode I think you know what this one is.
4. She apparently runs the prison with an exclusive book club. These don't seem like hardened criminals.

I thought the president controlling conjugal visits was just because he went through the president to get it in the first place instead of the normal channels. Do victims of crimes always get to control the perp's conjugal visits?

She's got 40-60 years in a federal prison. Don't think their are many crimes that carry that penalty at the Federal level. Some website I read mentioned the two most likely were piracy (re: hijacking a plane) and kidnapping.

spronk

FPS noob
federal prisons don't allow conjugal visits so she's in a state prison in theory, but the show is really, really terrible about being concerned with realism so i doubt any of it really fits together.

I finished the season today, the first episode is definitely the absolute worst which I guess kinda continues the tradition - The Office, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec all had awful first episodes (and even first seasons maybe) but got better. The show isn't great, and it really only works as background watch, but it was ok. I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone but maybe season 2 will get better.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Wish I would have read this thread before starting to watch this show, because the consensus here seems right again and I would have avoided. But stupid me I suggested we check it out, and my less-discerning other-half really likes Steve Carrel and thinks this show is 'funny enough'. But really with the budget, production value, great sets, solid special effects, and all-star cast, it's amazing how boring and uneven this show is a few episodes in.

Some huge names in the industry putting their full weight and gravitas into a show where jokes and performances and premises fall flat for 15 straight minute straight before finally getting a chuckle from some silly shit the Lonely Island would have written circa 2002, but without all the seriousness and I dunno, effort to be relevant? It's like it's trying really hard to be relevant, but that makes it feel awkward and self-concious. It would almost be endearing if it felt intentional, but instead the funny parts almost feel like accidents.

It's quickly becoming a show with so many scenes so bad I laugh at it on a meta level, which works too I guess, but is disappointing.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The guy who plays Carell’s secretary is absolutely hilarious and steals every scene he’s in. I haven’t finished the show yet but it’s 100% worth it for the war games episode where the guy does the Mola Ram impression from Temple of Doom.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
season 1 wasn't funny sadly

It had like three funny moments! Of which I can only remember "it's good to be black on the moon" which I can't remember if it was actually funny or just the only thing I remember.

Very disappointing show, but maybe they learned a bunch and it's about to get good.