Sports Entertainment

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
AEW is such carny outlaw shit jesus christ

Did Mick Foley teach these fuckers nothing? That spot is as bad as the Mankind Cell bumps. And darby has done that a few times.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

Did Mick Foley teach these fuckers nothing? That spot is as bad as the Mankind Cell bumps. And darby has done that a few times.

Yeah I don't get the attraction to this sorta of thing anymore and Death Matches to me are strait up dumb at this point. It's their bodies I guess but I wont watch someone shred themselves anymore.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Hey at least it was the finish to the match right? Don't tell me he got back up lmao.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Hey at least it was the finish to the match right? Don't tell me he got back up lmao.

Not only did he get up less than 5 minutes later, He then finished the match by hitting his finisher off the top rope before Sting won with a submission.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not only did he get up less than 5 minutes later, He then finished the match by hitting his finisher off the top rope before Sting won with a submission.
144a4-16672757898599-1920.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I wanted to like AEW so bad. I watched it weekly in the first year but covid really took the wind out of their sails. The roster was pretty shit, filled with Vanilla Midgets and shitty indyriffic dorks with no charisma or national appeal. IE SCU, Kip Sabian, Brittish Havoc sex pest, etc. And the women were shit.

Its just become "dream matches" and fucking high spot spam and for every fun moment there is an hour of shit TV. You can just watch clips on twitter and see all the important parts.

Im still baffled how they could see Sammy G, Darby, and Jungle boy as "pillars". All three are spot monkey tiny dorks who I couldnt care less about. And somehow the ruined Wardlow.

Fucking sad, wanted so much more for the company. Thery really peaked around the Hangman Dark Order Elite programs - been downhill since.

I get that Darby is a stunt devil and his gimmick is sort of goth Foley, but his stupid cut off jean shorts are so lame, and a spot like that should have written him out of the match and more likely TV for awhile. How can you EVER run an injury angle in this company now?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Darby wants to die wrestling and tony kuck is gonna let him do it lol

All for a spot no one will remember in a year, overshadowed by Stings retirement.

The glass realy didnt add much, you think they would avoid glass after it handed CM Punk back to the WWE

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I wanted to like AEW so bad. I watched it weekly in the first year but covid really took the wind out of their sails. The roster was pretty shit, filled with Vanilla Midgets and shitty indyriffic dorks with no charisma or national appeal. IE SCU, Kip Sabian, Brittish Havoc sex pest, etc. And the women were shit.

Its just become "dream matches" and fucking high spot spam and for every fun moment there is an hour of shit TV. You can just watch clips on twitter and see all the important parts.

Im still baffled how they could see Sammy G, Darby, and Jungle boy as "pillars". All three are spot monkey tiny dorks who I couldnt care less about. And somehow the ruined Wardlow.

Fucking sad, wanted so much more for the company. Thery really peaked around the Hangman Dark Order Elite programs - been downhill since.

I get that Darby is a stunt devil and his gimmick is sort of goth Foley, but his stupid cut off jean shorts are so lame, and a spot like that should have written him out of the match and more likely TV for awhile. How can you EVER run an injury angle in this company now?

For awhile there were two reasons for me to watch. FTR and MJF/Adam Cole stuff (I do really like House of Black tho)

FTR I think will head back to WWE when they can, same with Black and Buddy and MJF sadly, probably, resigned for however long.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I just don’t see MJF making it in the WWE. Even if it’s not the land of giants anymore, he’s too small, he couldn’t be edgy enough as a heel, and he couldn’t be silly enough as a face in their environment. AEW is perfect for him.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
That’s a wild take sir. I couldn’t disagree more.

Hes talented, so maybe he can make it work. But its kind of the same reason Cody didnt work in AEW and now is the face of American Professional wrestling. What makes MJF great is the freedom to do what he is doing, he wont fit in the WWE atmosphere. Where Cody is built for that programming and product.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Funny thing is that they have/had a bunch of big names you'd want to see in dream matches, but they save them for PPV main events that never come due to the glacial and stubborn storytelling.

How many Cody/Andrade dream marches were squandered? How many Kenny Omega dream matches?

Instead it's some RoH or NJPW guy which is fine... if they ever explained who these people are.

lower case g

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wanted to like AEW so bad.
I agree. Maybe I'm just old school, but I just couldn't get in to the AEW style. I think a finisher should finish. Other than the one winged angel, they don't in AEW. Of course, WWE is pretty bad about that too. I can't buy someone kicking out of 3 pile drivers, 2 Canadian destroyers, and their opponents finisher 4 times, only to be beat by "the most devastating move in all of sports entertainment". That doesn't make a guy look strong to me. Kicking out of a finisher has it's place, but should be reserved for something like the end of a year long feud. When it happens multiple times in every match, it just looks dumb.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree. Maybe I'm just old school, but I just couldn't get in to the AEW style. I think a finisher should finish. Other than the one winged angel, they don't in AEW. Of course, WWE is pretty bad about that too. I can't buy someone kicking out of 3 pile drivers, 2 Canadian destroyers, and their opponents finisher 4 times, only to be beat by "the most devastating move in all of sports entertainment". That doesn't make a guy look strong to me. Kicking out of a finisher has it's place, but should be reserved for something like the end of a year long feud. When it happens multiple times in every match, it just looks dumb.
Finishers make no sense to me.

Matches have lots of near falls which we know are not the finish because the finishing move wasn't used, it's so predictable it's self defeating.

Then there are so many wrestlers that most finishers are just normal moves for other wrestlers. Those which aren't commonly used are either so slow and cumbersome as to not be believable, or a serious injury risk.

So as a general rule I think finishers should be used 20% of the time and work 80% of the time. So you only see them in 1/5 matches, maybe to blow off a feud, and they are only kicked out of in 1/20 matches when you have your really big feud or big PPV. Obviously each wrestler would have different stats for variety.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The finisher thing has been an issue for years, most wrestlers just aren't smart enough to refuse to let their finisher get watered down by shitty writing. Of still active wrestlers I wanna say Baron Corbin has the most protected finisher.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Corbin has the most protected finisher since the Dudleys, who went like 20 years no kick out

also Scott Hall refused to do the razors edge if he wasn’t getting the pin. If he was losing he would always structure around that. Loved that about him.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Say what you want about Kenny Omega, but the One Winged Angel is pretty protected.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Say what you want about Kenny Omega, but the One Winged Angel is pretty protected.
That's one of the few that makes sense.

It's cumbersome but the opponent is always exhausted when it's used, then the move itself looks brutal.

Cross Rhodes is the opposite where it's cumbersome but he'll use it on fresh people in promos all of the time and they still cooperate, then the move looks like they just did a safe tumble.