Sports Entertainment

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
So Roman Reigns is going to be Stone Cold V2 where he fueds with the entire corporate management? This can work. Ambrose is the IC champ. Seth will be back next year.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, except that everyone loved Stone Cold. Stone Cold had mic skills. He could do more with the word "What?" than Roman Reigns has ever done in his career up to this point. Then again, I don't really expect much coming from the guy whose lead-in threat to Sheamus ahead of TLC was "I got three words for you: Tables, Ladders, and Chairs". But, hey, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Right now, though, I just don't Believe That.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
Yeah, except that everyone loved Stone Cold. Stone Cold had mic skills. He could do more with the word "What?" than Roman Reigns has ever done in his career up to this point. Then again, I don't really expect much coming from the guy whose lead-in threat to Sheamus ahead of TLC was "I got three words for you: Tables, Ladders, and Chairs". But, hey, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Right now, though, I just don't Believe That.
Are you new to WWE? Almost EVERYONE has to read whats wrote for them by creative. Very few guys on the roster have control of their own promos and speaking segments. That being said, Roman isnt the best on the mic but he isnt nearly as bad as the writers make him look far to often.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Are you new to WWE? Almost EVERYONE has to read whats wrote for them by creative. Very few guys on the roster have control of their own promos and speaking segments. That being said, Roman isnt the best on the mic but he isnt nearly as bad as the writers make him look far to often.
I sometimes wonder if this isn't the issue. Wrestlers used to have a lot more creative control and when they didn't get it they fought over it. I wonder if this kind of forced them to actualize their characters. Roman Reigns being forced into a roll is very noticeable here and it's very off-putting.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
I sometimes wonder if this isn't the issue. Wrestlers used to have a lot more creative control and when they didn't get it they fought over it. I wonder if this kind of forced them to actualize their characters. Roman Reigns being forced into a roll is very noticeable here and it's very off-putting.
Yeah thats certainly the deal. It's not just him, but with him being the guy they wanna push right now, it really isnt helping. They had to do a years worth of work to get to this point, when in reality had they done it the right way from the beginning it wouldnt have been so hard.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Makes sense. His back and forth with Shamus at the end of the Raw before the TLC and with Vince this Raw was much more free flowing. It's as though they did let the shackles go and let him talk freely. Or it could be the exact opposite and he can't talk worth of shit and the creative was feeding him lines the last two weeks.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
The reaction to Reigns last night was ridiculous...the "smarks" are just as easily influenced as everyone else. Have him beat up HHH, get slapped by Stephanie, then superman punch Vince and all of a sudden everyone loves him.

So Lesnar wins the Rumble and we get Roman/Lesnar at WrestleMania again?

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
The reaction to Reigns last night was ridiculous...the "smarks" are just as easily influenced as everyone else. Have him beat up HHH, get slapped by Stephanie, then superman punch Vince and all of a sudden everyone loves him.

Roman/Lesnar doesnt sound to far fetched, and to be fair it... it really was a good match last year. To be honest, Im guessing it will either be reigns/cena or reigns/lesnar -- simply because of how depleted that roster is right now of "over" guys. The few that could be in the main even spot are injured (cesaro, rollins etc), So Im not sure how much real choice they have aside from those two matches. My thing with Lesnar is that what good what it do for him to get the belt again? His build up to his latest run was perfect and made sense, another one I dont think would so much..but Cena doesnt need the belt at this point in his career again either (altho we know he will get it, even if briefly so he can pass rick flair).

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I was trying to think of a main event that I wouldn't hate...I just have this fear that the first WrestleMania I'm going to see in-person will be a dud with all the injuries. Even if they're old and the spots would be iffy, I was secretly hoping for Sting/'Taker just so I could say I was there, but then Sting got hurt, so...I don't know. I'm just hoping Rock comes back or something to make it a huge event.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
If they are continuing to build him up he has to face someone the fans are against. He has like 3 ppvs before mania that he has to defend. So who could he legitimately face and not get booed out of the building? ADR? Hell at this point Rusev would get a bigger pop and support than him.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No, I'm not new here. Even if you're handed a steaming pile of shit, if you have charisma, you can usually make it work by feeling out the crowd. Reigns is just a step or two above Stephen Hawking on the mic sometimes. If he were any less animated, he could be replaced by Michael Cole's fucking laptop.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
If they are continuing to build him up he has to face someone the fans are against. He has like 3 ppvs before mania that he has to defend. So who could he legitimately face and not get booed out of the building? ADR? Hell at this point Rusev would get a bigger pop and support than him.
It's hard because we're in this zone where an entertaining heel gets cheered. The people that get booed are because they're annoying. Sure, you have the audience that will always cheer the good guys and boo the bad guys, but they're being outnumbered more and more. So corporate makes the heels annoying to get the boos. Want me to start booing Rusev and Lana? Then turn them into a love-sick couple that loses matches because he's worried she twisted an ankle instead of an unstoppable brute with an ice queen controlling him. I'm booing because you've made the character boring, not because it's an entertaining heel.

I loved to hate William Regal when I was a kid...I'd boo the hell out of him, but now as an adult I respect that type of performance, so I applaud it. For some reason the WWE can't tell the difference between a good heel pop and booing Eva Marie because she's horrible and makes me want to fast forward.

sticktastic_sl

shitlord
It's hard because we're in this zone where an entertaining heel gets cheered. The people that get booed are because they're annoying. Sure, you have the audience that will always cheer the good guys and boo the bad guys, but they're being outnumbered more and more. So corporate makes the heels annoying to get the boos. Want me to start booing Rusev and Lana? Then turn them into a love-sick couple that loses matches because he's worried she twisted an ankle instead of an unstoppable brute with an ice queen controlling him. I'm booing because you've made the character boring, not because it's an entertaining heel.

I loved to hate William Regal when I was a kid...I'd boo the hell out of him, but now as an adult I respect that type of performance, so I applaud it. For some reason the WWE can't tell the difference between a good heel pop and booing Eva Marie because she's horrible and makes me want to fast forward.
Yeah, Regal is a great example of someone who knew how to play to their gimmick -- regardless of whatever gimmick he was currently in.

The entire Rusev thing is mind blowing to me - they booked him so so strong, only to feed him to Cena for like 3 straight PPV's and then poof noone gave a shit anymore, why cena? It's those type of decisions that I just do not understand from creative, why not have him have a awesome 3 PPV stint against another up and coming face like cesaro? Get them both over in their proper heel/face roles and then you now have two more guys that can eventually get over once they get to main event status. The continual burial of talent that goes on in this company on the main roster is fucking amazing. They have so much more talent than they have ever had and I sometimes swear to god they are fucking it up on purpose the decisions are so bad. They are however hiring someone to keep "tabs" on everything going on outside of wwe.com tho - I find that interesting, and hopefully it leads to better writing. I realize the IWC can be a POS mob group at times, but there are some legit concerns and points that are made and I think if they get the right guy reading/monitoring the pulse of whats going on it could be used for great things going forward.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>

I dunno, I've been hearing rumblings of an Owens/Lesnar feud in the works.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No, I'm not new here. Even if you're handed a steaming pile of shit, if you have charisma, you can usually make it work by feeling out the crowd. Reigns is just a step or two above Stephen Hawking on the mic sometimes. If he were any less animated, he could be replaced by Michael Cole's fucking laptop.
I don't get your issue. There are ways around it and they can make it work. Lesnar cant talk for shit on the mic either and they made it work with Paul talking for him. There's ways around it, they'll either continue working with him or go another route.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, Regal is a great example of someone who knew how to play to their gimmick -- regardless of whatever gimmick he was currently in.

The entire Rusev thing is mind blowing to me - they booked him so so strong, only to feed him to Cena for like 3 straight PPV's and then poof noone gave a shit anymore,why cena?
Why would they feud him against their biggest draw?

Rusev had no one but himself to blame for his push getting squashed. He shouldn't have got himself into hot water.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I don't get your issue. There are ways around it and they can make it work. Lesnar cant talk for shit on the mic either and they made it work with Paul talking for him. There's ways around it, they'll either continue working with him or go another route.
You're absolutely right; there are ways around it. So, let's see them make it work. That's all I'm saying. They know that there's that something-something missing from the status quo. Maybe a title run is what Reigns needs to flesh out his character a bit. Who knows.

Right now, whenever he picks up the mic, I'm reminded that Rollins was always the better showman. That's my issue, if you will.