Spring 2014 Anime Thread

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So I finished watching Gundam Build Fighters last night. I really enjoyed the series, but I didn't like the way it ended. Yes, it was neat that the "game table" expanded to the size of a stadium, but then it left a major inconsistency. The reason the game tables worked is because they were powered by this refillable "particle" thing. The particles were made from a special crystal, which was destroyed in the finale.

With that in mind, wouldn't all of the game tables no longer work after that? I mean, not right away, but as soon as they've used up their gas tank of particles, then it's completely over.

Oh well, maybe season 2 will answer that question.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
So I finished watching Gundam Build Fighters last night. I really enjoyed the series, but I didn't like the way it ended. Yes, it was neat that the "game table" expanded to the size of a stadium, but then it left a major inconsistency. The reason the game tables worked is because they were powered by this refillable "particle" thing. The particles were made from a special crystal, which was destroyed in the finale.

With that in mind, wouldn't all of the game tables no longer work after that? I mean, not right away, but as soon as they've used up their gas tank of particles, then it's completely over.

Oh well, maybe season 2 will answer that question.
In the ending scene you see samurai boy and sore loser girl in the ISS. They managed to recreate the particle effect allowing Gundam battles again and season two makes me happy. I love seeing all forms of gundams fighting one another.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you guys sounded off on gundam build fighters, i wanted to try it, sounded like gundam and angelic layer, i gave up after 5 eps, since it's the strike can someone just tell me before i force myself to finish the series

if the kid eventually gets to upgrade to freedom, and also since his friend is some red guy he gets justice? and does sazabi make an appearance? that's the only mech i care about (i have MG of it, but it really should be PG since it's so damn big)

guess i just can't watch gundam since unicorn 7 came out and that shit was... shit.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you guys sounded off on gundam build fighters, i wanted to try it, sounded like gundam and angelic layer, i gave up after 5 eps, since it's the strike can someone just tell me before i force myself to finish the series

if the kid eventually gets to upgrade to freedom, and also since his friend is some red guy he gets justice? and does sazabi make an appearance? that's the only mech i care about (i have MG of it, but it really should be PG since it's so damn big)

guess i just can't watch gundam since unicorn 7 came out and that shit was... shit.
Wait, you didn't like Gundam Unicorn 7?! That shit was amazing. The first battle was one of the best battles in the history of Gundam.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

The Gundam Strike is the plastic model the 2 main characters use most frequently in this series. The reason that's what they use is it's the "favorite model" of the one that actually builds them. As opposed to the other guy that just fights them. Over the course of the show, the lead duo end up using 3, possibly 4 different Gundams, but they're typically only used for an episode or two. It's the Strike gundam a good 85% of the time.
As far as upgrading to Freedom, he doesn't. But he ends up building better weapons and accessories for the Strike that make it really kick ass. Some of the other people in the show use other Gundams that you'll be familiar with.

I really wish that someone ended up using the Epyon though. I loved that thing in Gundam Wing. Next up, the Sazabi. I don't really know. There are a bunch of different Gundams in play over the course of the show, but most aren't painted the same color as the original animes, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they are. There's just a familiarity to them.

It's worth watching this though. The series was a lot of fun.

You should see the giant Gundam statue that's in Japan. Here's a pic I took of it my last trip to Japan. (The statue also makes an appearance in this anime).
syLyYKN.jpg

It was 53 feet tall and fucking awesome. It's outside of a shopping mall in Tokyo.

Every 30 minutes it "activates" for a 5 minute show where eyes light up, it releases steam from the back jets, and the head moves. Then there's also this giant anime-like narrative that happens through the sound system. It was really neat.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
/yawn @ Black Bullet

Really? Why were they even there at the time? All of them?

Do the math, guys.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well duh, the kids were there with no teacher? Hrmm, wonder why the old man is still alive... doesn't really take away from the story. There are a lot of good stories where you know what happened, the point isn't the twist it's how the characters react and the aftermath. Full Metal Alchemist is the perfect example.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Always wondered, as a complete anime novice, is there an anime like the Animatrix Second Renaissance short stories? Something with really gritty, realistic with perpetual war themes is what I'm looking for, the money shot would be non mecha space opera.
Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Go and watch itright now. It's pretty much the exact opposite of "short stories" but it's genuinely great sci-fi. NB: That's not just "great sci-fianime" but great sci-fi in general.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
My friend stat me down to watch Attack on Titan and I enjoyed that a lot, lots of graphic character deaths, bleak outlook, dangerous world, even tho he explained it's basically a mecha show anyways, he tried to get me to watch some Mobile Suit Gundam anime and I thought it was stupid.

Will try watching Monster and Akira, Monster looks like a big investment, does it start off well?
If Titan gets you into the more "bleak" or "gritty" side of anime, there's more options of the same. Stuff like Berserk or Hellsing Ultimate. They get mentioned a lot for a reason. Others may include: Claymore, Psycho Pass, Bokurano, Ergo Proxy, Black Lagoon, GANTZ, or Kara no Kyoukai.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Holy shit, I completely forgot about Bokurano.

the death of the first kid was fucking awesome and stuck with me for days

Also, don't foget Fate/Zero, Kurozuka, Mardock Scramble, Shigurui.

edit : should I watch Psycho Pass now or wait for the director's cut or whatever someone was talking about a few pages back ?

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
LoGH is indeed very addictive and quite good. Too bad tytania was discontinued, actually maybe you should give a shot to tytania if you like, and if you do go watch the entire LoGH.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
edit : should I watch Psycho Pass now or wait for the director's cut or whatever someone was talking about a few pages back ?
You can wait for the director's cut if you want, supposedly they're being released in 11 episodes, but they're an hour long with new footage. This season is coming to a close probably by the end of the month anyway, and the new Psycho Pass apparently starts in July.

Fedor

<Banned>
You can wait for the director's cut if you want, supposedly they're being released in 11 episodes, but they're an hour long with new footage. This season is coming to a close probably by the end of the month anyway, and the new Psycho Pass apparently starts in July.
What season is coming to a close? Season 1 ended over a year ago and season 2 starts this October.