Spring 2014 Anime Thread

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One Week Friends - That show just hits you in the feels. Just watched episode 1 & 2, skipped it last week because it's not the type of show I would watch often but it came recommended. Should be one of the better series this season.

Brynhildr seems to have gotten even more dark.

Kaosu

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - Seems interesting, the main guy's self doubt seems a little ludicrous though.
Maybe because I only skimmed through the episode, does it really imply that the MC has self-doubt? Not to give any sort of spoilers (analysis of the MC, nothing plot related), but the main is pretty much

a god if you were to compare him and everyone else in the known universe in the novel series. While he can be self-deprecating at times, its very rare. Rather, if anything, he is pretty much the anti-shounen hero in that he is unfairly strong from the start, incredibly mature and doesn't fall into the typical cliche of shounen heroes, at all. The novel almost pokes fun at this, as every time there is a situation that could potentially put him in some sort of trouble in a social setting, he instantly de-escalates it and usually turns the situation around with almost sociopathic levels of manipulation. If there was ever a thing as a 'moral' sociopath, this guy would be it.

The only thing I can think of is the animated series probably will miss out on the descriptions on how characters feel or what their thoughts are, which made up a good portion of the dialogue between the reader and characters.

Kaio

Mahouka definitely went up another point in my book after today's episode. Looks like we'll actually have some action, I was afraid they would be too secretive at first dragging the plot along for no reason. They haven't revealed the full extent of his abilities but we are getting a good idea.

Sean_sl

shitlord
This episode didn't really have any of that. It was pretty much him being pure badass. I think that was just an isolated incident, especially after reading the posts above of people who have read the manga.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think that scene was just showing how shitty he is at the conventional magic..

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It sounds like anyone who's stuck in a specialization. You've all played MMOs before, right? He excels at physical skills, its like a rogue surrounded by mages.

Kaio

It sounds like anyone who's stuck in a specialization. You've all played MMOs before, right? He excels at physical skills, its like a rogue surrounded by mages.
Definitely an issue of specialization but I wouldn't say physical, per se. He was using some difficult magic in the end of episode two with the three compounding waves and again using two of those bracelets type things in episode three, which the 1st course guy thought would be impossible for him. His physical abilities are top notch but based on what we've seen so far they seem to be hinting at him having pretty good magical abilities too; though definitely not the conventional kind that is tested and taught at the school.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
One Week Friends is a sweet show, but I watch it with that hint of fear that shit will go south and they'll rip my heart out.

Definitely an issue of specialization but I wouldn't say physical, per se. He was using some difficult magic in the end of episode two with the three compounding waves and again using two of those bracelets type things in episode three, which the 1st course guy thought would be impossible for him. His physical abilities are top notch but based on what we've seen so far they seem to be hinting at him having pretty good magical abilities too; though definitely not the conventional kind that is tested and taught at the school.
Yeah, but he's probably just taking what little magic he can do to the next level. Kind of how rogue classes tend to have invisibility like magic users, but they take the skill to greater heights of strength and versatility. They can't summon ice storms and whatnot though.

Kaio

One Week Friends is a sweet show, but I watch it with that hint of fear that shit will go south and they'll rip my heart out.

Yeah, but he's probably just taking what little magic he can do to the next level. Kind of how rogue classes tend to have invisibility like magic users, but they take the skill to greater heights of strength and versatility. They can't summon ice storms and whatnot though.
I'm not gonna lie I shed tears a bit for One Week Friends in the first two episodes. Haven't watched the third yet.

As for Mahouka, I guess we'll have to wait and see but I feel like they are hiding too much of his powers, that restoration bit was also interesting.

Brynhildr is getting pretty good too and dark, just found out it was from the creator(s) of Elfen Lied. That had a depressing ending from what I remember.

Fadaar

That guy
Brynhildr is getting pretty good too and dark, just found out it was from the creator(s) of Elfen Lied. That had a depressing ending from what I remember.
Fuckin' cliffhanger for next week. I'm assuming it's the obvious

button #3

velk

Trakanon Raider
As for Mahouka, I guess we'll have to wait and see but I feel like they are hiding too much of his powers, that restoration bit was also interesting.
Did his sister actually kill him ? Restoring your memories from backup after getting knocked out seems kind of overkill.