Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
EVE at one time had headless python clients people would bot with (I read this and never tried to track one down). It is 100% a server game, the UI is only there to make you think you bought an actual game and not a physics simulator.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
EVE at one time had headless python clients people would bot with (I read this and never tried to track one down). It is 100% a server game, the UI is only there to make you think you bought an actual game and not a physics simulator.
lol physics. EVE doesn't really have physics either. The to-hit values for weapons are based extremely loosely on something resembling the actual math involved in calculating trajectories but it's not even remotely close to being simulated physics.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Denaut - In the game developing business.
Furry - Pops a boner when goofy walks by and thinks he knows better that the entire body of theoretical physics.

I'll go with Denaut 's explanation.
That makes you an idiot too. This isn't the first time denaut has tried to talk about eve out of his ass and has been shown to be categorically wrong.

I don't make stupid claims about games I don't know, but I do know eve. Eve's problem was always the server CPU. The devs have openly talked about it, they have openly talked about their strategies to fix it, they bought servers specifically designed to better handle the issue. I've participated in numerous large battles myself, and specifically worked to test server CPU issues. Networking has never even been on the radar of concerns.

Also goofy looks retarded. 0/10 hotness level.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
And after watching your level of 'expertise' on display in various other threads I would still give him the benefit of the doubt. You are very much an example of one of those who thinks they know far more than they actually do.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like Furry can easily win this argument by providing evidence that the devs have indicated server CPU, rather than bandwidth, is the primary issue with Eve's handling of large amounts of ships in a dense area.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Also goofy looks retarded. 0/10 hotness level.
Better watch out dude, Goofy might be a serial killer

rrr_img_112806.jpg

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Sounds like Furry can easily win this argument by providing evidence that the devs have indicated server CPU, rather than bandwidth, is the primary issue with Eve's handling of large amounts of ships in a dense area.
Not really much of an argument. I'm more content insulting a massive retard than in proving him right or wrong. The fact he thinks I'm an idiot is icing on the cake which puts me in the rather esteemed company of every physicist on the planet. Something I'll have no problem living with for the rest of my days.

Having Sylas, Mist and a_skeleton_03 back him up only means I trust them far more to know what they are talking about. Furry is somewhere in the ranks of "I would double check if he claimed the sky was blue" after watching his tirades in the science threads. Trusting him on any expertise is a bit too much like going to Lumie for medical advice.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Would you believe me if I said is was (often) CPU-centric?

EDIT: making lunch and making a mess of it, so there are prob better sources but this isn't bad I guess.

EVE Devblog: Tama Dev Event - The Tech Side

As CCP Verit?s explained above we've been focusing a lot on fleet fight performance over the last 12-18 month period. Those of you that attended Fanfest this year probably saw CCP Yokai and CCP Atlas spill the beans on some of the measures we have been taking towards that end.On the hardware side we have been somewhat hampered by the fact that the EVE server is largely a single threaded application and thus limited performance-wise by the clockrate of the CPU.In the past we've been lucky in that we have been able to rely on clockrates increasing year over year. Sadly that party is mostly over for now and the emphasis is on horizontal scaling with multiple cores. Bad news for fleet fights and ol&rsquo; single threaded EVE.
But then again, I don't think the performance issue in a binary, mutually exclusive one, but I also don't think Furry is wrong either.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Umm... wtf?

Who was talking about Eve, because I wasn't. I was talking about Star Citizen, which is very different than Eve. Eve bottlenecks on the server because it is an entirely different kind of game where player input, and therefore network traffic, is minimal. In Eve the server has to calculate all sorts of things most MMO servers don't, like player movement, which is normally distributed to the brains of the participating players. Distributing the calculations eases pressure on the server at the cost of increased network traffic. I thought this was obvious, but maybe I didn't explain it very well.

Eve still has to deal with network traffic, but due to the way the game works it isn'ttheirmain bottleneck. It also happens that some of their methods with dealing with server calculation problems, such as time dilation, also alleviate help network traffic issues.

I'm not sure what Furry's problem is, or who he is trying to argue with, because it doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
That video is so wtf I think I may have to gouge out my eyes to purge the 30 seconds of it I actually watched before deciding my sanity was at sake if I continued.

WTF is wrong with people?

Furry explain this shit.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Eve still has to deal with network traffic, but due to the way the game works it isn'ttheirmain bottleneck. It also happens that some of their methods with dealing with server calculation problems, such as time dilation, also alleviate help network traffic issues.

I'm not sure what Furry's problem is, or who he is trying to argue with, because it doesn't have anything to do with what I was talking about.
Hmmm, I dunno, it makes sense to me. You said"Massive space battles fall partially into #1 but mostly into number #2", and for many EVE is what they think of when someone says 'massive space battles'. I Don't really care myself, and I don't think you're incorrect, but even you seem to be agreeing with what Furry said for the most part. At most I guess people could take EVE as an exception due to their architecture and just move on.

Honest question here...what other MMO really qualifies in regards to"Massive Space Battles"?

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Umm... wtf?

Who was talking about Eve, because I wasn't. I was talking about Star Citizen, which is very different than Eve. Eve bottlenecks on the server because it is an entirely different kind of game where player input, and therefore network traffic, is minimal. In Eve the server has to calculate all sorts of things most MMO servers don't, like player movement, which is normally distributed to the brains of the participating players. Distributing the calculations eases pressure on the server at the cost of increased network traffic. I thought this was obvious, but maybe I didn't explain it very well.

Don't worry. Furry hasn't been laid since the Cretaceous period.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I beta tested Earth and Beyond. I don't remember being able to pvp at all, honestly. But that game is way way old and I never played it in live so mebbe they added it later.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm, I dunno, it makes sense to me. You said"Massive space battles fall partially into #1 but mostly into number #2", and for many EVE is what they think of when someone says 'massive space battles'. I Don't really care myself, and I don't think you're incorrect, but even you seem to be agreeing with what Furry said for the most part. At most I guess people could take EVE as an exception due to their architecture and just move on.

Honest question here...what other MMO really qualifies in regards to"Massive Space Battles"?
I just figured he meant in regards to a notional massive space battle occuring in SC.