Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Blackwulf

N00b
In other news, SC just hit 100 million in funding. Also, I'm pretty sure Derek Smart said they'd be out of business by now, back in September...

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
In other news, SC just hit 100 million in funding. Also, I'm pretty sure Derek Smart said they'd be out of business by now, back in September...
Derek Smart predicted first quarter 2016. Since CIG had 8 million left back in the beginning of October, it was a reasonable forecast, and If SC were based on a standard business model, he would probably be right(he could still be right).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Derek Smart predicted first quarter 2016. Since CIG had 8 million left back in the beginning of October, it was a reasonable forecast, and If SC were based on a standard business model, he would probably be right(he could still be right).
Where is this information coming from that they had 8 million left?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Most employees of any company don't know how money is spent and how much is coming in and out. Why would anyone trust former employees like that?

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Most employees of any company don't know how money is spent and how much is coming in and out. Why would anyone trust former employees like that?
What an ignorant statement. Most employees actually do. It's called a quarterly financial report. For any crowd-funded/kickstarter game I would bet everyone in the company is very interested in how much money is left. I doubt it would be hard to find out either, even if management tried to keep it a secret.

Some people would say you shouldn't listen to what employees have to say about their companies. I strongly disagree. You should listen very closely when people start talking about their workplace. People don't just make shit up. It's probably all true.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What an ignorant statement. Most employees actually do. It's called a quarterly financial report. For any crowd-funded/kickstarter game I would bet everyone in the company is very interested in how much money is left. I doubt it would be hard to find out either, even if management tried to keep it a secret.

Some people would say you shouldn't listen to what employees have to say about their companies. I strongly disagree. You should listen very closely when people start talking about their workplace. People don't just make shit up. It's probably all true.
You are in la la land. Employees don't know shit about the day to day expenses of a company unless that is their field.

The number most often received from people has indicated that, currently, the company has less than $8 million of what was raised from the crowdfunding efforts left - a number that several employees have stated is "common knowledge" within the company

So we have no documents or anything just anon sources. Common knowledge my ass.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm not so sure I agree. Most companies I've seen are like 38 Studios where as long as the free pizza and coffee keeps coming occasionally they see the company as healthy.

That said, I don't know about a crowd-funded startup that loosely looks like it was masterminded by Bernie Madoff. I personally wouldn't work in a company like that without an unbiased understanding of finances. Just not worth it - it's a computer game company. I might for a startup with a (r)evolutionary product or service, but not something that is the visionary equivalent of Mein Kampf in space.

Maric

N00b
This. Give me a fucking break. All that conspiracy theory bullshit has been debunked over and over.

As much time as I've spent in this new build, and seeing how much better it is running than just two weeks ago, sure seems like this is the real deal.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
You are in la la land. Employees don't know shit about the day to day expenses of a company unless that is their field.
Who said anything about day to day expenses? This isn't the lease payments on the land or employee salaries. These are general amounts left in the kickstarter pool. Nice strawman, but no. A lot of employees know general revenue numbers for their company. When I worked for a private company, I knew the revenue/profit numbers, and I didn't even give a shit. If I were working for a crowd-funded company though, I would care a lot about this stuff.

The number most often received from people has indicated that, currently, the company has less than $8 million of what was raised from the crowdfunding efforts left - a number that several employees have stated is "common knowledge" within the company

So we have no documents or anything just anon sources. Common knowledge my ass.
You're not going to get a signed copy of all the financials, because that would violate all sorts of compliance regulations, and potentially get the employee shitcanned from the industry forever if it were ever found out who did it.

So, since the employees are only telling you what's going on, but aren't providing hard-copy evidence, what they're saying must all be bullshit. I gotcha.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
This. Give me a fucking break. All that conspiracy theory bullshit has been debunked over and over.
Lol, the conspiracy?

Look, if they were saying that 1 billion dollars were spent, than I would agree that something isn't right, but the amount the sources are claiming have been spent are pretty much inline with their headcount and years in development. If you did some basic accounting math, you'd probably get the same figures as the sources. So the conspiracy is that they've been spending a lot of money developing a game?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Who said anything about day to day expenses? This isn't the lease payments on the land or employee salaries. These are general amounts left in the kickstarter pool. Nice strawman, but no. A lot of employees know general revenue numbers for their company. When I worked for a private company, I knew the revenue/profit numbers, and I didn't even give a shit. If I were working for a crowd-funded company though, I would care a lot about this stuff.

You're not going to get a signed copy of all the financials, because that would violate all sorts of compliance regulations, and potentially get the employee shitcanned from the industry forever if it were ever found out who did it.

So, since the employees are only telling you what's going on, but aren't providing hard-copy evidence, what they're saying must all be bullshit. I gotcha.
It's called proof and verifying sources, something people used to do. As it is now anyone with an axe to grind can say fucking anything and it will get published by someone.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's called proof and verifying sources, something people used to do. As it is now anyone with an axe to grind can say fucking anything and it will get published by someone.
Yeah that is unfortunate which is why I am most definitely not citing any source and definitely not Smart.

I will say that it is very possible that some employees know what the financial state is/was especially at the time they were probably wanting to be very transparent with their employees.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah that is unfortunate which is why I am most definitely not citing any source and definitely not Smart.

I will say that it is very possible that some employees know what the financial state is/was especially at the time they were probably wanting to be very transparent with their employees.
This whole thing could go up in smoke soon, who the fuck knows. Holy fuck though at what passes for evidence now.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This whole thing could go up in smoke soon, who the fuck knows. Holy fuck though at what passes for evidence now.
Yeah for sure. I am just sitting back and hoping it makes it but both sides right now have zero evidence.

I see a lot of "well the demo right now is amazing so it must be doing well" which really isn't for sure at all. They could have spent every last dime and then some for a final push to get something out the door in order to keep people backing.

You have the opposite with "they are running out of money any day because a former employee may have seen the books and quit 6 months ago and they said so" which is nowhere near solid either.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Like I said, you're probably never going to get signed documents of financial records. Anyone with access to those isn't stupid enough to publish them. It's healthy to take everything that's word of mouth with a grain of salt, but if you willfully ignore what employees are saying, I think that's quite foolish.

And of all the things to take a stand on in that article, this is quite silly. So CIG has spent 84 million as of October 2015? That sounds about right.