Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah for sure. I am just sitting back and hoping it makes it but both sides right now have zero evidence.

I see a lot of "well the demo right now is amazing so it must be doing well" which really isn't for sure at all. They could have spent every last dime and then some for a final push to get something out the door in order to keep people backing.

You have the opposite with "they are running out of money any day because a former employee may have seen the books and quit 6 months ago and they said so" which is nowhere near solid either.
I think SQ42 has potential to be a fantastic game. I don't have the same faith in the MMO part. 100 million is a fuckton of money but not when it comes to making an AAA mmo. As has been said before, if SQ42 isn't a financial success past what backers have bought, they are fucked.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Like I said, you're probably never going to get signed documents of financial records. Anyone with access to those isn't stupid enough to publish them. It's healthy to take everything that's word of mouth with a grain of salt, but if you willfully ignore what employees are saying, I think that's quite foolish.

And of all the things to take a stand on in that article, this is quite silly. So CIG has spent 84 million as of October 2015? That sounds about right.
The reason I quoted that sentence is because it is what you cited as proof of 8 million dollars left. That isn't proof. The number 8 million reeks of bullshit. If someone had that much detail into the finances of the game, they would be able to give a much more detailed account of the finances. Instead we get some bullshit about common knowledge of 8 million.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
The reason I quoted that sentence is because it is what you cited as proof of 8 million dollars left. That isn't proof. The number 8 million reeks of bullshit. If someone had that much detail into the finances of the game, they would be able to give a much more detailed account of the finances. Instead we get some bullshit about common knowledge of 8 million.
Look, it is hearsay. It's ALL speculation other than some playable demos and shit. The larger point is that their financial state is still in question. We can agree on that? CIG is not out of the woods. It's precarious from where I'm sitting. If it does collapse, it will happen quickly in a series of withdrawn loans and demanded refunds. The saltiness of the tears will kill us all. It will be like Gomorrah. Hope for good things but be ready.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Look, it is hearsay. It's ALL speculation other than some playable demos and shit. The larger point is that their financial state is still in question. We can agree on that? CIG is not out of the woods. It's precarious from where I'm sitting. If it does collapse, it will happen quickly in a series of withdrawn loans and demanded refunds. The saltiness of the tears will kill us all. It will be like Gomorrah. Hope for good things but be ready.
Their financial state is totally in question. I don't think many people even think 100 million is enough for the MMO part.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Uhhh, in question by whom and with what evidence? Why do I feel like I'm arguing against religious people here...

It's notknownwhat the financial position is. A few outspoken people with (as far as I've seen) no credibility are claiming it's 'in question' or in a bad position. You don't need to make shit up to question the way this game is being funded or promoted/advertised.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man all this posting is just going to summon Variise like the fucking Candyman and incoming dissertation about SC.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
We have no clue what their finances are like, but seeing the size of their studio and time into development, it's fairly reasonable to assume they don't have a lot left, probably a few months at best. Is that enough to deliver SQ42, I don't know.

I think it's also somewhat safe to assume that if they do run out of money...they have the very real possibility of looking for loans or other type of financing. They have a lot of stuff done, have the basis of what the game should play like with 2.0, and have shown that they have a very dedicated fan based with money to spend. I would think that the whole thing would be interesting for an investor.

I may be wrong though about everything though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
They update the game pretty regularly they make progress on a monthly basis. Why the fuck should I concern myself with more than that. At this point the game sucks or it doesn't. Fuck awanka and idiots like him who get all worked up about a game de development cycle. I know enough that I dont know how to financially fund game development. You shitheads should too.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not commenting on the ethics or mehod of funding but how they are spending that cash.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Man all this posting is just going to summon Variise like the fucking Candyman and incoming dissertation about SC.
Maybe you can post a few more times on how angsty you are about deciding between a force master or summoner in blade and soul.

Personally I enjoy your commentary on the game and I enjoy variise on star Citizen but let's not pretend your bullshit is better than anyone else's bullshit.

It's all about video games, enjoy every bit of it.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
They update the game pretty regularly they make progress on a monthly basis. Why the fuck should I concern myself with more than that. At this point the game sucks or it doesn't. Fuck awanka and idiots like him who get all worked up about a game de development cycle. I know enough that I dont know how to financially fund game development. You shitheads should too.

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not commenting on the ethics or mehod of funding but how they are spending that cash.
You're projecting again.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Apparently doing kamikaze style dives into ships trying to take off from Port Olisar is a thing. So are people who like to run up and open cargo bays on Constellations before take off. Really need weapons free around the starting station to combat the trolls, it feels like a race to get to my ship and in the air before someone tries to mess with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even if they had only 8mil cash on hand back then (which is a number that can't be trusted), they've generated a lot sense Derek Smart was in the news.

My previous (private) company disclosed their financials. My current company doesn't. I imagine in gaming companies it's more likely to be withheld from the company. I don't know what the upside to disclosing it to nerds is. If you're reaping high profits they'll get uppity and want raises. If you're bleeding money they'll start looking to flee the ship.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I think SQ42 has potential to be a fantastic game. I don't have the same faith in the MMO part. 100 million is a fuckton of money but not when it comes to making an AAA mmo. As has been said before, if SQ42 isn't a financial success past what backers have bought, they are fucked.
Rift was made for $50 milllion (adjusted for inflation, $60 million).

Defiance (although absolutely terrible) was made for $80 million (adjusted for inflation, $81 million).

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rift was made for $50 milllion (adjusted for inflation, $60 million).

Defiance (although absolutely terrible) was made for $80 million (adjusted for inflation, $81 million).
Indeed,

The game is currently ranked #13 for all time most expensive game. It had the funds needed.