Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Variise

N00b
Since it bares on this conversation and it doesn't look like anyone keeps a close enough eye to ever ask me let me link what Sean Tracy of CIG linked to people on Discord earlier in what they want out of planetary weather systems. I think you can consider weather systems a threat considering the types of weathers planets can have beyond Earth.

If you know who Sean is you might want to watch today's RtV since he spends at least half the time talking about the issues with 2.0, the fixes, EVA and why things are so broken etc. Considering he is their tech director he is uniquely able to explain this in the most detail. Warning: He goes on forever. So if you hate my "ramblings" do not watch Sean speak or read anything he writes because you will hate your brain.

Have a happy holidays guys.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Did CIG ever give an answer for why forces acting upon the player are a problem in a game where gravity controlling technology is a thing?

I don't know what bullshit they made up to describe how they can have gravity on space ships, but I'm guessing they have tech that emits a gravity field around a localized area. Translational, euler and centripetal forces acting upon the driver should be able to be cancelled out by the same tech. Getting rid of these black/red/gray/white outs as soon as things get cool.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The vision change as the pilot approaches G-LOC seems way off in that video. Artificial gravity yet no dampening field? I'd think you'd get smeared on the insides of your ship with the speeds you have to move at for travel in the galaxy.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
@Tuco.
Maybe it could be explained away by saying that antigravity equipment is extremely bulky and expensive and can basically only be deployed on very large space-vessels and on space stations.

I still do not understand why Port Olisar have those humongous spinning rings though, that seem to indicate the old fashioned way of creating gravity through centrifugal force.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do people not think money exists in the future? I mean just because something is 'better' does not mean you don't use the old, reliable cheap version instead. I'm sure it's plenty reasonable to assume the Honda Civic LX of Star Citizen also doesn't come with adaptive cruise control and a sweet stereo much less artificial gravity controls to negate high G maneuvers.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do people not think money exists in the future? I mean just because something is 'better' does not mean you don't use the old, reliable cheap version instead. I'm sure it's plenty reasonable to assume the Honda Civic LX of Star Citizen also doesn't come with adaptive cruise control and a sweet stereo much less artificial gravity controls to negate high G maneuvers.
I get why the honda civic wouldn't (I love my honda accord btw), but the ferrari should. As should a racing or fighting ship.

I'm just wondering if they've ever answered that question. Even if they had a compelling answer I wouldn't care. I think it makes for bad gameplay.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea but I still think you are too stuck on this game being just good and fun to play. CR is clearly intending this to be 'realistic' so it will be obnoxious and tedious instead. You will likely have to suffer through protracted sequences everywhere. Fuck landing on planets, I can only take so many rotating lock doohickeys on airlock doors that take just too long to turn before they open before going insane.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yea but I still think you are too stuck on this game being just good and fun to play. CR is clearly intending this to be 'realistic' so it will be obnoxious and tedious instead. You will likely have to suffer through protracted sequences everywhere. Fuck landing on planets, I can only take so many rotating lock doohickeys on airlock doors that take just too long to turn before they open before going insane.
I agree with it being obnoxious, but I think that the undesirable parts will be shaken out during real play-testing. All the doohickeys are cool, shit just needs to happen fast.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I agree with it being obnoxious, but I think that the undesirable parts will be shaken out during real play-testing. All the doohickeys are cool, shit just needs to happen fast.
wouldn't be to sure about that. who does a real play test when you've got tens of thousands of people dropping their life savings for fancy pixels and an alpha slot?

The undesirable parts are here to stay, they wasted like 1/3 of their budget on adding that shit in and getting it "just right".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I get why the honda civic wouldn't (I love my honda accord btw), but the ferrari should. As should a racing or fighting ship.

I'm just wondering if they've ever answered that question. Even if they had a compelling answer I wouldn't care. I think it makes for bad gameplay.
I think they've said that some suits will offer more g-force negation, while other suits will have more armor, more mobility, etc. They want a lot of potential axis for player equipment. Same goes for ship equipment to negate such forces.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I heard that putting on your new suit takes 3 other players and sometimes the zipper gets stuck which requires a QTE to jostle it free without ripping your undergarments.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
As should a racing or fighting ship.
Fighting ships would, absolutely.

If the USAF had stuff that could neutralize blackout/red tunnellin in their pilots, every fighter craft would have it. Because those who did not would be dogmeat.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would be a reasonable facsimile of happy if people used my referral code: STAR-C3G4-2XMJ.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
what is a referral code for?
Pretty sure it's like those farmville friend requests you get from fat bitches you know on facebook. If you use the referral code Mist gets 5% off on some virtual space weed or something.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The person who uses the code upon account creation gets 5000 UEC, aka 5 dollars worth of space bucks, and if they buy something worth 40 dollars or more the referrer gets a recruitment point that give progressively better rewards. 10 recruits gets you a free Gladius, a 90 dollar ship.

spronk

FPS noob
Soooo i guess everyone who has a copy can play PTU now? i'm too lazy to download another 30 gigs, someone try it and say if its cool or not. I wanna fly ships with Luke Skywalker

email from today
Greetings Citizens!

We're excited to announce that we've opened up 2.1.0 on the Public Test Universe (PTU) to all players!

We've feverishly been working to get Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.0 ready, but we've discovered a couple of issues that prevent it from being a fully enjoyable and stable gaming experience (particularly, temporary significant drops in framerates). The last thing we want is to jeopardize all of the fun everyone's been having with 2.0.0, and certainly not over the entire holiday period!

With that in mind, we'll be keeping 2.0.0 on the Live service and opening up 2.1.0 on PTU for all players!

We know some of you really want to check out the flight-ready Freelancer as well as the hangar-ready Sabre, so take a look at the updated 2.1.0 Patch Notes available on the forums:

Roberts Space Industries

Important things to keep in mind about PTU,which is a true test environment where we can stage our builds before deploying to Live in order to stabilize the service and catch critical bugs:

- Playing on PTU is completely optional!

- PTU capacity is somewhat restricted compared to Live. If you find that you cannot join a match, we advise waiting for another time.

- PTU is not about "early access" to content; it's intended for actual testing of features, content, and updates. Opening PTU up is opening up the option to be a tester to help us accomplish near-term development goals.

- You might encounter some game breaking bugs or experience latency issues not seen on the Live service. We encourage all players to help report bugs atIssue Council.

- You'll have 60GB+ of Star Citizen installed if you decide to play both on Live and on PTU: 30GB+ for the 2.0.0 client on Live, 30GB+ for the 2.1.0 client on PTU. Make sure you have enough space before you start the install!

- We frequently update PTU with large patches. PTU is not advised for those with bandwidth/download caps.

For those players who are not familiar with how to get onto PTU, all you have to do is:

- Start the Star Citizen Launcher and log in with your normal credentials.
- Once logged in, click the gear cog on the top right of the launcherto go to Options.
- Click Copy Account on the lower right.
- You'll get an email notification with the copy process is complete. This process can take up to an hour if there is a large concurrent influx of players all copying their account concurrently.

This basically wraps up our year, and what a year it has been in building the BDSSE.

We hope you enjoy your time on PTU and Happy Holidays from all of us here at Cloud Imperium Games!