Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
well I guess you are in luck since the cheapest package is >$40.00 you need for spacebux points.

So far I am thoroughly impressed with their server. clocking nearly 250 mb/sec downloading this game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
ps what's the difference between Live and PTU? I see they have 2 different builds up, but since it's alpha aren't they both test servers?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Live is the 'stable' build. PTU is the next build. A little in flux right now since both are moving fast.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So 16 minutes to download 30gigs. nice.

Load up my hangar, boring.
Load up arena commander, don't know wtf i'm doing can't fly a ship to save my ass.
Ok load up arena commander flight tutorial. now i'm getting places. figured out how to take off, fly around, shoot things, how to not blackout/redout mostly. figure out how to tokyo drift with the e-brake (lol spacebrake). still trying to figure out the sling shot stuff (caps lock). I get the concept just hard to get it down right.

Ok cool, almost finished tutorial. I crashed into a lot of shit trying to follow through the asteroid fields but whatev. kill all the badies about to wrap things up and game crashes, lolz.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So anyone who signed up can play the game now? How many people are online at a given time?

Also when is the javelin destroyer goign to be in the game? Or any other large-player ownable ships.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
If you own a game package, you can play. There is a player cap on each instance of the 2.0 universe (Im not sure the exact number though). Enough are playing that sometimes I get the "All Instances Full" message when trying to log in, but once you get into your ship and are out screwing around running into others isnt a real common occurrence (at least for me).

The Javelin is probably a bit off from being flight ready. In the Star CitizenShip Matrixyou can see a description of all ships that have been revealed and sold at some point so far. Each entry has a status update that shows where in the pipeline it is. The Javelin is in the 3D art stage, so it's still a ways off from being Hangar ready, much less flight ready. Currently the largest ships that are flight ready are theRetaliatorand the Andromeda variant of theConstellation.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So anyone who signed up can play the game now? How many people are online at a given time?

Also when is the javelin destroyer goign to be in the game? Or any other large-player ownable ships.
3.0 is supposed to have a 'capture the capital ship' multiplayer attack/boarding scenario. When we will actually see pilotable capital ships in the sandbox portion, no idea.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you own a game package, you can play. There is a player cap on each instance of the 2.0 universe (Im not sure the exact number though). Enough are playing that sometimes I get the "All Instances Full" message when trying to log in, but once you get into your ship and are out screwing around running into others isnt a real common occurrence (at least for me).

The Javelin is probably a bit off from being flight ready. In the Star CitizenShip Matrixyou can see a description of all ships that have been revealed and sold at some point so far. Each entry has a status update that shows where in the pipeline it is. The Javelin is in the 3D art stage, so it's still a ways off from being Hangar ready, much less flight ready. Currently the largest ships that are flight ready are theRetaliatorand the Andromeda variant of theConstellation.
horizontal scrolling was not a good choice in that ship matrix.

I can see capital ship gameplay being really amazing, but I'm not sure how much constraints would need to be put in the game to ensure capital ships make sense.

I could see some fun gameplay where PRX could have a massive capital ship that was persistent and was basically the home for all the people in the organization. They'd spawn there, get missions from there and would carry out some larger campaign. The ship would move from system to system at the admiral's command and players could have a variety of interesting roles (likely gunner + pilot in the fleet) they could play.

I don't see how that kind of gameplay aligns with the typical MMO style of being a freelancer, but it'd be cool from the standpoint of a leader in a massive guild.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
horizontal scrolling was not a good choice in that ship matrix.

I can see capital ship gameplay being really amazing, but I'm not sure how much constraints would need to be put in the game to ensure capital ships make sense.

I could see some fun gameplay where PRX could have a massive capital ship that was persistent and was basically the home for all the people in the organization. They'd spawn there, get missions from there and would carry out some larger campaign. The ship would move from system to system at the admiral's command and players could have a variety of interesting roles (likely gunner + pilot in the fleet) they could play.

I don't see how that kind of gameplay aligns with the typical MMO style of being a freelancer, but it'd be cool from the standpoint of a leader in a massive guild.
Yea, if cap ships are implemented properly they'll need a ton of support and I do question what their purpose is besides pitched engagements.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
man this game is really rough still. I know it's alpha but even the fucking single player flight tutorials in arena commander are buggy and the game crashes constantly. Haven't even loaded up the universe stuff yet

Blackwulf

N00b
man this game is really rough still. I know it's alpha but even the fucking single player flight tutorials in arena commander are buggy and the game crashes constantly. Haven't even loaded up the universe stuff yet
Yeah, it has quite a few crash bugs introduced in the latest build. Supposedly the PTU build is more stable. It will continue to improve with incremental patches until the next big release when everything gets broken again. Welcome to alpha!

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
wait you are saying that the 2.1 experimental build is more stable than the 2.0 stable live build? Also why should either of these things affect Arena Commander? I thought Arena commander launched like a year or so ago? why isn't it completely stable?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
They're basically rebuilding the game as they go; there's minimal to no version control or regression testing it looks like.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
wait you are saying that the 2.1 experimental build is more stable than the 2.0 stable live build? Also why should either of these things affect Arena Commander? I thought Arena commander launched like a year or so ago? why isn't it completely stable?
I don't know about SC but this is very common for one 'experimental build' to be more stable. It's also very common for the X.1 build to be more stable than X.0, because X.0 adds a bunch of features and X.1 fixes them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They're basically rebuilding the game as they go; there's minimal to no version control or regression testing it looks like.
I don't know what you're saying here, but I am sure they have a very coheisve version control and broad QA system. But this iterative process is part of their QA system, so these player tests are going to include a lot of issues.

Blackwulf

N00b
To add to what Tuco said, and address your second question: Arena Commander is not a separate game with it's own engine and physics models. Everything done in the persistent universe build will affect Arena Commander. If you change how a ship flies in the PU, it changes how it flies in AC. If you change the damage system in the PU, it will affect the damage system in AC, etc. As features get added, they require testing and fixing, in all game areas.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do you understand how a game client works? They're still adding features to the graphics engine on the client, this will effect all presentation modes of the game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The first part of your sentence seems true.

To add to what Tuco said, and address your second question: Arena Commander is not a separate game with it's own engine and physics models. Everything done in the persistent universe build will affect Arena Commander. If you change how a ship flies in the PU, it changes how it flies in AC. If you change the damage system in the PU, it will affect the damage system in AC, etc. As features get added, they require testing and fixing, in all game areas.
This is not apparent at all, but it makes sense, thanks.

Do you understand how a game client works? They're still adding features to the graphics engine on the client, this will effect all presentation modes of the game.
go fuck yourself mist. I just gave you spacebux and you come at me like a twat (I would call you a cunt but, ya know)

Arena Commander doesn't appear as a "presentation mode" of the game. It appears a completely separate module. It doesn't look like it has any advanced graphic updates or 64bit (well maybe this is hard to tell since the zone is so small) or anything else that would lead a person to assume that it wasn't a finished and polished stand alone module. As an old looking stand alone module it doesn't lead one to to assume that it's buggy as fuck because it's also being rebuilt constantly and updated with engine updates from the game.

So basically I will accept Blackwulf's explanation, even though there is nothing about arena commander to make you assume that.