Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
The new one is pretty promising, called Rebirth. They are taking their time and I think they are trying to broaden the appeal. Whether that means dumbing it down, or just tidying it up to be a lot less clunky, remains to be seen. But I am looking forward to it.

And of course... Elite mofo 4.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I just hope its fun. I don't like ones that are too arcade-ish because they become all about dogfights which are pretty boring when you do them over and over.
You're asking for the spiritual successor to Wing Commander to be light on dogfighting.

rrr_img_32933.jpg

p.s. I never liked the X games, too boring and horrible interface.
But you liked EQ?

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I have a question. I've never really played any kind of space game, barring the BBS game Trade Wars in the late 80's/early 90's, which doesn't really count. For some reason I got super excited about this game. I pledged a bunch of money and now I wait. Me, being a huge nerd and kind of going over the top, started thinking about building some big ass arcade cabinet style enclosure, with a pilot chair, force feedback, and all the bells and whistles. Started dreaming up little dreams in my head and planning out how this would work.

However, with the oculus rift coming out.. I sort of think that's the way to go. So, my new plan became "Get a chair and all the controls to make this the nerdiest virtual reality-ist experience ever! So I start looking around at WHAT to buy, and to what do I discover? It seems most people say the flight sticks, foot pedals, etc are all pretty detrimental, and what do they recommend? Keyboard and mouse.

So, what do people with a history of these types of games think? I mean, I assume everyone's going to be on the oculus rift train, but as far as controls go, do you guys agree? I suppose its great for my wallet if thats the case, I was just really excited to pretend to be in space. ^_^

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nothing beats a flight stick set up imo. You just can't get the same immersion( that's right I said Immersion, fucking deal with it!) with a K/M set up. Half the fun is feeling like you are actually flying a spacecraft. FFS I'm a god damn spacesim neckbeard.

Oh yah this sounds cool. App in august for your ship hanger.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/s...reaks-records/

kudos

<Banned>
Why do you have a Luclin model as your avatar. I will never take what you say seriously now.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I have a question. I've never really played any kind of space game, barring the BBS game Trade Wars in the late 80's/early 90's, which doesn't really count. For some reason I got super excited about this game. I pledged a bunch of money and now I wait. Me, being a huge nerd and kind of going over the top, started thinking about building some big ass arcade cabinet style enclosure, with a pilot chair, force feedback, and all the bells and whistles. Started dreaming up little dreams in my head and planning out how this would work.

However, with the oculus rift coming out.. I sort of think that's the way to go. So, my new plan became "Get a chair and all the controls to make this the nerdiest virtual reality-ist experience ever! So I start looking around at WHAT to buy, and to what do I discover? It seems most people say the flight sticks, foot pedals, etc are all pretty detrimental, and what do they recommend? Keyboard and mouse.

So, what do people with a history of these types of games think? I mean, I assume everyone's going to be on the oculus rift train, but as far as controls go, do you guys agree? I suppose its great for my wallet if thats the case, I was just really excited to pretend to be in space. ^_^
I dont think there is a real answer to this question yet. The Oculus Rift is still so new i dont think the best control schemes have been found yet. Probably going to be a little while as people figure out what works and what doesnt.

As for your cockpit idea, i have no idea! Space sims have been a dead genre for so long there just arent a lot of options for what you want to do. It will likely end up completely custom. I would start by looking into the Flight Sim and Racing Sim communities.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I saw a couple of leaked picture of a frigate or something with several seats on the bridge. Does anyone know if the game is going to support full avatar movement through your ship and/or having multiple players run one ship (and if required for larger ones or just an advantage)?

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Yes there will be full movement though your ship if its not just a small single seat fighter. You friends can man stations on capital ships if you own one and there can be boarding parties ect as well.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, the ship I bought seats two. If I have a friend with me he can man the rear 360 turret, if I'm alone I can set it to auto-turret (I believe, possibly by having an equip slot taken up by a computer). The next ship size up however has room for 3, one pilot manning the front guns, one guy manning rear guns, and one man taking a small interceptor ship out and manning that. If you are alone in that ship, again assuming auto-turret, your little interceptor ship just chills in your hanger, useless.

Would be very cool to see some massive ship that potentially has a full crew (think a guild base). Maybe at 6pm you want to stay the hell away from it... but you see it flying at 2am... how many people are actually onboard? Very exciting stuff.

But is combat always just dumb pew pew pew lazerz?

I want to see lots of different types of weapons with some tactical opportunity. Like a heatseeking missile that hits and causes damage over time - useless late in a fight but great if you set it off at the start. An EMP that stops the ship for a moment or slows it down or something. A very powerful lazer that slices but it moves slowly and you have to manually steer it at the ship and hope to hit. A disruptor that drops their shields for a moment. A virus that makes them shoot off all their weapons at nothing. Another virus that reverses their controls for a while and reduces their engine speed. A tractor beam that only lands if their shields are down but lets you transport a bunch of mini droids on to their ship that eat away at it and cause hull damage. A liquid nitrogen bomb that encases their entire ship in thick ice that harms its manoeuvrability and makes it so they can't see where they are going. A reverse heal, like another virus that causes enemy lazer fire to temporarily boost your shields rather than harm them. A receptor droid that you fire and attaches to their ship, then attacks you make with a certain type of weapon will be magnified by the droid. Etc..etc..etc..

And then a whole bunch of stuff which you can use on yourself to counteract these types of things. Basically, I want MMO-ish combat but in a pew pew action form. Otherwise I would be bored.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Oh no it definitely will not only be pew pew lasers. Missiles will definitely be in also they have many different weapon types for your main guns. Tractor beams are in as well but they are used once you disable a ship. Beams will enable you to board them if you want to try and take a ship intact by killing the crew in close combat.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck you guys got me excited about this and I dont even play space sims.

The -multiple people- operating a large ship has me. Has this been fleshed out by the creators?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Seriously, 3 people manning one ship is gonna sell it to me, its one of the things I always wished EVE had done differently. A mix of Tie Fighter style dogfights and Star Trek 'sit on command chair and sip tea while issuing orbirtal bombardment orders' gameplay? Worth checking out for sure.

I havent really followed the details because fuck getting excited 2 years in advance, but afaik they are going for a very simulation-like feel. So I assume 'snare-torpedos' are out on account of physics. On the other hand even simple realistic space physics are gonna be interesting to play in.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If they use the mouse control from WC5, there won't be a discussion, because mouse would be 1000x easier. (the "follow the cursor" style - I'm not sure if there's another game that uses anything similar)

Shit this game just makes me want to install FSOpen again. Last time I downloaded everything and all the mods and then never actually played it because goddamn there a million games out there I've never played and I've played that shit three times already.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
WC5 = Prophecy? That wasnt a roberts game and it showed, cant comment on mouse control though.
Whats FSOpen Kreugen, sounds promising so far.