Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
You could argue that as he's, in fact, an expect in fucking up space games therefore he knows what that looks like.
smile.png
His PhD Thesis exposed.

Variise

N00b
Yea it's $900 fully loaded, cheap version only $350!
That's the Master Set which is the ship + 1 of every type of Pod/Module they have come up with so far.

The thing is that's not necessary for the ship to be fully loaded. There are several configurations of the ship that are more or less fully loaded and don't cost anywhere near that. All the Master Set does is give you options.

And before I get the usual crowd pissing in my corn flakes let me just remind people that I have heard nothing but bitching, moaning, crying, begging and pathetic attempts to offer sexual favors to the Devs of other games for well over a decade, and failing, to institute a gameplay mechanic that this type of ship allows.

So just try and keep that in mind before you unzip.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do you think it's not investment?
Fuck no it's not an investment. If anything it's gambling. Now crowdfunding to raise capital for a seed round with people getting actual shares is a different story and iirc the SEC already addressed that issue. The video game industry has been really smart if you think about it. The essentially are getting people to pay for a game before they even start working on it because we are fucking addicts.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fuck no it's not an investment. If anything it's gambling. Now crowdfunding to raise capital for a seed round with people getting actual shares is a different story and iirc the SEC already addressed that issue. The video game industry has been really smart if you think about it. The essentially are getting people to pay for a game before they even start working on it because we are fucking addicts.
Investment is gambling. If you don't think that the gub'ment can decide to regulate new things it figures out it likes to regulate, ask GMAC how avoiding the CFPB is going or how fancy free flying drones is since the FAA decided they liked them as well.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Investment is gambling. If you don't think that the gub'ment can decide to regulate new things it figures out it likes to regulate, ask GMAC how avoiding the CFPB is going or how fancy free flying drones is since the FAA decided they liked them as well.
There is a big difference between buying shares in a company and paying in advance for a game. It is true though that the entire industry needs some kind of regulation or something. I find kickstarters promising to release games for unrealistic amounts of money to be a complete joke. Crowfall for example is a game with a lot of great ideas but a complete joke funding wise. Paying in advance for a game that they even admitted would need more funding is something imo shouldn't be allowed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There is a big difference between buying shares in a company and paying in advance for a game. It is true though that the entire industry needs some kind of regulation or something. I find kickstarters promising to release games for unrealistic amounts of money to be a complete joke. Crowfall for example is a game with a lot of great ideas but a complete joke funding wise. Paying in advance for a game that they even admitted would need more funding is something imo shouldn't be allowed.
Yea but kickstarter is specifically paying money to FUND the development of a game or whatever- IE in the vast majority of cases the crowd is literally distributed VC to get around regulation and taxation amongst other things for those types of products. You are not preordering from EA. It's just straight up investing and I would bet money it gets regulated eventually. Just because it's a shitty investment (your best possible outcome is only one product and not a slice of the pie) doesn't mean you aren't providing liquid assets for the company to leverage for operations.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It's def not an investment, at least in the traditional 'financial investment' vein. It sure as hell wasn't for the Oculus backers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You're just prepurchasing a product that may or may not meet your expectations.

Star Citizen has at least already delivered a playable product that is in some ways very impressive. Maybe if they actually deliver the other 90% of what was promised then they'll have something. Heck, if they deliver 50% of what's been promised so far, most people will be fucking ecstatic.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
And before I get the usual crowd pissing in my corn flakes let me just remind people that I have heard nothing but bitching, moaning, crying, begging and pathetic attempts to offer sexual favors to the Devs of other games for well over a decade, and failing, to institute a gameplay mechanic that this type of ship allows.

Okay, let us know when it releases!

You're just prepurchasing a product that may or may not meet your expectations.

Star Citizen has at least already delivered a playable product that is in some ways very impressive. Maybe if they actually deliver the other 90% of what was promised then they'll have something. Heck, if they deliver 50% of what's been promised so far, most people will be fucking ecstatic.
[something about Derek Smart saying that you can raise $100 to build a box on Kickstarter, but can get away with developing a box worth $10 and pocketing the other ninety]

Denaut

Trump's Staff
For what its worth, I think Kickstarting games is almost always foolish, and I myself have only done it under some specific circumstances. I've seen the sausage made, how developers waste publisher money, the thought of putting my own money through that is incomprehensible. At as a publisher the money you risk has a chance for many times that amount in returns, as a kickstarter thebestcase scenario is that you get what you paid for.

Now-a-days whenever publishers can get away with it, they are sending developers to Kickstarter to get money for games they arealready going to fund and publish. They are profiting, often many times over, from your money. It isn't like it used to be, when gamers saved a worthy studio like Obsidian, as much as I wish it was. Be very, very careful who you give your money to.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Do you think it's not investment?
No. If there's no expectation of wealth generation it's not an investment in my opinion.

The dudes buying underpriced ships and hoping to sell them after supplies run out, that's an investment. But me paying into SC super early just to help a space sim get funded? That's me giving a down payment on an entertainment product.

I'm a layman though, I know little of the SEC and the laws that they abide by and enforce, so my question was genuine and not an argument. Does the SEC have any jurisdiction to regulate a industry where no investment is taking place?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'd like to point out that crowfalls funding is not a joke. Given how they are not developing pve content and its all randomly generated, the 5m and more should be enough. Gordan Walton isn't a dummy when it comes to finaces.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
That's the Master Set which is the ship + 1 of every type of Pod/Module they have come up with so far.

The thing is that's not necessary for the ship to be fully loaded. There are several configurations of the ship that are more or less fully loaded and don't cost anywhere near that. All the Master Set does is give you options.

I was looking at the concept ships trying to find what you are talking about.

What gameplay mechanic is this concept ship allowing?

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I have to say though...Chris Roberts and CIG are awesome at selling dreams.

The MISC Endeavor, this new ship is totally awesome sounding...biodomes for farming in space, seriously!! As someone who spent way too much time just farming and doing traderoutes in Archeage, that sounds so cool.

I really hope that somehow they manage to do it. I'm realistic and I have little doubt that there will be a game, but I know it will not deliver on anything close that what they are promising.

I just hope they deliver enough and it's fun.

But damn they are awesome at making me dream.
smile.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No. If there's no expectation of wealth generation it's not an investment in my opinion.

The dudes buying underpriced ships and hoping to sell them after supplies run out, that's an investment. But me paying into SC super early just to help a space sim get funded? That's me giving a down payment on an entertainment product.

I'm a layman though, I know little of the SEC and the laws that they abide by and enforce, so my question was genuine and not an argument. Does the SEC have any jurisdiction to regulate a industry where no investment is taking place?
You might be able to swing that logic for some KS games but I mean RSI has a secondary market and spaceship speculation LoL. They are running their own market.

I get that it's not traditional and there's no expectation of wealth but that's kind of the point, there should be. Some of these companies are set up where you are literally funding the company but you get none of the growth.

Also, let's take another KS example where one dude buys a 10-20k package, gets to meet designers, visit the studio and gets producer credits. But literally nothing in royalties?

Most KS are half way between unregulated investment/gambling and a scam.

Even if the SEC doesn't specifically get involved there's always the FTC and CFPB.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
Dude, they are still consumers not investors. The ones spending 20k to meet the devs and other bullshit are whales.

Move on already.