Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Pops

To chime in, I highly doubt Roberts is stealing money.Ifthey are running out of money it is because it is shockingly easy to blow through it all on a large project due solely to incompetence, occam's razor is useful here.
He's stealing money from addicts.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread is getting weird. Hard to keep up with all the subplots.

Is a game going to ship?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This thread is getting weird. Hard to keep up with all the subplots.

Is a game going to ship?
Yes, SQ42 will ship. SC is anyone's guess. If I had to put money it will eventually be forced out without all features, the nerdrage at lack of promised stuff will doom the game to be coated in vitriol and hatred and maligned just like the overhyped DNF was.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Who didn't see this shit coming from a light year off? Kick starter for a space game. First thing you do to make said space game is spend all your time developing a shitty FPS. Is it too much to ask for fucking space in my space games now adays?

Yea right.
The dogfighting portion is already both playable and fun. The FPS portion is an important component. Given the progress they're making, within a year or so we should have a working capital ship boarding scenario with single and multi-crew ships assaulting a carrier.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The dogfighting portion is already both playable and fun.The FPS portion is an important component. Given the progress they're making, within a year or so we should have a working capital ship boarding scenario with single and multi-crew ships assaulting a carrier.
Yea yea, I still wanted Freelancer 2 and instead I have to wait for Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I think the real problem here is crowdfunding.

When you go into buisness with investors, you are held responsible for keeping to the buisness plan, to deliver what was promised and have to show, regularly, what you are up to and how much money has been spent and on what.

When you go into buisness with crowdfunding, you dont really have anyone to report to. As long as you are working on the product and do an update now and then, you can claim you are doing your job. Noone has the right (to my knowledge) to see your book, to demand information about spending or such.

CR got a ton of money, has put together some sort of community of development studios and claims they are making progress. This seems to be a new approach to developing a huge game, and an approach that some claim will never work/is not cost-effective. I have never been in the game development world, but it seems to me that they are missing self-imposed deadline after deadline. They have changed the original specs of just what the game is supposed to be (but seem to allow refunds to backers who dont want to be part of this new game) and changed the TOS from a 12 to 18 month refund and disclosing of accounting if they fail to deliver.

His poorly formulated response letter (I am conservative, the president of a company should not be allowed to post something like that....ever. Huge PR department fail, they should have told him to STFU and let them formulate the repsonse, its their JOB) gives the impression of "hey! dont badmouth our product, if we cant sell ships we wont be alble to finish the game! If we have to lay off people its now YOUR fault!", something that sets off some alarms with me.

On the other hand.... DS.... jesus. Yeah he has been working on games since forever, I will give him that. On the other hand he, to my knowledge, has never managed a large project. Of course he has the right to ask questions, anyone has, but looking at his trackrecord and his confrontational style of asking those questions are embarrassing. If he is allowed to be the spokesperson of the people unhappy with the game, they are not doing themselves any favours.

If someone with a good standing in the gaming community would have calmly and directly asked the questions instead, I think we would all have been in a better situation. Now the conflict is in full trench-warfare mode with neither side being able to take a reasonable step back and judge the situation.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
On the upside, this is shaping up to eclipse Sigil and Vanguard for MMO drama. The board is set. The pieces are moving.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Is their parking lot big enough or will Roberts have to set up teleconferencing equipment at a series of parking lots in order to do this right?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
If we are playing that game;

Maybe Sandi can make something in that mocapture studio and they can just mail it to the employees, bypassing the whole parkinglot thing which has already been done?
smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think the real problem here is crowdfunding.

When you go into buisness with investors, you are held responsible for keeping to the buisness plan, to deliver what was promised and have to show, regularly, what you are up to and how much money has been spent and on what.

When you go into buisness with crowdfunding, you dont really have anyone to report to. As long as you are working on the product and do an update now and then, you can claim you are doing your job. Noone has the right (to my knowledge) to see your book, to demand information about spending or such.

CR got a ton of money, has put together some sort of community of development studios and claims they are making progress. This seems to be a new approach to developing a huge game, and an approach that some claim will never work/is not cost-effective. I have never been in the game development world, but it seems to me that they are missing self-imposed deadline after deadline. They have changed the original specs of just what the game is supposed to be (but seem to allow refunds to backers who dont want to be part of this new game) and changed the TOS from a 12 to 18 month refund and disclosing of accounting if they fail to deliver.

His poorly formulated response letter (I am conservative, the president of a company should not be allowed to post something like that....ever. Huge PR department fail, they should have told him to STFU and let them formulate the repsonse, its their JOB) gives the impression of "hey! dont badmouth our product, if we cant sell ships we wont be alble to finish the game! If we have to lay off people its now YOUR fault!", something that sets off some alarms with me.

On the other hand.... DS.... jesus. Yeah he has been working on games since forever, I will give him that. On the other hand he, to my knowledge, has never managed a large project. Of course he has the right to ask questions, anyone has, but looking at his trackrecord and his confrontational style of asking those questions are embarrassing. If he is allowed to be the spokesperson of the people unhappy with the game, they are not doing themselves any favours.

If someone with a good standing in the gaming community would have calmly and directly asked the questions instead, I think we would all have been in a better situation. Now the conflict is in full trench-warfare mode with neither side being able to take a reasonable step back and judge the situation.
Yep.

A big dreamer gets 100 million dollars and no bean counters are above him to whip his ass.

The other, more insidious part to that is that unless this thing gets widespread adoption far beyond the 1 million backers it has now, it's possible they are making more money than they will when they release. I don't know what their subscription plan is though, or how much the whales will be able to (or choose to) p2w post-release.

Phelps McManus

<Silver Donator>
The other, more insidious part to that is that unless this thing gets widespread adoption far beyond the 1 million backers it has now, it's possible they are making more money than they will when they release. I don't know what their subscription plan is though, or how much the whales will be able to (or choose to) p2w post-release.
If playing Age of War: Fire Age taught me anything, it is that whales will certainly double (and triple) down to protect their "advantage". Throwing good money after bad is just human nature.

Pops

He has managed to raise 90 million bucks from his early adopters, by selling them a "product". He would have a line of due diligent backers if he wanted money with strings attached.

The game will ship, when the gravy train dries up.

Why stop too soon?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I kind of see this as something that could be a major problem for them, and all these early access games. They're milking the cow before release now. Once Star Citizen actually does release they may see a small spike in sales but they'll be well into their Long Tail at that point and I just don't see the getting a massive enough spike in sales. Which could very well leave them high and dry for any planned expansions/DLC unless they crowd fund those as well.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I kind of see this as something that could be a major problem for them, and all these early access games. They're milking the cow before release now. Once Star Citizen actually does release they may see a small spike in sales but they'll be well into their Long Tail at that point and I just don't see the getting a massive enough spike in sales. Which could very well leave them high and dry for any planned expansions/DLC unless they crowd fund those as well.
Agree.

They'll have to be hocking new p2w ships and expansions, all sorts of shit to ensure revenue streams if they aren't charging a monthly subscription

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
All they will have to do is keep the art asset pipeline running and they won't have any issue keeping their production team's needs supplied.

That IMO is the least thing to be concerned about.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
All they will have to do is keep the art asset pipeline running and they won't have any issue keeping their production team's needs supplied.

That IMO is the least thing to be concerned about.
If that article is correct then ship sales is only a small part of their income. For a game as expensive as SC is proving to be I'm not sure that could sustain them at their current production values.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
If that article is correct then ship sales is only a small part of their income. For a game as expensive as SC is proving to be I'm not sure that could sustain them at their current production values.
Maybe they'll start selling planets next.