Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
On the upside, this is shaping up to eclipse Sigil and Vanguard for MMO drama. The board is set. The pieces are moving.
suspense.gif

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Nah all they need to do is roll out some more cap ships and alien vessels once the PU is live. Maybe even allow people to "own" (rent) space stations, pirate asteroids, mini death stars that sort of thing. Then they keep expanding the size of the universe as needed to sell more.

Nerds will swarm all over the chance to have their very own pirate asteroid.

Pops

I already flipped one Glaive from 350 to 500. I'm up like 70 bucks off this whole mess so far.
Stuff like this is only meant to be rented. Flip to the unwashed.

I wouldn't touch those big money items. Too illiquid.

People are paying money for nothing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They'll do a kickstarter for an expansion pack with a whole new alien race and 30 new ships to buy (after you kickstart the expac). Of course before the game releases.

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
People are paying money for nothing.
That's been the case with all virtual item markets. Star Citizen is interesting because the items they're selling haven't even been developed yet as far as I can tell. Just some pretty pictures and a list of specs. Maybe a design doc if we're being optimistic and BAM $500. I think Roberts has discovered the future of microtransactions here.

Nerds will swarm all over the chance to have their very own pirate asteroid.
It makes me wonder how much a whole colony would go for. Maybe CIG should sell actual resources, like asteroid mines and orbitals. Just spitballing here.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Some of the ships are complete, some are in various stages of completion, some are 'alpha' stage and others are simply twinkles in CR's eyes.

Emotiv

Silver Squire
So long as they don't isolate the Star Trek and Star Wars crowds, they'll never run out of things to sell.

Christ, they could probably peddle star fleet uniforms for $30 a pop.

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they don't count subscriber revenue in their funding total. If even 10% of their backer base are subscribers, that's another million+ in revenues that most people don't consider when trying to armchair analyze their finances.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they don't count subscriber revenue in their funding total. If even 10% of their backer base are subscribers, that's another million+ in revenues that most people don't consider when trying to armchair analyze their finances.
I would love to see real numbers because I seriously doubt that 10% of backers are subscribers. Subscribing to a game that's not even playable yet goes above and beyond the stupid of paying for ship screenshots.

Blackwulf

N00b
So, I went to reddit to see the response to this article. A guy named Vox_r summed it up pretty well:
"It's too bad. He presents an article with an interesting take that I feel is presented fairly well, but then he's got shit sprinkled around the article that just discredit him and his writing. The shit about "everyone's been fired or quit" in the first image he posts, "DFM was supposed to be one module of several, not the only one we see" while ignoring what's already been released, and suggesting Erin take over for Chris. I don't think he's actually done any research for the present situation for Star Citizen beyond what he saw on the Escapist, or he'd know that Erin's in a very very high level position at this point as Producer (Global Production Manager? Don't remember), which leaves Chris the room to be visionary. That's often how it works in businesses.

He could have provided an interesting perspective from someone who wasn't part of the "old guard", but then just fucked it up without doing any, you know, journalism."

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am wondering about that myself. When you look at the "daily" Funding tab you see a very consistent baseline of 17.800 dollars each day, when there are no sales and other stuff going on. You can not see it now because the Endeavour sale is going on, but in quiet times, you can see that amount show up daily. That made me belief that that is actually the subscriber-income.

That would amount to anywhere from 26700 to 53400 people being subscribed(there are subs from 10 and 20 dollar), which would indeed be about 3.5-7% of the pledgers (700k + people that actually pledged).

If that baseline number is not from subs then I wonder why it is so consistent around the 17k mark.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
So, I went to reddit to see the response to this article. A guy named Vox_r summed it up pretty well:
"It's too bad. He presents an article with an interesting take that I feel is presented fairly well, but then he's got shit sprinkled around the article that just discredit him and his writing. The shit about "everyone's been fired or quit" in the first image he posts, "DFM was supposed to be one module of several, not the only one we see" while ignoring what's already been released, and suggesting Erin take over for Chris. I don't think he's actually done any research for the present situation for Star Citizen beyond what he saw on the Escapist, or he'd know that Erin's in a very very high level position at this point as Producer (Global Production Manager? Don't remember), which leaves Chris the room to be visionary. That's often how it works in businesses.

He could have provided an interesting perspective from someone who wasn't part of the "old guard", but then just fucked it up without doing any, you know, journalism."
Yeah, but r/starcitizen is a bloodycult. They're about two weeks out from sacrificing newbies to the Great God Croberts for the honour of the game.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, but r/starcitizen is a bloodycult. They're about two weeks out from sacrificing newbies to the Great God Croberts for the honour of the game.
wing commander movie trailer - YouTube

Oh, it's a cult alright. This is hilarious, this is how they sound:

"To everyone saying this movie was bad: You have no fucking right to say that you drooling retarded mongoloids. This movie is in pre-pre-postproduction and when it's finished it will make fucking Avatar look like freshman art student's homework. So yeah before you open your toothless rotting gums to criticize this movie why don't you read the Word of Chris Roberts? And if you said a bad word against this movie maybe you can redeem yourself by donating to the development of Star Citizen, the video game to end all video games. You shit eating console horsefuckers. Chris Roberts came to SAVE the fucking movie industry and you disgusting cretins say bad things about it? You cocksucking muppets."

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Apple is a cult too, seems to have worked out well.

We live in the age of the consumer cult.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Thats how i read it too.