Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yes. I played CStrike competitively and a few other FPS games. But twitch skill is all about practice (more so than MMOs). The muscle memory, coordination and perception has a lot to do with natural talent, but needs an immense amount of time to practice. The ability to see animations, predict behaviors and react accordingly within 100-300ms is what people sometimes deride as 'twitch', and it's something you have to train. So yeah, it's not an excuse.

I don't really know what kind of game SC will turn into, but I know that there's a lot of whales in it who probably suck and are in for a rude awakening when they find out that the $1000 ship they bought turns out to be underpowered and a $200 saitek hotas they got turns out to not be the most effective input device.

Whether I deliver the ass kicking or a 13 year old with a Dell-brand mouse and his fotm ship earned from ingame effort does is unimportant!
Other than the Vanduul Scythe, which is expensive for pure vanity reasons not balance ones, I'm pretty sure all the ships that costs more than 250 dollars are like, BIG ships. Capital ships and large, role specific things, not fighters.

If gimbals stay the way they are currently, I'm willing to bet the best input methods will be joystick + mouse or joystick + trackIR. As much as the joystick complainers say mouse is OP for aiming, its still pretty mediocre for flying.

Variise

N00b
I'm waiting for a while as well before I put money into input devices but I'm more a MFG Crosswind + Black Mamba person. Still I want to see what they plan to do with the official SC HOTAS. The poll they had on it said people want what I just described but not willing to pay more than $150 for it. What a sad joke when people don't realize that top end gear will cost them upwards of $1,000 not $150. But what do you expect from people.

As for FPS I'm pretty good. Mostly because I play with the exact same setup in every single game I play and refuse to play games that don't allow it. I have games I paid for I never got past the first 5 minutes of gameplay because stupid devs refused to put proper keyboard customization into the game leaving out keys I depend on. That's part of my trick. I can play any game and still get good practice in without having to re-learn the controls. I use ASDF left strafe, forward, backward, right strafe. After about 4-6 weeks of getting used to that over WASD I improved my game 4 fold. I can thank one of the #1 Quake players for that tip. But in reality I'm just average... I have a lot of practice that puts me above the average player that has no proper training/experience. Hell one of the best players I ever seen isn't a guy but a girl I played ME3 MP with. In fact I was surprised to learn how good girls can be or perhaps I just ran into a real amazing team of them. I'm pretty good but she was easily 3 times more efficient than I am and efficiency is everything when resources are scarce. You want those kinds of people on your side and dread when they are opposite you. I wonder how some people will react when they learn that some girl capped their ass. hah!

SC will change drastically before it launches too. You won't be one hit killing people with missiles with their shields still up and armor full. You will have to earn those kills and when fights drag on efficiency is all that will matter... who wears down who first.

FPS will also not allow one shot kills but it will allow one shot incapacitation. Beware the headshots, elbows and toes sticking out disabling you or slowing you down. Knowing the layout of an FPS engagement will mean more than almost anything else too. Going into an area unknown to you will be the most dangerous thing you can ever do. Even a novice with a shotgun can cap you in the back of the head at point blank range if you are caught unawares.

Sounds like lots of fun to be had! On that note expect FPS to be a mess at launch. We will have to do our duty and inform CIG on how to improve the "feel" of it. My only concern is that I can fully map the movement controls otherwise... yeah

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Semi off topic for one sec...

I have a M50 with LTI I would sell to a rerolled member for whatever the fair market price is. (if anyone is interested)

(I don't want to melt it, and have other ships already)

Variise

N00b
I got 150 for each of mine when I got rid of them through a middleman. Up to you what you sell it for but there is always risk involved.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious to see how much money they'll make this weekend with 5 new ships for sales, a category that they haven't sold before I think...Transport Ships.

At prices of $60, $90, $200, $350, $500 they are covering all budgets and interest seems to be way high on the forums. Although it seems a lot will melt existing ships to get those new ones.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Probably not that much, since they have no use in AC, but I could be totally off.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The idea of people 'melting' virtual ships for a game that's not out yet cracks me up.

Blackwulf

N00b
The idea of people 'melting' virtual ships for a game that's not out yet cracks me up.
People have hobbies, bro. We all escape reality in our own way. I can't figure guys out that are all into baseball stats or fantasy football. I've got a couple ships in my hangar though, and sometimes I load up the game just to walk around them and think about what I'll do when the PU launches.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Just curious (did this with Archage as well), and I'm sure its talked about elsewhere in this thread but I don't wanna dig through 55 pages to find it:

1. Starter packages, best bang for the buck? There's two 45 dollar buy in packages, what's the major pros/cons of each
2. Is it worth buying in at a slightly higher price to get a better ship, and if so, what do the people here suggest?
3. I realize actual release date is like probably sometime in 2016, but is the arena combat module and whatever else is available kinda cool/worth buying in now to dick around with?

Basically, if someone is bored and wants to give a short summary of what a new player should know before buying in, I'd appreciate it.

Blackwulf

N00b
Just curious (did this with Archage as well), and I'm sure its talked about elsewhere in this thread but I don't wanna dig through 55 pages to find it:

1. Starter packages, best bang for the buck? There's two 45 dollar buy in packages, what's the major pros/cons of each
2. Is it worth buying in at a slightly higher price to get a better ship, and if so, what do the people here suggest?
3. I realize actual release date is like probably sometime in 2016, but is the arena combat module and whatever else is available kinda cool/worth buying in now to dick around with?

Basically, if someone is bored and wants to give a short summary of what a new player should know before buying in, I'd appreciate it.
Starter package is all you need. You can play the various Arena Commander (very fun and worth dicking around with) game modes with either starter ship. They both kinda suck, but you can earn REC (rental credits) enough to rent a Gladius within a few hours of playing. You'll have that rental for a week, and can earn more REC with it!

If you decide you love the game (or the idea of it), and you want to pitch in more spare cash, you can throw down money for a better ship for use in the PU when it launches. Totally not a requirement. You'll be able to earn/steal ships in game when it launches.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Starter package is all you need. You can play the various Arena Commander (very fun and worth dicking around with) game modes with either starter ship. They both kinda suck, but you can earn REC (rental credits) enough to rent a Gladius within a few hours of playing. You'll have that rental for a week, and can earn more REC with it!

If you decide you love the game (or the idea of it), and you want to pitch in more spare cash, you can throw down money for a better ship for use in the PU when it launches. Totally not a requirement. You'll be able to earn/steal ships in game when it launches.
Good to know. Thanks.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I would just get a starter package, and play with those and earn REC and rent the ships you want to try. While Arena Commander is fun, it's not worth spending more than a basic package on in my opinion. You can easily earn enough to have the ship you want almost all the time, even with the REC nerf.

You can always upgrade your ship later if you want to, so investing in one ship is not lost if you want to change later on.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I have an extra Mustang Alpha starter package for sale. Don't need it now that I bought a Delta.

Packages are tradable via the account interface, its not like an account sale.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I have an extra Mustang Alpha starter package for sale. Don't need it now that I bought a Delta.

Packages are tradable via the account interface, its not like an account sale.
If vald doesn't want it, what are you asking? Does it include arena commander/fps module/squadron 42 when that releases? I haven't looked into SC too much until recently, but I'm probably snagging a starter package soon. I know I was looking at the AMD ships in january and they didn't include arena commander and such.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
None of the starter packages have FPS access. That's gonna be another 5 dollars when it comes out. It does have SQ42.

Realistically you're better off buying it from the store anyway. The cheapest I could really sell it for is 38 dollars, and I can liquidate it for 38.25 in store credit. It's probably not worth the paypal hassle when you can just buy it for 45.

All the AMD packages come with Arena Commander, but the later ones didn't come with SQ42.

You could wait and see if they include the FPS pass in the starter package after the FPS comes out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Uh, any ships or packages you bought from the store can be converted back to store credit if you don't want it anymore. It's usually 100% of the base price. I got the starter account during a promotion.

Also packages that are gifted to you can be melted for their original price as well.