Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Why would that be a better question for a game that hasn't changed its design, had its kickstarter 5 months ago and is planning its alpha at the end of year?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why would that be a better question for a game that hasn't changed its design, had its kickstarter 5 months ago and is planning its alpha at the end of year?
Because it's budget is next to fucking nothing and they aren't raising money for jack shit. Hell they can't even afford to pay a dlist actress to make videos anymore.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I miss Natalie too, Abe.
frown.png

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I know it's fun to take shots at each game and their fanbases but I really hope they are both successful. I don't agree with what SC has done with adding all this shit. A fps Module seems like a perfect Xpac to sell to your playerbase once you get the game up and running. The good news is the bad reviews from former employees crying about not getting payed well and no benifits. Less money in their pockets and more spent on the game.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I know it's fun to take shots at each game and their fanbases but I really hope they are both successful. I don't agree with what SC has done with adding all this shit. A fps Module seems like a perfect Xpac to sell to your playerbase once you get the game up and running. The good news is the bad reviews from former employees crying about not getting payed well and no benifits. Less money in their pockets and more spent on the game.
That last sentence, Not sure if i should ftfy or what.

Do you think money not spent on salaries is being spent at the game store buying more game or something?

Other than the minute margin being spent to lease office space and hardware how do you think money is spent to make this game?

Ftfy would be, more frugal salaries = more employees (not sure how good that is since feature creep is out of control) or more money in the bank for runway before they need a real revenue stream beyond selling pixels.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That last sentence, Not sure if i should ftfy or what.

Do you think money not spent on salaries is being spent at the game store buying more game or something?

Other than the minute margin being spent to lease office space and hardware how do you think money is spent to make this game?

Ftfy would be, more frugal salaries = more employees (not sure how good that is since feature creep is out of control) or more money in the bank for runway before they need a real revenue stream beyond selling pixels.
They obviously outsourced things that didn't require full time employees. That is cheaper then bringing them on full time and paying them benifits and everything else.

Variise

N00b
I think at this point the best answer to a lot of the bullshit arguments is content. Either Star Marine will impress or it won't. Why the fuck do you think they are holding it back. All this bullshit has basically become self fulfilling and Travis Day said as much during his FPS interview that clearly nobody here watched. By the time they got a marginally working version they wanted to push, people were up in arms about how impressed they have to be with it or it better be good for the wait. To those of you loudly banging the drums this whole time... You dumb motherfuckers. SC has been in dev for what 3 years? 4.25 if you really stretch it and include the million plus Chris blew out of his own pocket to make the pitch video with placeholder assets and worked with basically 2-3 people including a couple of people at Crytek pro bono some of whom have since been hired in the past year plus Dave who wrote the SQ42 script. Go ahead and start looking around the dev times on AAA titles. It's anywhere from 5-10 years not including pre-development which is the design doc. The level of uneducated dumbfuckery required to actually think they can take a AAA game of this scope and shit out its guts in a few months is astounding. EA with its virtually unlimited budget for AAA games will work on the guts with almost nothing to show for about 5 years before you get to see anything resembling content. SC would have to spend the next 2 years, by that measure, before showing us anything remotely playable.

Is that the case? No? Then maybe you can stop with the torches and pitchforks and let them work. Some of you are the very reason we don't fucking have an early Alpha Star Marine and instead have to wait months so they can polish it at least to the point of where AC is now which took a year to reach... in months.

Sorry but I had to get that off my chest. People can be fucking stupid but stupid shouldn't be allowed to spread like a virus.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am not worried at all. I think it's amazing that CIG already has provided us with playable stuff, viewable stuff, "walk around in" stuff, a Company/Guild portal, mini-games, and the awesomest PR, including physical brochures of Star Ships that are already collectible. Oh, and oogling Sandi though I thought her a bit scary at first.

I am totally 40-dollars worth of hyped still for this game. Just looking at a video of the Cargo system or the Mobiglass is worth a dollar already. Dreams don't come cheap.

Not kidding, I think this game will deliver. Will take a long time but it will.

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm not worried, either. Shit, boys, I've followed MMO's with nothing but teaser interviews for 5+ years of development. I think the problem is that SC is up to 900K+ citizens. That's a lot of people, and you're going to have a percentage of people that are just dumb fucks. They're going to think that their pledge makes them a producer with rights to any and all info. They're going to think this game shouldn't take any longer than the next Modern Warfare. I mean, shit, if even 1% of the 900k backers are dumb fucks, that's 9000 full on retards assaulting the internet because their butts are chapped by this or that.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Derek smart is my favorite internet personality. He's fucking insane and ego-maniacal to a comical degree, and the reason he's doing this is because star citizens concept is what he's been trying to do since like 1997 and he got roasted nonstop for making awful games. I got banned from his steam forum for a single negative post. also he has had temper tantrums and beat up coke machines. Still relevant and amusing:

Derek Smarts DESKTOP COMMANDER! - YouTube

Carl_sl

shitlord
"Big announcement" about SQ42 coming at gamescom. Maybe they'll talk about the release of the first episode... Or maybe it will just be more information that no one cares about because we just want the game.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My bet is on a virtual space bar full of german beer for the SQ42 spacefarers.
Gamescom is in Germany after all.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
big announcement = a new imaginary spaceship for sale
This almost made me spill my drink.
smile.png

On a serious note, my guess is that they'll show some footage from the 3 months of motion capture that they just finish shooting.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Big announcement is going to be multicrew up on the PTU supposedly. Makes sense, tons of other games have multicrew vehicles, not like it's a hard thing to do, so no surprise it would be nearing release already.