Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

bayr_sl

shitlord
Why did they go from "we're offering The Escapist a tour of our studios" to "lol we're suing you. ID badges? Smoking gun!"

Didn't that guy also give them pay stubs. And the ID could be anything, it could be employee badges from conventions or what have you. We have no idea but all the Star Citizen idiots are jerking themselves off over Chris Roberts getting litigious because someone dared criticize his golden goose

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Why did they go from "we're offering The Escapist a tour of our studios" to "lol we're suing you. ID badges? Smoking gun!"
Probably because Escapist kept posting more articles and did a podcast doubling down on their story and its sources.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I need some popcorn to go with all this drama.
smile.png

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Didn't that guy also give them pay stubs. And the ID could be anything, it could be employee badges from conventions or what have you. We have no idea but all the Star Citizen idiots are jerking themselves off over Chris Roberts getting litigious because someone dared criticize his golden goose
They're flailing, which to me is pretty telling.

'You didn't give us time to respond!'
'You didn't verify your sources!'
'They are disgruntled employees! Who are they anyway?'
'Your journalist is an unethical child'
'We actually have 2 black employees! Look!'
'Apologize to my wife or else we duel at sunrise!'

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
if we've learned anything from the last few years of media coverage is that no one actually gives a shit about journalistic integrity. And i'm not just talking about gaming journalism.

yo dawg did you hear that only 35% of fauxNews articles are true?

Whoopity shit, only 42% of CNN is true, and that's the best case scenario/highest integrity of all US news sources.

When I, a US service member stationed abroad, found myself splitting my time between BBC and fucking Al Jazeera - Asia edition to find out what's happening inamericathen the news is truly fucked. Congratulations internet, you killed journalism.

thankfully the new season of south park is on, I'll get my news from that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Didn't that guy also give them pay stubs. And the ID could be anything, it could be employee badges from conventions or what have you.
The author confirmed via twitter it was those generic HID cards:Liz O

Which means the only confirmation on their anonymous sources the Escapist has provided has turned out to be false or misunderstood by the Escapist. This should give you pause to take the Escapist at their word for whatever other confirmation was performed for their anonymous sources.

And yeah, the SC nerds who think Chris Roberts getting litigious is some kind of indefensible salvo are kidding themselves as they drink the koolaid.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The author confirmed via twitter it was those generic HID cards:Liz O

Which means the only confirmation on their anonymous sources the Escapist has provided has turned out to be false or misunderstood by the Escapist. This should give you pause to take the Escapist at their word for whatever other confirmation was performed for their anonymous sources.

And yeah, the SC nerds who think Chris Roberts getting litigious is some kind of indefensible salvo are kidding themselves as they drink the koolaid.
For anyone who hasn't read how The Escapist vetted the information and sources:The Escapist Explains Its Star Citizen Sources, Vetting and Response | Video Games | The Escapist

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For anyone who hasn't read how The Escapist vetted the information and sources:The Escapist Explains Its Star Citizen Sources, Vetting and Response | Video Games | The Escapist
From that link:
Escapist_sl said:
the seventh did not use his real name, but did show pay stubs and a Cloud Imperium Games ID with the name blacked out.
The card in question, identified by the author:
HID ProxII lg.jpg

I'm just disappointed I'm on a machine that doesn't have mspaint, but just imagine me writing derek smart on that card then poorly blacking it out.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ya, that one source out of the 7 is questionable, but he/she did show pay stubs so *shrug*

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ya, that one source out of the 7 is questionable, but he/she did show pay stubs so *shrug*
Yes, the one source that they've leaked out enough information to be proven wrong on is bad. That makes them 0/1 and they have the ability to confirm at least two of the other ones. At this point I think you want to believe the Escapist as much as whales want to believe Chris Roberts.

I know we're both just in it for the laughs but the SC scene is a mystery. The foundational question is whether they will publish a game that gives respect to the $100 million they've received. Built upon that is how much in over their head they are. And related to that is whether Chris Roberts et all are pissing money away until the ponzi scheme runs out. If you're going to try and answer these questions, don't start by basing your research on bullshit.

Maybe their sources are good. Maybe later this week they'll write a proper article with attributions and real journalism that confirms the most egregious claims they published. Maybe they'll even get leaked information about CiG's financials that show their funding is almost up and any revenue increasing games are many months away from release. Maybe that is the catalyst to pop the SC bubble and dooms the entire franchise. But right now that hasn't happened. All we have is a shitty article making a bunch of claims and backed only on the word of a disreputable publication.

Cathex_sl

shitlord
They neglect to mention that The Escapist verified identities with blacked out pay stubs. They also verified identity with Skype call comparisons to LinkedIn profiles.

In fact, cruising over to lizzy's Twitter reveals that she used CIG ID badges for verification. These badges can be seen being worn in videos of the Star Citizen offices. They may not use employee 'ID cards', but anyone can verify for themselves that they do indeed use badges (like the kind for opening doors).

rrr_img_111913.jpg
Oh dang, that's my buddy Darian. Good guy right there.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't give a fuck about Star Citizen or The Escapist. I just like watching shite employers get burned to the fucking ground. Extra points if they happen to be rich egomaniacs who fleece grognards with hopium-fuelled pixel spaceships.

Cathex_sl

shitlord
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't give a fuck about Star Citizen or The Escapist. I just like watching shite employers get burned to the fucking ground. Extra points if they happen to be rich egomaniacs who fleece grognards with hopium-fuelled pixel spaceships.
Yeah, this. I can't stand the P2W crowdfunding model, but hey, I guess it worked out pretty well for them. I just hope SC makes it for the sake of some friends employed by CIG.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
From that link:

The card in question, identified by the author:
HID ProxII lg.jpg

I'm just disappointed I'm on a machine that doesn't have mspaint, but just imagine me writing derek smart on that card then poorly blacking it out.
I mean if you're going to declare the ProxCard IIs the smoking gun at least recognize that you can customize them, print on them and/or affix labels which many companies do:

1326 ProxCard II® Clamshell Card - Proximity Access Control - HID Global

Price competitive with all other card technologies.
Offers universal compatibility with all HID proximity card readers.
Provides durable packaging and consistent read range.
Provides an external number for easy identification and access control.
Supports formats up to 85 bits, with over 137 billion codes.
Custom pre-printed artwork available.
A PVC overlay allows for on-site photo ID using most direct image printers.
Thin enough to carry in a wallet or purse.
Create Photo ID card with model 1324 Printable Adhesive Label

Blackwulf

N00b
rrr_img_111920.jpg
I mean if you're going to declare the ProxCard IIs the smoking gun at least recognize that you can customize them, print on them and/or affix labels which many companies do:

1326 ProxCard II® Clamshell Card - Proximity Access Control - HID Global
Edit for Palum: That's Ben Lesnick - he's, I guess, the head community guy at CIG. Sorry I assumed people in this thread were following the game. He's just demonstrating that their HID cards are, indeed, blank key cards and not "ID Cards" that could be used to verify an employee.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Cool I have some blanks too. Is that Chris Roberts or something? I don't know what that picture means.