Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure about the total amount, but I did find this YouTube video that shows some of it and how Chris Roberts and his boys spend it.

[/ISPOILER]
Yeah you can really tell how they are managing the funds. They also made this video, which does an excellent job of summing up the drive behind the vision.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

this is from sept 20, 2022
1687181048886.png

today, so $10m per month
1687180948490.png

• 1WTF
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
For Star Citizen, I'm trying to figure out how these guys make money. They'll get completely blown up, or have parts of their ship destroyed, and it doesn't seem to faze them. Is there no real loss in the game?
Currently all ships are auto insured for free, so you can crash and burn an infinite amount of times cause once you buy a ship it's yours forever.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
this is from sept 20, 2022
View attachment 478648
today, so $10m per month
View attachment 478647

This makes me angry because I just think about how you might need only 10-20 million to make Freespace 3 and that probably isn't going to ever happen. (The engine is open source and modders still use it to this day to make space combat sims). Maybe someday the fate of Star Citizen will move space combat sim fans towards that because they're still wanting something to play, or they played it and want more.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This makes me angry because I just think about how you might need only 10-20 million to make Freespace 3 and that probably isn't going to ever happen. (The engine is open source and modders still use it to this day to make space combat sims). Maybe someday the fate of Star Citizen will move space combat sim fans towards that because they're still wanting something to play, or they played it and want more.
If it makes you feel better I'm pretty sure those funding numbers are fabricated.

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
If I was going to launder cash for the cartels this is how I'd it. Make bots to make accounts for your online video game, feed them money from international accounts, small amounts at a time. Toss some fake whale accounts in there for good measure. Use the funds of purchased virtual goods (hopeium) to fund other laundering activities. It would be a nightmare to sort all that out forensically.

They could even simulate all those accounts logging in and doing things players do. They've already showcased their virtual world simulation stuff.

• 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If I was going to launder cash for the cartels this is how I'd it.
Not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but there are substantially easier ways to move even more cash.

It would be a nightmare to sort all that out forensically.
Not at all.

They could even simulate all those accounts logging in and doing things players do. They've already showcased their virtual world simulation stuff.
This is 100% pointless.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My conspiracy theory is that they are both spending much less $$$ than they claim and are receiving private investment to keep the dream afloat. There just isn't enough interest in the game to support the stats they publish. I don't have any data or experience to support the theory.

I don't think it's money laundering or a scam anything, just overstating revenue and expenditures.

Last edited:

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My conspiracy theory is that they are both spending much less $$$ than they claim and are receiving private investment to keep the dream afloat. There just isn't enough interest in the game to support the stats they publish. I don't have any data or experience to support the theory.

I don't think it's money laundering or a scam anything, just overstating revenue and expenditures.

Europe is a big market, this is mostly a Euro game right?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Europe is a big market, this is mostly a Euro game right?
Most of the dev team is based in the UK, with some more in Germany after they purchased the Crytek engine. Officially, Robert's company is american, but that's where the majority of the staff is.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Of course the numbers are bloated so it appears like thousands of new contributors keep joining.

Need to create FOMO.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just invested in ten sets of Extras - Weapons & Armor Collection - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 since it's 30% off. I got the ten sets because it's pretty easy to lose them when you die due to an elevator crushing you or being ejected for no reason into the sun and you don't respawn with your gear. Corpse recoveries for purchased gear is peak gaming.
I think I will invest around the same amount in another game.

1689191900236.png

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just invested in ten sets of Extras - Weapons & Armor Collection - Roberts Space Industries | Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 since it's 30% off. I got the ten sets because it's pretty easy to lose them when you die due to an elevator crushing you or being ejected for no reason into the sun and you don't respawn with your gear. Corpse recoveries for purchased gear is peak gaming.

So you paid for a temporary bandaid to fix what is essentially a game problem?

• 1Picard

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>

Yeah saw that, sarcasm aside. What a shitty way to treat your customers. Sell stuff for real life cash that you can lose in game to bugs.

Sure you get it back on server reset whenever that happens, and they are supposedly working on a feature so that you don't lose stuff you pay real money for. Still pretty predatory to take advantage of people like that, people who are not aware that you can lose that stuff in game are going to get pissed off...hope they lose a few people over this.

Oh what I am saying, they're probably going to sell 100M worth of that stuff in a month.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Tuco Tuco just doing his part to ensure we can't have nice things.

Unless my sarcasm detector is broken. Does RSI sell insurance for those too?

Last edited:
  • 1Picard

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Guise don't you know, this is the game that's not only gonna change the gaming industry but society as a whole, hell the war in Ukraine will stop and pay attention to this game, the Scam Citizen crowd and Croberts said so.

At this point the backers are funding his retirement.