Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I guess that's sound financial advice. It's okay to spend money stupid, so long as people you know are spending it stupider.

This game will be an interesting case study when it's done. I'm personally far too bitter to give money to any game developer- I have known so much disappointment that I simply cant believe. I can certainly understand the people who hold out hope that this might amount to something, though.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I feel like this game won't ever materialize because it feels like Chris Roberts is playing the role of Curt Schilling and we're all Rhode Island. Which is to say whatever his intentions are, and whether or not he truly wants to just make a spaceship game because he likes spaceships, he's an utter incompetent and his studio (or the several studios in this case) are all disorganized messes and various people are taking advantage of him. He'll still take the blame for the 40 million dollar catastrophe that is bound to happen.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Time to pony up I think. Thnking Freelancer.

rrr_img_64658.jpg

rrr_img_64659.jpg

rrr_img_64660.jpg

rrr_img_64661.jpg

Raign

Golden Squire
For the brief period during the demo that it wasn't shitting the bed, it actually looked amazing and got me really fired up for the game. That said, he mentions in the video 'later this month or early next month for the dog fight module' which I think is a mistake because anything remotely like the shit-show that was their demo at PAX will sour a lot of people. Better the hold off until it really is at least somewhat stable before they try pushing it out.

Variise

N00b
Well they mentioned that it will be released in the next few weeks. To temper that they also said it will be rolled out very gradually and based largely on when people first pledged, then how much and subscribers. To further temper that Erin mentioned that they will only add more to each group if the server can handle it and they will continue to spin up more and more servers as they add more people. I think the first few hundred people will have the roughest. Considering when I pledged and how much I pledged I'll probably be somewhere in the front of the pack but I don't have a computer that can run the DFM. Maybe several months from now.. maybe after the summer. Waiting on AMD to get their next act together before I decide what to buy.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I feel like this game won't ever materialize because it feels like Chris Roberts is playing the role of Curt Schilling and we're all Rhode Island. Which is to say whatever his intentions are, and whether or not he truly wants to just make a spaceship game because he likes spaceships, he's an utter incompetent and his studio (or the several studios in this case) are all disorganized messes and various people are taking advantage of him. He'll still take the blame for the 40 million dollar catastrophe that is bound to happen.
I mean, its the internet and you are welcome to be as hardboiled bitter as you like but Chris Roberts isn't anything like Curt or Brad. Chris has shipped tons of products, has several movie producer credits (regardless of how good they were) and is making overt, demonstrable progress with this game. Besides, this chair is usually reserved for Ut.

If you are all lemon-y about the demo, I wouldn't get too worked up about that at all. At least, I am not. If you hear his explanation, its perfectly logical and stuff like that happens all the time. It would have been a worse portent if they had sworn off showing it all together.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yah, nothing is 100% sure, but i dont think this will crash and burn. Maybe they will release a bit later, maybe some features will be cut for initial release (boarding stuff & cap-ships?) but they will do it. Also dont forget that there is a single player game/campaign which could be released prior to the "MMO" game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well they mentioned that it will be released in the next few weeks. To temper that they also said it will be rolled out very gradually and based largely on when people first pledged, then how much and subscribers. To further temper that Erin mentioned that they will only add more to each group if the server can handle it and they will continue to spin up more and more servers as they add more people. I think the first few hundred people will have the roughest. Considering when I pledged and how much I pledged I'll probably be somewhere in the front of the pack but I don't have a computer that can run the DFM. Maybe several months from now.. maybe after the summer. Waiting on AMD to get their next act together before I decide what to buy.
As someone who paid the minimal amount to get alpha access I am 100% okay with them ordering access over a couple weeks to a month based entirely on how much money you laid down.

Variise

N00b
As someone who paid the minimal amount to get alpha access I am 100% okay with them ordering access over a couple weeks to a month based entirely on how much money you laid down.
lol Yeah well there is that I suppose. But no computer to run it on. Come on Valve and AMD... get your shit together.

Kenadul

Golden Knight of the Realm
I think Chris was definitely a little tipsy there haha. I can't imagine them saying they are ready to release the dog fighting module soon if those problems weren't really due to a system change at the last minute. It will be really interesting to see how this plays out. Like someone else mentioned if this flops, kickstarter games on a large scale are done.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
That's an astounding analysis Aleksei.

I find it impressive that the money just keeps on rolling in.

Carl_sl

shitlord
So it feels like people forget that module releases aren't meant to be working smoothly, they are early alpha packages to keep you entertained while you wait. This game is a very long way from release but it's supposed to be a long way from release, and a similarly long way from blowing through their money.

Raign

Golden Squire
So it feels like people forget that module releases aren't meant to be working smoothly, they are early alpha packages to keep you entertained while you wait. This game is a very long way from release but it's supposed to be a long way from release, and a similarly long way from blowing through their money.
I don't think that's an issue with anyone on a gaming board like this, honestly. Most people here eat, sleep and breath games and we 100% understand that this is early alpha and what that entails. The point some were driving to though, is that when you release things to the public, it should be relatively clean and functional. There are a lot of people who have not been following this game and are not even aware of what 'alpha' means that are going to see it and judge it at face value -- which is to say, not very highly.

As gamers, we have a vested interest in seeing this succeed - first because the market is such a shit hole right now and desperately needs a breath of life, and second because this project was funded entirely by the people who want to play it, a precedent that could really help the industry at large. Games, made for and funded by people passionate about gaming, by people who are passionate about making games -- no production company with alternate (and often conflicting) agendas required.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Hard to believe it's been nearly a year and a half since I backed this. I don't follow updates closely knowing we had a long way to go, not sure if I should go back to ignoring it for another year or if things are coming together enough to start paying attention.

Del

Vyemm Raider
These guys miss their dates more than Blizzard, Valve, and Sony combined.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord